PDA

View Full Version : Tire Dressing Comparison

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Whitethunder46
11-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Well I can't decide what's the best tire dressing to go with for a detailing business. Would need to be affordable in bulk, and I want something that will last.

With that said, I just applied Megs Insane shine on my passanger side tires, and AA Tire Foam on my driver side. I've used an older version of AA tire foam in the past with nice results, and currently use AA Extreme Tire Gel with excellent results. I've heard good things of Megs insane shine, but it's fairly expensive, and the AA foam was just about $3.00 a can while insane was $6.67.

Added note, even though AA foam and Megs insane shine are in the exact same sized aersol can, AA foam contains 20 oz's of product, while Megs insane shine only contained 15 oz. Weird.

abrcrombe
11-08-2006, 06:22 PM
If the AA is working for you, I would go with that. Justin uses it and we all know he is an awesome detailer. Definitely don't go for the Meg's unless you see the difference to pay double for it. PLUS, it only lasts a few days. Meg's insane shine is REALLY shiny for the first day, but I don't like it because it is gone in like 2-3 days.

ScottB
11-08-2006, 06:25 PM
http://www.autogeek.net/meguiar-s-silicone-free-dressing.html

http://www.autogeek.net/fobltigel128.html

XterraOverload
11-08-2006, 06:29 PM
I didn't like Megs at all I went back to the old AA foam.......Much better use it on wheels and wheel wells and engine..........Looks great!

Whitethunder46
11-08-2006, 06:33 PM
I'm trying AA Foam since it's about half the cost of the AA gel and it's very quick to apply.

Forever black is out of the question.

I really want to try the hyper dressing and silicone free dressings from Megs, however, I don't want to pay for a gallon and then not like it at all.

Surfer
11-08-2006, 08:10 PM
I have Meg's Insane Shine, and hate it. After a coating it just doesn't have that deep, black shine to it that a good gel or waterbased dressing has. More so it looks almost like an epoxy coating on the tire lol, didn't looks good on my suv's a/t tire sidewalls. Plus I hated the aersol spray, seemed to go everywhere from the wind including the tire. And it didn't dry hard, causing it to stay kinda gummy and attract dirt like a mofo.

I have AA Extreme Tire Gel as well and love it, decent durablity even in rain and nice looks. I also like Poorboys Bold and Bright, another excellent waterbased dressing. There's a lot of choices.

Whitethunder46
11-08-2006, 08:47 PM
I have Meg's Insane Shine, and hate it. After a coating it just doesn't have that deep, black shine to it that a good gel or waterbased dressing has. More so it looks almost like an epoxy coating on the tire lol, didn't looks good on my suv's a/t tire sidewalls. Plus I hated the aersol spray, seemed to go everywhere from the wind including the tire. And it didn't dry hard, causing it to stay kinda gummy and attract dirt like a mofo.

I have AA Extreme Tire Gel as well and love it, decent durablity even in rain and nice looks. I also like Poorboys Bold and Bright, another excellent waterbased dressing. There's a lot of choices.

Seems like AA Gel is a good choice after all. I like it because it seems like the bottle lasts forever. Something I need for multiple cars a week and it's at a decent price

supercharged
11-09-2006, 07:03 AM
Hyper dressing, Armor All gel for bulk detailing.
Pinnacle Black Onyx for my own car.

Whitethunder46
11-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Well it's been 5 days and have had rain/mist for the last 2 days. Driven in the rain about an hour total in those 2 days.

I immediately noticed that Megs Insane shine is more of a topping and is literally layered on the tire for a nice shine. AA Foam really dug into the rubber and absorbed it.

5 days later the shine is relatively similiar. However the durabilty of the foam looks very good where as with Megs insane shine, I can rub my finger across the tire and spread the dressing around. The tire didnt absorb it near as well as the foam.

Round 1: Winner AA Tire Foam by landslide when figuring price durability, and product amount.

Going to compare AA Gel next which I've used for months. Any other dressings that people are curious with?

alban61
11-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the review!!:cheers:

justin_murphy
11-12-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm glad you all like the AA tire products. I use both the foam and gel. I use the foam in the wells and on the tires initial cleaning. Yes cleaning. The foam goes deep into the rubber and pulls out lodged in dirt and grime. I then come back a wipe it down with a MF mitt. I do alot of SUV's and the gel is just too time consuming for me. Now on cars, I will use the gel. I've started using the gel on my routine customers that I've used the foam on previously. Talk about durability! The gel seems to adhere better to the ones that had the foam. This is probably due to the tire being so much cleaner. It's all in the prep baby!

Surfer
11-12-2006, 06:01 PM
5 days later the shine is relatively similiar. However the durabilty of the foam looks very good where as with Megs insane shine, I can rub my finger across the tire and spread the dressing around. The tire didnt absorb it near as well as the foam.EXACTLY! Insane Shine is not a good product, wipe your tire a week later and it's like a gooey slime that stays on the durface. Being that I live basically across the beach, my tires would pick up sand etc and it would like glue to the tire b/c of Insane Shine. Armor All Extreme Gel dries dry and just needs a quick wipe down, I'm impressed by it.

Haven't tied the Foam version, how long does it last compared to the Gel? Both in terms of durability and usage (how long does a can last)?

Whitethunder46
11-12-2006, 06:18 PM
I havent directly compared the foam to the gel yet, that's my next experiment.

I used to use AA Foam with the gold cap for a long time last summer. I loved it and would last through a couple rain storms. (I'm using AA foam with a black cap right now)

This year I've used AA Gel and if applied to thick it will splatter a lot into the wheel well, but overall it will last a long time through many rainstorms.

Also the AA foam can has 20 oz. of product, which compared to Megs shine, AA foam has 5 more oz.

I've found a seller on ebay who is selling a bulk box of 12 cans of AA Tire Foam for under $20 shipped. I'm about to jump on that.

emaxxman
11-13-2006, 12:03 AM
I'm trying AA Foam since it's about half the cost of the AA gel and it's very quick to apply.

Forever black is out of the question.

I really want to try the hyper dressing and silicone free dressings from Megs, however, I don't want to pay for a gallon and then not like it at all.

Forget about Hyper Dressing. I have it and it didn't last thru one rainfall. To be fair, it's great for engine dressing and is nice that it's dilutable. I may try it in the wheel wells. However, its good looks doesn't last for squat.

I think I'll be giving the Armor All tire products a shot again. I used them years back when they weren't water-based. I liked them then but started to try out other brands.

While I like alot of Meg's products (NXT wax, glass cleaner, vinyl protectant), I really don't like their tire products. I've used the Hotshine products and will say that they don't last and are not shiny at all. I recently detailed my van and did a full cleaning on the tires. I used Eagle One tire cleaner to get clean tire. I then followed with two coats of the liquid spray Hotshine. It was a matte finish after 2 days...with no rain!!! I never tried the NXT tire spray but for the cost of it, I'll pass given the results I got from the Hot Shine.

If you really want to use a bulk Meg's product, try the All-Season Dressing. It's made for exterior use.

tonyspop
11-13-2006, 12:34 AM
Where did you pick up the gold cap for 3.00 a can??How much were you paying for the gel and from where did you purchase?