PDA

View Full Version : What Products to you keep coming back to?

Pages : [1] 2

Light-Zone
11-08-2006, 08:54 PM
I'm really still very new at the detailing process. The first products I purchased were Menzerna IP, FPII, and Finishing Glaze. I bought a PC and a set of pads that were put together for use on German paints, to use on my SLK. I also have Klasse AIO and SG in my kit.

I've had very good suscess using this combination, but, as many of use are, we are alway looking for something better. So I went on to try other products, starting with Chemical Guys. I've also read many good things about Poor Boys and FK as well. So today I went out to my Dodge Ram which is black, and started to experiment with the Chemical Guys products, including one called Spider, which is suppose to remove minor scratches and micro-marring, and then deminish into a polish as well. After doing a side panel, using an orange pad, I pulled the truck out into the sun to check my work. WELL, I was surprised to see that I had actually done more harm than good.
I had removed quite a bit of the existing shine, and although I knew I could repair what I had done, I was still motivated to call up CG to get some advice (something I should have done BEFORE placing my order, or at the very least, before begining my work). They were very helpful and did say that the product they call Spider was too aggressive for my situation. They said a product called All-In-One that they offer would have been a better choice. Even using a less aggressive pad would have not made a difference they told me, because the product itsself was considered aggressive. I thanked him for his advice and set out to correct what I had done.

I reached for the Menzerna IP and the green pad. Afterwards, followed up with FPII, using a fresh green pad. Topped it off with Finishing Glaze using a black pad. Hopefully my latest order with the famed Souveran will arrive so that I can top off my work with what everyone says is simply the BEST wax for black vehicles, bar none.

So the reason for this post. I think I've seen the light. I've been doing photography for the past 30 years, and when I started out, a photographer I greatly admired said to me, pick a film, pick a developer, and pick a paper. Stick with that combination until you've mastered it. I'm going to implement that advice to my detailing. I'm going to stick with Menzerna, stick with the pad combination I have and stick with my waxes/sealents. I'm going to use these until I have it down pat. I think experimenting too soon with too many different products will lead only to confusion. We're all looking for a magic bullet, but I think the answer is not in the products but in the techniques we use. Back to photography for just a moment....just because you own a $4000 Leica or Nikon doesn't mean you're going to automatically make good pictures. Conversly, give a great photographer an Instamatic Camera and the chances are very good that something in the way of art will be made.

What are the products you all keep coming back to and why?

Thanks to all who took the timne to read this ramble...

ryandamartini
11-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Products I keep coming back to are the Pinacle XMT series. THey were formulated FOR the Porter Cable and results show. The compounds really cut nicely and leave an amazing finish. Without a doubt the results the XMT series provides along with a lack of dusting, they are my main polishes and I dont see them going anywhere soon.

As far as sealants go, duragloss and the DP surfaceshield. Both offer superb results and look.

Waxes: Souveran, Pinnacle Signature Series II on bright colors, and DP MaxWax for reflections :)

You have the right idea to go with souveran. You will not be dissapointed!

Sevenrd
11-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Good question. Here are the ones I will definitely re-order when I'm running low...

Optimum Polish - Seemingly indefinite working time. No dust!

Klasse AIO - A great all-around product I frequently reach for.

Duragloss AW - Tried this recently. I'm sold. Easy on, easy off. Great results.

FK 425 - Great for a QD after a wash, as a clay lube. Also great for my tv's and comp. screen. Anti-static properties.

Pinnacle Souveran paste - no comment needed. :)

303 protectant - Great plastic/vinyl protectant. Low gloss.

Meg's QID - Excellent for a quick interior touch-up. No gloss. Clean scent.

Clearkote CMW - When I feel like using a liquid carnauba, I grab this stuff. Easy on, easy off. Great results.

ScottB
11-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Wash --- Poorboys Suds
Paint Cleaner --- AIO, Pinnacle Lotion, P21S GEPPC
Polish --- Merzerna Ceramiclear Line (085.066), Clearkote VMG and RMG
Wax --- Souveran Paste
Sealant --- UPP
qder --- Quikshine, Crystal Mist
tire shine --- Poorboys Bright/Bold

Neothin
11-09-2006, 12:32 AM
products i keep comming back to-

eurow brand wash mitts. I've seriously tried 10's of other brands from numerous other vendors, and walmart still beats them all :)

DP foam soap. I love the stuff. I havent even used my beloved PB's SS+S in 2 months.

AIO. just so many uses. Hell, i've even started using it in applications besides detailing. My roomates are pretty messy cooks that dont know how to clean anything. squirt a little aio on the stove, and in a minute your stove is clean. best part is that the aio makes it easier to clean next time!

clearkotes RMG/xmt CFG. I *love* glazes and these two are great. I especially like cfg's scent!

the only polish i continue to come back to is my bottle of po85rd. my other polishes come and go. xmt is good. menzerna is good. and pb's is good.

PB's natty's blue. my tub has about 2 more wax jobs left in it. I'm sad :(

FK425 for the QDing of a clean car. Killr gave me a bottle months ago and i used it the first time at hot im port nights orlando in july. Ever since then i've been hooked on the stuff. the gloss it gives is just amazing. PB's spray and wipe for times when i need something a little stronger.

meguiar's endurance matte finish for hte tires. it gives me the durability i need.

bold n bright. wheel wells, engine bay, trim, etc

dp interior surface protectant. nice smell, low gloss

DP glass restorer. i've eliminated some BAD waterspotting with this stuff that AIO wouldnt even touch.

meguiar's all purpose cleaner. so many dilutions, so many uses!

fdizzle
11-09-2006, 12:55 AM
Is it wrong to be in love with a protectant?

Becasue Im cheating on my lady with 303 protectant . . .

Lake country pads . . . Die hard fan . . .

I would like to use cobra microfiber products as household linnens . . . but I am poor and American Express currently owns the majority of my detailing equiptment (ever had a buffer repossessed? Ill let you all know when it happens)

my .02 . . .

supercharged
11-09-2006, 04:50 AM
Wash - Poorboy's suds
Polish - XMT/SSR
Wax - Souveran paste
Sealant - Menzerna FMJ
QD - FK425
Tire dressing - Pinnacle Black Onyx

I also often use AIO.

XterraOverload
11-09-2006, 08:06 AM
Good Topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:righton:

supercharged
11-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Sure is!

Waxmax
11-09-2006, 10:50 AM
Wash- ONRW
Paint Cleaner- AIO
Swirl Remover- OC
Polishes- OP, Menzerna 106, Menzerna 85
Glazes- CG Creme Glaze for sealants, XMT Glaze for carnauba
Carnauba- Maxwax, Souveran or CG 5050
Sealant- AJT or DG line
WW- PB SnW or CG Speed Wipe
QD- DG C&S, CG Extreme Slick
Booster- AW

wytstang
11-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Aio
Vm
#16 ;)

thesacrifice
11-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Optimum No Rinse and Duragloss Aquawax are my fav products

Bulla2000
11-19-2006, 08:18 AM
P21S for a deep glossy shine,.
MG cleaner wax for polishing
MG glass cleaner for glasses

Jonboy
11-19-2006, 09:13 AM
wash: Pinnacle shampoo
Polish: XMT / Pinnacle cleansing lotion
Wax: Souveran / Sig / Paste glaz
Tyres: PB BnB / Black Oynx
QD: Crystal mist / Quick Shine
Sealant: WG deep gloss
MF's: Cobra

P1et
11-19-2006, 09:58 AM
Tons of Menzerna mentions here and I want to try it, but couldn't find it on AG. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

PS: great thread!