PDA

View Full Version : What is the 'best' wash mitt?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Christopher
07-06-2010, 12:54 AM
I am looking for a good wash mitt for my cars. They are a 2008 highlander hybrid, silver // 2002 jeep wrangler, silver // 2010 jeep wrangler 4 door sport, black.
None of these are show cars or garage queens, they are daily drivers(and as such, they wont have a show car finish, but I would like them in good condition). I give all of them weekly washes, and monthly waxes / interior details.
Now getting to the question... What is a good wash mitt that won't mar the paint, and one that will last a decently long time. I currently have a microfiber chenille wash mitt that I got at target(before I discovered AGO) and the elastic in the handle is literally splitting and coming out. Is this a problem with all mitts? Or is it just target quality?

In summary, here are the questions:
-Sheepskin, Microfiber, Microfiber Chenille, Foam, Cotton, or Cotton Chenille wash mitt and why?
-Does quality differ between manufacturers, and by how much?
-Longevity? What fails first?
-Proper care? How easy/hard is it to clean?
-How paint safe is it? How much dirt can it handle?
-How much car wash solution does it carry onto the vehicle with it?

P.S. I use Megs GC car wash - if that makes any difference at all

Sorry if that's a 'tall order' :p

Shane731
07-06-2010, 02:11 AM
Go with Meguiars Microfiber Wash Mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-microfiber-wash-mitt.html). This is a very nice mitt that has held up very nicely in the time I've had it. It won't scratch the paint, and it's easy to see if you have dirt or debris on your mitt. Plus, if something happens to it, it's cheap enough where you can easily buy another one without fear of breaking the bank. :xyxthumbs:

You can see it in action in this video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVcVpS0-Eck]YouTube - Quik Tips Series - Washing 101[/video]

Matt
07-06-2010, 02:42 AM
I love my Meguiar's sheepskin wash mit. That's my favourite.

In a close second would be the Cobra dreadlock microfiber wash mit.

cobalt9123
07-06-2010, 08:19 AM
Go with Microfiber, foam, or sheepskin. Stay away from the cotton. I like sheepskin but it requires some maintenance and doesn't last near as long as microfiber. I like the GS-50 sheepskin from AGO, but you would be better suited with the Cobra Chinelle Microfiber Mitt or something like the Lake Country Blue Grout Sponge or Lake Country Ultimitt

Mindflux
07-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Love sheepskin mitts, hate how long they take to dry out. I ripped the cuff on one of mine a week ago putting my hand in it (and yanking the cuff up). Probably because the material sat so long drying up that it weakened the sewing of the cuff to the skin.

ScottB
07-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Microfiber and Chenille seem to last the longest, a good thick MF towel also works well, and Dodo's mitts are really cool but need upkeep.

muddy
07-06-2010, 08:59 AM
I used to use sheepskin until I switched to the yellow & white ShMITT. It's soft pad material and has a scrubber on the back. It also has a string to wrap around your wrist which to me has been pretty helpful to avoid dropping it. My 2 cents.

FinalTouchAuto
07-06-2010, 09:08 AM
I really liked my Ulti-mit and plan on getting another.

BobbyG
07-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Besides the products I bought through Autogeek the two biggest improvements I've made is changing over to using exclusively Microfiber products and the two bucket wash system. I have two Microfiber wash mitts and a good supply of Cobra Microfiber towels.

When washing my cars or truck I use Cobra's Guzzler Waffle Weave and these literally suck the water from the finish leaving it dry and more importantly scratch free!

Recipe for success should always include:

Two Buckets
Bucket guards
High quality car soap
Microfiber mitt
Microfiber drying towels

clordj12
07-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Ive been using the ULTI-MIT Wash Mitt by Lake Country. I absolutly love it, its easy to clean all the grit out between the little grids and holds a ton of soap and keeps my finish perfect. It seems like its made of the same foam pad material that the Red LC finishing pad is made of.

CEE DOG
07-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Click this link. Scroll down a bit and see a wonderfull comparison by MP of all the wash media available from AG.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23602-how-dirty-too-dirty-safely-use-rinseless-wash.html

Mike Phillips
07-06-2010, 11:37 AM
I would chime in just to say that anytime the questions of "best" comes up there's so much personal preference that comes into play that it really comes down to what each of us likes and in some cases the unique shape and size of our vehicles...

I can make a case for a loose fiber wash mitt or brush, by this I mean a type of wash mitt in which the fibers can flow into the gaps between places like the fenders and hood, between fenders and doors, around grills in front of the windshield and anywhere that dirt particles can come to rest that's not on a flat surface. The idea being for the fibers, be they a wash mitt or a brush, to be able to get into these areas and loosen any dirt so it can be rinsed off the car.

The reason for this is because my background is using predominantly a rotary buffer and one of the unique characteristics of a rotary buffer is that it rotates in a single direction and it can create an air-current that could potentially pull loose dirt particles out of cracks and crevices and into the buffing process where it could instill a circular scratch into the paint.

So on this forum, in any class I've ever taught and in the videos we make, I always stress... working clean... that includes the floor, the car, the shop, your tools, your pads, your applicators, your wiping microfiber towels, and washing and drying cars...

Also, everything Autogeek carries is high quality, so you can trust the Autogeek name for quality products and the best customer service in the industry...

So test out a variety of wash mitts, sponges and brushes and see which one you like best for your personal preferences and the unique shape and size of your vehicle...

:)

Dubbin1
07-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Also, everything Autogeek carries is high quality

Except for the sheepskin wash mitt. I have been through a couple of them now, they fall apart pretty quickly. Now that I gave up on those I'm now using a MF wash mitt from walmart (kinda like the Cobra Chenille that AG carries). Been pretty happy with it so far.

Christopher
07-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Click this link. Scroll down a bit and see a wonderfull comparison by MP of all the wash media available from AG.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23602-how-dirty-too-dirty-safely-use-rinseless-wash.html
I read through it already. I didn't find it very helpful, as it seems like all the mitts are on pretty even ground. I am more looking more for peoples personal experiences with a given mitt. Thanks anyway :xyxthumbs:

StoneRaizer
07-06-2010, 06:44 PM
I use the same Meguiars' wash mitt that was recommended in the first reply and with the Gold Class car wash the mitt glides over the paint. It's so slippery it feels like the paint is covered in a sheet of ice.

As for washing the mitt, I've put it through the washing machine with my other microfiber towels and haven't had any problems with it losing softness or cleaning ability.