View Full Version : Wax help?

Mike55
07-03-2010, 08:07 AM
Ok I got most everything i need for my car but the wax

I have the Meguiars dual action polisher
I have the Meguiars 105 ultra-cut compound
The Meguiars 205 ultra-finishing compound
The Meguiars #21 synthetic sealant 2.0

What wax goes good with this and that is for the dual action polisher.

loudog2
07-03-2010, 09:23 AM
You can use any wax(except a cleaner wax) with the sealant and with a DA.

ScottB
07-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Pinnacle SSII, Fuzion, Dodo, Poorboys and more all offer great pure carnaubas to top and can be applied by hand or buffer.

eversio
07-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Excuse the newbie question, but what is the purpose of applying a wax on top of a sealant? My understanding was that a sealant is a synthetic alternative to a wax for protection. Would the wax be for more aesthetic purposes than protective purposes?

Dubbin1
07-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Excuse the newbie question, but what is the purpose of applying a wax on top of a sealant? My understanding was that a sealant is a synthetic alternative to a wax for protection. Would the wax be for more aesthetic purposes than protective purposes?

Pure looks

Pristine Image
07-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Pure looks

Just as Dubbin stated, it's strictly for aesthetic reasons as it can give the car a wetter, glossier appearance.

I really like to use Natty's Red Paste Wax as it's not very expensive, smells great, and is very easy to apply and remove. I also use Meguiar's #16 wax but it's a bit tougher to apply. If you put it on too thick it is very difficult to remove!! I am very pleased with the results from both of these waxes.

eversio
07-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Just as Dubbin stated, it's strictly for aesthetic reasons as it can give the car a wetter, glossier appearance.

I really like to use Natty's Red Paste Wax as it's not very expensive, smells great, and is very easy to apply and remove. I also use Meguiar's #16 wax but it's a bit tougher to apply. If you put it on too thick it is very difficult to remove!! I am very pleased with the results from both of these waxes.
Thank you both for the clarification.

FinalTouchAuto
07-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Ok I got most everything i need for my car but the wax

I have the Meguiars dual action polisher
I have the Meguiars 105 ultra-cut compound
The Meguiars 205 ultra-finishing compound
The Meguiars #21 synthetic sealant 2.0

A good OTC wax that you can pick up is Megs #26

If you have time to wait you can pick up something from Autogeek that you cannot find locally.

Bunky
07-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Pure looks

Also, because you can. For some. detailing is a hobby and experimentation can be fun.

A4 1.8tqm
07-06-2010, 03:14 PM

If your not set on sticking with Meg's, but looking to buy locally, try Autoglym Hd, looks great, beads/sheets excellently and is quite durable. Although I prefer to apply this wax by hand. :xyxthumbs:

Thank you both for the clarification.

I disagree that applying a carnauba wax on top of a sealant is purely aesthetic or "just for looks". IMO wax does have a preferable look, but the protection it provides is not to be disregarded. Some say that wax may give better protection against things like bug guts and bird droppings, but I've never tested it. Wax gives a "sacrificial barrier", maybe it won't last as long as sealant, but the combo is the ultimate in protection. My $0.02

StoneRaizer
07-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Megs #26 is also on sale at Autogeek right now.

Meguiars #26 Hi-Tech Paste Wax is carnauba paste car wax with polymer additives for maximum longevity. Meguiars #26 High Tech Paste Car Wax is great (http://www.autogeek.net/meg26hitpasw.html) - Paste
Meguiars #26 Hi-Tech Liquid Wax is a polymer liquid car wax that offers excellent paint protection and shine! Meguiars #26 High Tech Liquid Wax is (http://www.autogeek.net/meg26hityelw.html) - Liquid

The paste is showing that it's on back order so if you don't want the liquid I'd ask Meghan when they're expecting their next shipment.

Another possible option is Megs' Gold Class Carnauba Plus wax. Apparently this is a new-for-2010 formulation of their older Gold Class Carnauba. Details here on what's so new about it - Gold Class Carnauba Plus Wax - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38027)

Unfortunately this new Gold Class isn't available in Canada yet so I haven't been able to try it out. :(

Now, a word of caution - just in case you were considering Megs NXT Tech Wax 2.0, please keep in mind that NOT a carnauba wax, it's a sealant that can be purchased at just about every auto parts and department store in Canada and the USA. I believe they put the term 'wax' on the package instead of 'sealant' so that they wouldn't confuse Joe Consumer looking for a product to protect his car. NXT 2.0 is a great product, but for your particular application it's not what you're looking for.