PDA

View Full Version : Problem working with Meguiar's M105 Ultra Compound?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
07-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Everyone is missing the point, it cuts in that short of time that other polishes take longer to do. That is how the polish works, plain and simple. Either you have to change your technique or use another type of polish that has a longer working time.

That is the way it was designed. You remove defects quicker which helps speed up your details to a point.

I agree with Asphalt... It is designed to work fast.

I will add that the second version does have a little bit more working time and is a little less finicky to "drying up".

If/when M105 "dries up" during the polishing cycle that is the product telling you you worked it too long. Adjust your polishing cycle time accordingly.

DARK HORSE
07-02-2010, 11:36 PM
That is the way it was designed. You remove defects quicker which helps speed up your details to a point.

Hey Dana, I seem to remember reading some where that you can finish with Meg's D151 and wool and get a great finish, I bet 105 or a brick would even be better, eh?

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Hey Dana, I seem to remember reading some where that you can finish with Meg's D151 and wool and get a great finish, I bet 105 or a brick would even be better, eh?

LOL, I wish I was that good or maybe not. Im the MAN

redg35
07-03-2010, 05:00 PM
While M105 is great, I gave up on it because I found it too hard to work with. Mine was the original formula.
I did too.

Fly bye
07-03-2010, 05:20 PM
it cuts in that short of time that other polishes take longer to do.

Either you have to change your technique or use another type of polish that has a longer working time.

If the 105 cuts in such a short amount of time, why the need to work it longer?

Dubbin1
07-03-2010, 06:02 PM

Because for some people it is drying up after 1 pass over it.

WRAPT C5Z06
07-03-2010, 06:52 PM
I can't wait to receive my optimum hyper compound spray. If it has the same working time(long) as optimum hyper polish spray, I have a feeling it will replace M105 for me. M105 is a real pain to work with.

AeroCleanse
07-03-2010, 06:59 PM
What do you now use?

105 drying up is a very common issue people seem to have. Why does it dry up so quickly?

Now I use System 51 (used to be System One) X3 Cutting Polish.

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-03-2010, 07:40 PM

Never said to work it longer, others want it to work longer because they can not grasp how to use the polish as it was designed.

Grizzly
07-03-2010, 08:07 PM
How does moving the polisher over the surface of the paint for a couple of seconds remove defects?

Not sure I get it.

Da Fats
07-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Dana

How long should a section pass take with 105 on a 18x18 section? With wool... and with a pad... I can get 2 passes before dusting or 1 if i give some pressure and slow down to work on a RIDS and I think i confuse the dusting with drying... and I also figured out i was not using enough product... worked it to long... and let the pad cake up a few times on me...

I tried redoing it all spurring after each section and think I did a better job... Definitely think more procedure was a key to fixing defects within the short working time.

I ran outta 105 (damn 8 oz bottle that was more then 1/2 empty) before I got to practice with the white CCS and the 105 to see if i could remove halograms I put in with the wool.

Mulitple 205 + White CCS passes would not touch my marring though from the wool. Out of frustratin i grabbed the PCXP and Syn1 (from pb's beta test) and an org pad and with tons of pressure and multiple passes... This stuff did not do a single thing but put on a dust show! So the truck sits with ugly halograms on the side of the bed until my new pads backign plate and 32oz bottles of 105 and 205 come in... I will also test out Opt spray compound to see if it cleans any of it up.

I think for us newbies the short working time doesnt help when we make and extra pass outta unconfident decision making.

Anyway ill keep ya post and thanks for the hours of help Dana. Waiting for you to start making videos ;)

Chris

akimel
07-03-2010, 11:45 PM
I know that some folks prefer M95 to M105 because of the longer work time. M95 is a combination of super-abrasives and diminishing abrasives. Has anyone compared the two compounds?

itzJoker
07-04-2010, 12:09 AM
I just tried M105 for the first time today on my GG ROP w/ white LC pad.
Before I could even make 1 pass (not section pass) it was dusting like crazy!

Jumpingbean
07-04-2010, 02:29 AM
I just tried M105 today for the first time. It dusted quite a bit but I just sprayed the pad with some water and gave it another couple passes. I was working on a Mercedes with a Ceramic clear coat. It worked so fast it's not even funny. After 2 passes almost everything was gone. After 4 section passes only one deep scratch was left. And I'm using 6.5" orange CCS pads on a G110v2. The dusting is a bit of a pain but the cut is awesome. And it finishes great.

Flash Gordon
07-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Anyone having this problem should be sure your surface is cool and out of direct sunlight :buffing: