PDA

View Full Version : Problem working with Meguiar's M105 Ultra Compound?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

nabisco shine
07-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Problem working with Meguiar's M105 Ultra Compound? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/26824-problem-working-meguiar-s-m105-ultra-compound.html)

everytime i use this it dries on my fist pass, i use w7000 pad on a pc set to 5 doing a 2x2 area anyone gets this? also its hard to wipe off

loudog2
07-02-2010, 04:43 PM
105 is kown to dry fast. It takes some getting used to. If you want longer working products try menzerna SIP or power finish. Do you need a compound?

nabisco shine
07-02-2010, 04:51 PM
i need a compund for another car that im working on, i did a car yesturday man m105 was pissing me off drying way to fast on top of that its so hard to wipe off i would have to use quick detailer to get it out

CEE DOG
07-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Keep a few spray bottles handy:

1 with water
1 with ONR
1 with IPA/water

If you need to you can try one spritz of water after a couple passes and continue buffing. Also try buffing through it without water. Play around a bit and you'll get a good system.

The ONR will get the polish residue off if you left it on a bit too long before wiping.

The IPA/water should be used to check to make sure you've got the paint right. It will remove the polish and any left over oils.

AeroCleanse
07-02-2010, 05:28 PM
While M105 is great, I gave up on it because I found it too hard to work with. Mine was the original formula.

Da Fats
07-02-2010, 06:25 PM
With the rotary ( I am learning and man did i mess up my truck today hehe) I found I only got 2 - 3 passes out of 105 with wool and on the 3rd i ran into drying issues... compared to 205 were i could work it ~8 passes if i needed to. I have TONS of halograms to correct tomarrow morning... and I am probably going to have to do a drive 'O shame 40 minutes with the side of it looking like crap to my fathers garage so i can fix it...

I still cant deny that it cuts the paint fast... and i ordered more for that reason... but I also ordered some OPT spray compound and polis to try out on the other side... Along with OPT final polish to finish it all out... I think I willl like the longer working times while i am learning

BobbyG
07-02-2010, 07:00 PM
I use Meguiar's M105 with my Makita 9227. I prime the pad with a little detail spray then add the product. If I see that it's starting to get dry I give it a couple of squirts of water to keep it workable. I've always wondered why an oil or other lubricant can't be added to keep the compound workable.

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Everyone is missing the point, it cuts in that short of time that other polishes take longer to do. That is how the polish works, plain and simple. Either you have to change your technique or use another type of polish that has a longer working time.

Chris let me know how what I told you to do works out for you tomorrow.

CEE DOG
07-02-2010, 08:50 PM
The way Tad told me to do it and it has worked well is to initally spread the product across the entire pad so each cell is coated (instead of just putting an X or dots on the pad).

grooveregulator
07-02-2010, 09:12 PM
How does it compare to Optimum's Compound II?

DARK HORSE
07-02-2010, 09:49 PM
The way Tad told me to do it and it has worked well is to initally spread the product across the entire pad so each cell is coated (instead of just putting an X or dots on the pad).

Dana taught me this technique, and as Corey has stated it works very well. I can't stress this enough, be sure to thoroughly prime the pad (no detail spray or pad conditioner needed) work the polish into every cell of the pad with your fingers. Also if it seems to be drying out to fast, I add a little bit more product. If it is dusting I just keep buffing, as long as I'm not dry buffing and there is still a moist trail of polish behind the pad:props:

richy
07-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Don't give up on the M105. I did not like it the first time I tried it and now it is my hands-down favourite...and that is with the original formula. You can use it fast, you can use it slow. Bear down on it and work your area in seconds. It is that fast and effective. If you use it with wool, you will correct the area in seconds and if you lighten up on it after a few seconds, it will finish down quite well indeed. I bought a gallon of it I like it so much.

AeroCleanse
07-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Its not the working of M105 I don't like, its if you get any splatter its so hard to remove. On a car I was working on, I didn't find M105 cut that fast before drying out. I would always have to stop and spray a little water on to make it work again.

I just moved on to other products that work well and have a longer working time.

maximus20895
07-02-2010, 10:54 PM
What do you now use?

105 drying up is a very common issue people seem to have. Why does it dry up so quickly?

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-02-2010, 11:20 PM
What do you now use?

105 drying up is a very common issue people seem to have. Why does it dry up so quickly?

That is the way it was designed. You remove defects quicker which helps speed up your details to a point.