PDA

View Full Version : Overheated BP with PCXP

Pages : [1] 2

quiksilver39
07-04-2010, 03:01 AM
I was about 80% finish with my first coat on an Accord when the compound was forming a paste when applied to the car. I noticed that my pad (5.5" Flat Pad) and BP (5" LC) was extremely hot. I'm not too sure if it's because I use too much product... but after every panel, I would clean my pad on the fly...

Does anyone else have this problem? How do you control the heat of the backing plate and pad? Should I use another set so that the first set could cool off? Any advise would be great!

Mahalo

Flash Gordon
07-04-2010, 09:02 AM
I was about 80% finish with my first coat on an Accord when the compound was forming a paste when applied to the car. I noticed that my pad (5.5" Flat Pad) and BP (5" LC) was extremely hot. I'm not too sure if it's because I use too much product... but after every panel, I would clean my pad on the fly...

Does anyone else have this problem? How do you control the heat of the backing plate and pad? Should I use another set so that the first set could cool off? Any advise would be great!

Mahalo

I am seeing this problem more and more. Are you using the KBM alot :buffing:

ScottB
07-04-2010, 09:38 AM

Mahalo

Did you install the washer when you first got the machine, it is sometimes linked to overheating ?? Also is screw tight to make sure backing plate has no play ??

It does seem like more and more buffer failures, pad failures, and overheating are being noticed as of late. The correlation to KBM is certainly one to note and appears justified.

Dubbin1
07-04-2010, 09:53 AM
I was about 80% finish with my first coat on an Accord when the compound was forming a paste when applied to the car.

Are you trying to do the whole car with one pad?

quiksilver39
07-04-2010, 10:46 AM

After reading, yes. :xyxthumbs:

I had no problem with the 6.5" CCS Pads (due to it being thicker than the 5.5") but after a while when the pad was saturated with product, it didn't have enough power to spin. After reading some posts, others recommended the 5.5"...

[QUOTE=killrwheels@autogeek;331332]Did you install the washer when you first got the machine, it is sometimes linked to overheating ?? Also is screw tight to make sure backing plate has no play ??

Yes, the washer is installed however it is on tight. Should I loosen the pressure?

quiksilver39
07-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Are you trying to do the whole car with one pad?

I used a 5.5" Orange Flat Pad and 4" Orange Spot Buff for compounding, but only the 5.5" Flat Pad overheated on me... granted the Spot Buffs are thick like the 6.5" pads, so that could be a reason why...???

Planning on using the same sizes for RED... WHITE... and BLUE;) (proud to be an American... sorry, hahaha...) for Polish, Wax and Sealant.

Would you recommend using more than one pad?

quiksilver39
07-04-2010, 11:12 AM
[QUOTE=quiksilver39;331349]After reading, yes. :xyxthumbs:

Sorry, while using a fresh clean pad, I would apply an "X" pattern. There after, I would apply 2-4 nickle sizes for each panel.

Jenn1270
07-04-2010, 12:09 PM
It does seem like more and more buffer failures, pad failures, and overheating are being noticed as of late. The correlation to KBM is certainly one to note and appears justified.

How exactly does the KBM differ from what Mike teaches and why would it cause backing pads to melt?

Jenn

Flash Gordon
07-04-2010, 12:35 PM
How exactly does the KBM differ from what Mike teaches and why would it cause backing pads to melt?

Jenn

I'm not killrwheels, but my therory is the constant pressure being applied causes the unit to heat up more then it was intended for :hungry:

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-04-2010, 02:07 PM
It is from the excessive pressure being applied to the tool when used which is causing the heat. Just like I said when this so called method first appeared it was going to cause this problem, but some wanted to argue and look what happened.Im the MAN

People are pushing the da's behind what it was designed to do and blaming the tool. The da is just a polisher, very little pressure if any should be applied to the tool otherwise these problems are/will going to occur. I am not saying the da's can not do decent work, but it takes the correct pad and polish combo, but in the end people are pushing the da's past what they are really designed to do. So in the end you are going to have all these problems that basically were caused by the user of the tool, not the tool itself.

quiksilver39
07-04-2010, 02:23 PM
I didn't think I was adding pressure but then again, it happened to me on the vertical panels so I'm probably applying too much pressure while holding the tool to paint.

Mahalo for all of your feed back!

Flash Gordon
07-04-2010, 02:23 PM
It is from the excessive pressure being applied to the tool when used which is causing the heat. Just like I said when this so called method first appeared it was going to cause this problem, but some wanted to argue and look what happened.Im the MAN

People are pushing the da's behind what it was designed to do and blaming the tool. The da is just a polisher, very little pressure if any should be applied to the tool otherwise these problems are/will going to occur. I am not saying the da's can not do decent work, but it takes the correct pad and polish combo, but in the end people are pushing the da's past what they are really designed to do. So in the end you are going to have all these problems that basically were caused by the user of the tool, not the tool itself.

Nice, so now your calling me a tool...Tell me something I don't already know :laughing:

FWIW get a Griots DA. They have the lifetime warranty you know :applause:

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Nice, so now your calling me a tool...Tell me something I don't already know :laughing:

FWIW get a Griots DA. They have the lifetime warranty you know :applause:

And your point-lol. How"s it going Sausage. Still waiting on you to help me finish staining my fence.

Flash Gordon
07-04-2010, 02:41 PM
And your point-lol. How"s it going Sausage. Still waiting on you to help me finish staining my fence.

Everything is just lovely here :props:

As for that fence staining...I thought we agreed you would send me that new Fien rotary to play with for a couple of weeks and in turn I would drive up and give you a helping hand with your fence :cheers:

I must warn however, I start my days at 04:30 SHARP. NO EXCEPTIONS :rulez:

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Everything is just lovely here :props:

As for that fence staining...I thought we agreed you would send me that new Fien rotary to play with for a couple of weeks and in turn I would drive up and give you a helping hand with your fence :cheers:

I must warn however, I start my days at 04:30 SHARP. NO EXCEPTIONS :rulez:

Since you start that early I will just stay up. The funny thing is you said you were going to help before you even knew I had the Fein. The stain and brushes are still waiting on you and the fine from the HOA-lol.