PDA

View Full Version : 100% newb looking to place 1st order (advice)

sevenstarsfall
07-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Hi all, just introduced myself in the intro section. Ive got a 2000 artic white trans am with ebony (black) leather interior id like to start detailing.

As far as products I have the following: megs gold class shampoo and conditioner, megs leather cleaner, megs leather conditioner, mothers and megs instant detailer, 303 protectant, megs clay, eagle one tire shine, stoners invisible glass, rain-x and some folex.

Id like to focus on getting the exterior products right now, with that said ive got light swirls and some overspray id like to clean up, id also like a product to clean and shine my inner fenderwells and cowl and last but not least something for my wheels and tires.

Ive already been looking into getting a griots DA but am confused as to what products to purchase along with it to get the best results for my vehicle, plz help as I know nothing, thx.

Heres a picture of the car ill be working on:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a176/mac0021/DSC02695.jpg

ziggo99
07-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Grab the Griot's. I own one, love it. It polishes anything quickly and easily. For fender wells and tires, get a gallon of Meguiar's All Season Dressing or Optimum Tire Bond. The Optimum can be diluted 1:1 and sprayed on while giving you lasting results. I own the ASD and I like it. while it's on sale right now.

For the light swirls you say you have, get a gallon of Meguiar's Paint Reconditioning Cream or Pinnacle XMT 360. Both are great AIO waxes.

Pads...hmm. SurBuff pads are getting rave reviews for fast cut and leaving a good shine behind. Lake Country Hydro pads have amazing cut and finish down even better, plus there are only 3 pads to pick from, making selection easy, but there have been reports that they don't last long. The flat and CCS Lake Country pads in Orange, White and Black are the most popular pads and work extremely well. Someone else can chime in with more pad info.

rwright
07-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Nice car! I had a '98 and had a lot of fun with it! I don't think you will need Surbuf pads for light swirls and stuff, they are pretty aggressive. I personally think you will be fine with Lake Country Hydro-Tech pads. As mentioned life for them is not that great, but the cut and finish are outstanding. Load up on them if you can afford it, 6 Cyan and 6 Tangerine. It's always nice to have extra. You will want to use Meguiar's M105 and M205, or Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze. Buy some 91% isopropyl alcohol from Walmart or wherever you shop to wipe down between compounding and polishing.

Since your car is white, I would also use Duragloss #501 as a paint cleaner after M205. Not to take away from any last step products, but a great combination for white is: 1 part DG 601 mixed with 4 parts DG 501, then 1 part DG 601 mixed with 4 parts DG 105. Then do a final wipedown with Duragloss Aqua Wax. You can thank our friend Richy for this information. I just used this combo on a white 2009 Mercedes Benz and the owner said "Wow, you actually made white pop!".

Also, if this is your first time using a DA make sure you visit here (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/) to watch the video tutorials. There are tutorials for claying, using a DA, and much, much more.

sevenstarsfall
07-04-2010, 04:04 AM
Thanks for the reply guys, so after reading a little more this is what im leaning towards for my first order:

WG Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, WG Finishing Glaze, WG Total Swirl Remover, WG Paintwork Polish Enhancer, Optimum No Rinse, Megs Gold Class Wash, Megs All Season Dressing, Amazing Roll Off and a sample of PB Trim Restorer.

Ill probably buy the pads and DA a little later on in the year, what do you think?

BobbyG
07-04-2010, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the reply guys, so after reading a little more this is what im leaning towards for my first order:

WG Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, WG Finishing Glaze, WG Total Swirl Remover, WG Paintwork Polish Enhancer, Optimum No Rinse, Megs Gold Class Wash, Megs All Season Dressing, Amazing Roll Off and a sample of PB Trim Restorer.

Ill probably buy the pads and DA a little later on in the year, what do you think?

Welcome Aboard!

Wolfgang makes some great products and I can personally recommend their Total Swirl Remover and Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0. I've also had great luck with Meguiar's Gold Class Wash and really like Poorboys World Trim Restorer.

I'd also recommend these Menzerna products:

Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83Q
Menzerna Super Finish PO106FA
Menzerna Micro Polish PO85RD

You didn't mention a LSP and I can recommend Collinite 845, Optimum Car Wax, and Pinnacle Liquid Souveran Wax.

For machines, these are what I use: Makita 9227, Flex 3401, and Porter Cable 7424

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Z06%20Corvette/Buffers.jpg

Good LucK

mchess1
07-04-2010, 08:23 AM

The WG product line is a great lineup for everyone, but it really makes the transition for beginners with a DA easy. As Mike P says and demonstrates, it really is bubba-proof.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/20751-1957-chevrolet-belair-extreme-makeover-flex-3401-wolfgang-smackdown.html

As Bobby G mentioned, you may want a wax on top of the sealant for a little more pop. Liquid Souveran looks great on white, I use it on my wife's white Honda Odyssey over the WG Sealant.

Bobby also mentioned the Menz lineup, just to note that menz makes some great products including providing the product to Wolgang. Some folks on the forum have postulated that it is the same product in a different bottle. Not sure I am there, but I do think both lineups do a great job so I stick with WG.

sevenstarsfall
07-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Forgot all about it but I was actually planning to grab either the Collinite 845 or Pinnacle Liquid Souveran, thanks for the reminder.

I may just grab the griots DA too but not sure just yet, if I do decide to get it ill get pads too.....im assuming orange and black should do the trick? Also what sizes would work best for my car? Ive got a lot of curves and not too many big flat body panels, any tips for my car, im thinking doing the hood and front bumper may be a pain?

Thx for the quick responses everyone :dblthumb2:

sal329
07-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Getthe Griots DA assortment of LC pads 5.5" pads, orange, white, black, Meg 105 (tnere is a learning curve) and M205 or Menz SIP, Power Finish and 85rd, Duragloss 501 to clean after polishing then a good LSP duragloss 111, Blackfire Wet Diamond, Collinite 845....