PDA

View Full Version : Why not 3M's stuff?

baroda5
11-08-2006, 12:30 PM
We recently buffed out my black:( '04 Avalon that had been horribly treated by the previous owner. Swirl marks, scratches, oxidation, you name it, it had it. We ended up using a 3M Perfect-it foam waffle pad with 3M's Perfect-It Swirl remover #6064 on a circular buffer, operating at 2500rpm. Then I waxed it by hand with Meguire's NXT generation wax. To my amatuer eye it came out great. What disadvanteges does this system have over Pinnacle or the others sold at AutoGeek? Should I do anything more?

Grimm
11-08-2006, 01:04 PM
I think quite a few people use 3M's stuff, so I doubt it's inferior to other products more frequently mentioned here. If you think it came out good, then obviously it worked well.

DrMike
11-08-2006, 03:09 PM
I used 3M Perfect It II to get scratches that Pinnacle XMT 3 didn't even touch. Seems to be good stuff and 3M's been around for a while.

baroda5
11-08-2006, 04:08 PM
It's sunny out today, if I can get home before it gets too dark to wash it, I'll have a better idea. THanks for the feedback.

justin_murphy
11-08-2006, 05:01 PM
I'm glad to see another product working well. 3M has been in body shops for about as long as Meguiar's. I know of alot of shops here that use 3M only. I bet AG takes a look at this too. Good comments and in good taste as well.

ScottB
11-08-2006, 05:16 PM
I have found that the 3M line is not as friendly (user friendly) to the novice. So after finding many others that I like, I choose to stick with them. It is obviously personal taste, and no right or wrong.

Whitethunder46
11-08-2006, 05:41 PM
After being on this site for maybe 2 weeks and doing a ton of research, just about any product you choose here at AG, is going to result in pure quality. Now, I'm just speaking from what I've read and observed, but this is what it sounds like to me. Thus, a lot less stressful to pick out the best polishes or waxes or sealants or whatever may have you.

Saleen281
11-09-2006, 02:54 PM
You aren't going to beat 3M products, period.

As someone else said though- they are made for professionals, and each product is very targeted to what job needs to be done.

I use them in my shop almost exclusively, but since I bought a PC, I decided to try some Pinnacle stuff to see how it compared.

Another product that is as good as 3M, at least professionally, is Presta products.

Pinnacle seems to be very good so far, FWIW.

SVTContour
11-09-2006, 07:33 PM
You aren't going to beat 3M products, period.

As someone else said though- they are made for professionals, and each product is very targeted to what job needs to be done.

I use them in my shop almost exclusively, but since I bought a PC, I decided to try some Pinnacle stuff to see how it compared.

Another product that is as good as 3M, at least professionally, is Presta products.

Pinnacle seems to be very good so far, FWIW.

Thanks for the insight on the 3M products. Maybe you could do a review/comparison of them with the XMT products?

Totoland Mach
11-10-2006, 06:53 AM
The BMW shop that I work weekends at has all 3M products. You're right about a learning curve using them. You're also right about their emphasis on pro users (body shops, pro detail shops, etc).

In my opinion, they are the "grunt" products and I use them every weekend. But, I think the boutique waxes provide a nicer overall shine after you work the basics with 3M.

Toto

Saleen281
11-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the insight on the 3M products. Maybe you could do a review/comparison of them with the XMT products?

Sure, that could be fun.

I can tell you right off the bat that the Pinnacle products have more of an "oil" or "carrying liquid" than the 3M products when buffing.

In other words, the 3M products work into the surface very quick, and rapidly break down leaving the finished surface behind. Pinnacle on the other hand, breaks down slowly, and takes more "work" to finish out an area. I prefer 3M speed myself, because it lets me move up or down the ladder to get a defect out quickly, instead of heating up the surface unnecessarily.

Keep in mind, this is with a rotary buffer, but I also put some 3M finishing glaze on my PC pad, and noticed pretty much the same thing.

Whitethunder46
11-10-2006, 02:18 PM
3m would still take awhile to break down when using a PC, correct? So XMT and 3m would be similar when both used on the PC?

Saleen281
11-10-2006, 02:27 PM
3m would still take awhile to break down when using a PC, correct? So XMT and 3m would be similar when both used on the PC?

No, the 3M stuff broke down quicker even using the PC.