PDA

View Full Version : Intro from noobee

Pages : [1] 2

vet
07-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while now, and did a few posts. Thought I should introduce myself.

I live in northern Illinois in a small town (pop 2000). I have a 2007 F-150 (black/black) FX2 Sport, and the wife's car is a 2005 Pacifica (gold/champagn). I take the truck in parades for my VFW, so I like to keep it looking good. It's a daily driver, so it has a few dings but generally OK. The truck has chrome rocker and tailgate accents, and a flag/eagle bug deflector, with silver tape on pin stripe, and tonneau. Yeah, I'm the guy who would be cleaning/waxing the truck in the motel parking lot before a parade.

Now that I retired from a tire factory job, am looking to do a few things to keep busy, but enjoy doing. My garage is not set up to do detailing, too small, no drain, and the driveway isn't shaded, so usually do cleaning in back yard. And there are a few detailing people in town with facilities, but they do it as a side line.

I'm a Viet Nam veteran, (hence the name), and 6 years of active Army Reserve, Commander of the local VFW, and not real computer literate, so forgive me if I mess up on some of my posts, or don't see and answer everything. The forum seems like a good group of people that aren't judgemental. I like that!

Haven't ordered anything from AG yet, getting a feel for what I need and can afford, as I have champagne tastes and Boones Farm pocketbook. Have been using the OTC waxes, in search of 'the best', and decided after forum, I ain't gonna find it there. People have complimented me on the way my vehicles look, even if I think they're kind of dirty. If we ever get to Florida, I figure on visiting AG in person.

love the forum, but spend way too much time reading it all!

2kredbb6
07-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Welcome neighbor..
Your answers to your questions will be answered..

If they get complemented dirty imagine after you get some knowledge from here!

CEE DOG
07-06-2010, 11:09 AM
:welcome:

Thanks for the great intro and look forward to seeing you around. :xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
07-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

The forum seems like a good group of people that aren't judgmental. I like that!

We like that we're seen this way, I belong to a lot of forums and have been posting to forums since they were invented (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/24038-discussion-forums-relatively-new-invention.html) and one thing I personal like and we try to create here on AG is a fun and friendly forum.

If we ever get to Florida, I figure on visiting AG in person.

Maybe a class?

love the forum, but spend way too much time reading it all!

:dblthumb2:

eversio
07-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Welcome, I'm pretty new myself. :welcome:

Where in N. Illinois are you from? I grew up in the Chicagoland area, but I also know the Dekalb/Sycamore area pretty well.

vet
07-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Stockton, it's around 150 miles west of Chi-town. About 12 moles from Wisconsin, and either 20 or 40 miles to Iowa, depending on where you want to cross over.

Appreciate the reply. What I think is dirty and what other people think is dirty are sometimes two differnt things.

I've lways said some people think of a car as going from point a to point B, but I like to go from point a to point B in something I'm proud to arrive in. I've seen and rode in some limos that don't look as good as my truck. Not bragging, I just think if that looks of a vehicle reflects on your attitude toward your business or life in general. I know, Sam Walton drove around in an old pick up. Maybe that's why he was a rich man, and i'm not, but I'd rather drive something I'm proud to be seen in, even if I'm not well to do.

Not to offend, but Chicago drives me nuts, havn't been there for a few years, but just don't like driving in there.

I've been to DeKalb a long time ago, and I have a best friend who lived in the Aurora area a long time ago. He moved here around '64, and I was best Man at his wedding after we grew up.

vet
07-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Mike, if I ever get to Florida, I would love to take a class, but you might find me rather ignorant on the methods and techniques. I didn't realize how much I didn't know!

ryanbabz71
07-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Not to offend, but Chicago drives me nuts, havn't been there for a few years, but just don't like driving in there.

haha I was there a few wks ago. I love the town hate driving there. It never ceases to amaze me at what I see. We seen a John Deere Tractor (large one) driving down Lake Shore Drive.

vet
07-09-2010, 07:27 AM
haha I was there a few wks ago. I love the town hate driving there. It never ceases to amaze me at what I see. We seen a John Deere Tractor (large one) driving down Lake Shore Drive.
:iagree:It just seems everybody there but me seems to know where they're going. Actually, a big John Deere would be a good vehicle for me, I could see the signs better, and not be worried about people cutting me off or hitting me. And not to worry about the speed, traffic on what ever road I'm on is usually at a stand-still most of the time. (Gas mileage would probably be as good as my truck in traffic also).

Just not used to big-city driving, so it's a little intimidating for an ol' country boy. My daughter lives in Springfield, and I can find my way around there now, although I don't take the shortest routes.

Mike Phillips
07-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Just not used to big-city driving, so it's a little intimidating for an ol' country boy.

I agree... I moved from a small town in Oregon to Irvine, California and then started driving the I-15 which is like driving in a defensive destruction derby...

:)

vet
07-09-2010, 08:43 PM
I agree... I moved from a small town in Oregon to Irvine, California and then started driving the I-15 which is like driving in a defensive destruction derby...

:)

Sounds like I 90/94 out of Madison. Those people seem to think that's the speed limit, not the road number. Went through there in Dec 05, just started with a freezing mist, and they were still driving 70 in Madison. Saw a few all-wheel and 4 wheel drive vehicles with wheels toward the sky, but people were still buzzing around. Crazy!

Ever been to Washington DC? I think the politicians made the road signs there, it takes a lawyer to figure out what some of them mean, and that's hard when traffic is moving 70 in a 45 zone. Good thing I had a rental that trip.:bump2:

eversio
07-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Yep I don't much like to drive in Chicago either. Usually just take a train or taxi for where I need to go.

Old Tiger
07-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Welcome aboard! There are a few of us older guys here. It is mostly a young guys board but you will find them to be great! Thank you for your service. BTW I am a USN vet.

vet
07-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Thanks Tiger! Right back at you on the service. My best friend was on the USS Oriskany during 'Nam, it's a coral reef now. Another friend was on LSTs in WWII, I think he was on his way to invade Japan when they dropped the big ones and ended the war. That would be scary.

Finding the forum very interesting. Noticing your vehicles, looks like you are opting for for comfort as opposed to raw power. Me too. I'd still like to have an old muscle car with a 4-speed, but not every day.

Vette 03
07-11-2010, 11:48 AM
:buffing:Thanks for your service in NAM I was supposed to go with my buddies! But I got injured in a Game at College and when the draft came up that year they would not take me due to Injury? But all the Friends that went ended up not coming back, except one and he passed in a accident on the NW tollway after 4 months back from NAM! I live in chicago area suburb! You will find a lot of friendly and good people on this forum no matter what age, good luck with your endeavors and thanks again for your service!!!:hotrod2: