PDA

View Full Version : solvents in waxes

tuscarora dave
07-03-2010, 10:24 AM
I have not done any research into the solvent levels in different waxes. I have a few different waxes, some soft, some hard and some liquid.

Generally speaking, I like to apply a sealant as a base protection but notice that bugs and water spots are more difficult to remove from a sealant than from a wax so I will either apply a wax on the areas most affected by bug splatter such as the front of the car and the side mirrors or I will just apply a wax over the entire coating of fully cured paint sealant.

I like to apply a wax by using a 4" finishing pad on my G110V2 (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-dual-action-polisher-g110.html) on the slowest speed setting. This allows for the coat of wax to be applied very thin and therefore it is easier to remove the remaining residue. While applying the wax one day I got to wondering if the solvents in certain waxes would remove the fully cured paint sealant. Common sense tells me that if Dawn dish washing liquid will remove paint sealant (which I am not fully convinced that it will) then a wax that smells like it should strip paint such as Collinite's # 845 Insulator Wax must smell that way because of high levels of solvents and it surely would remove the fully cured paint sealant if over aggressively applied.

Ok I'll go back to my own wax collection for a minute and ask this question. Just because a particular wax is harder than another wax, does it necessarily mean that the harder wax contains less solvents than the softer wax? On the flip side of that question, just because a wax is soft like warm butter does it necessarily mean that it contains a high level of solvents?

When I use a wax, I do so for the appearance and ease of washing more so than for the protection of it so It doesn't matter to me how long a wax lasts on my own car so the durability or longevity of a wax is not in question as far as this thread is concerned. I just want to hear what you AGO members think or know about the solvent levels in different waxes. So the end question is, will a softer wax contain more solvents and will it remove a fully cured application of paint sealant if applied by machine. I intend on doing a quick pass with Pro Polish and applying a thorough coat of EX-P while at the Poorboy's (http://www.poorboysworld.com) Detail Weekend. A few days after that I will begin testing with hard and soft waxes being applied by machine.

If you folks have any thoughts or knowlege on this topic, please post them.
Thanks, TD

Bunky
07-03-2010, 02:24 PM
I wonder if you could do a test to demonstrate it. You would put something down, then apply the sealant, then apply the wax to see if it disturbs the first layer.

A4 1.8tqm
07-03-2010, 03:13 PM
That's a tough one, It'll be hard to tell whether or not it's the wax or sealant that remains. I wonder if the solvents are even really a concern, maybe while the wax is being made the solvents have already done all the dissolving they can. I don't know...

Either way it is very interesting to me and I look forward to any results and maybe going off those for some experiments of my own.

akimel
07-03-2010, 03:22 PM
I wonder if you could do a test to demonstrate it. You would put something down, then apply the sealant, then apply the wax to see if it disturbs the first layer.

But, Al, how would one know if the application of the wax has disturbed the previously applied layer of sealant? How do we laymen test these interesting questions?

ScottB
07-03-2010, 03:50 PM
you could not use or spread 'nubas without ingredients that make it usable and spreadable and obviously some solvents are likely part of that design. I dont have definite proof that more solvents make a softer wax though ....

All I can suggest is that when using a sealant/wax combo I see longer durability then when using a wax alone. So while those solvents and other ingredients might reduce some of the durability of sealant, it certainly seems to work together to a degree.

I do also generally feel a wax does seem to protect against birdie doo-doo and other contaminents better than a sealant when freshly applied. Some sealants seem to scar easily if not wiped/removed rather quickly, but waxes "seem" to offer a little better protection. (perhaps the oils keep it above surface)

Bunky
07-03-2010, 04:49 PM
But, Al, how would one know if the application of the wax has disturbed the previously applied layer of sealant? How do we laymen test these interesting questions?

I do not know.

I wonder if it would be possible to get the sealant layer dyed (like use some food coloring but not uniformly colored - intentionally streaky). Let it cure and then apply then apply the wax. My guess if you see a change in the streaks as you apply the wax, it is affecting the sealant.