PDA

View Full Version : Detailing 101 Class: Machine Polishing - Saturday July 31st

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

javierag1
07-21-2010, 10:49 PM
Just registered. Really looking forward to my first 101 class. I just got my 7424XP today and I'm afraid to use it on my car until I know what I'm doing. I'll be driving up in my 2010 Audi S4 from Miami. Look forward to meeting everyone.

Javier aka javierag1

Laura
07-21-2010, 11:22 PM
What kind of food? There are a few good places around here, but not many. If you drive south 15 minutes to Jupiter, there are some really nice places there. Guanabana's is a nice outdoor restaurant on the Jupiter River, and Leftover's always has awesome food in a more casual setting. There's always Benihana which is in Sewall's Point a little closer to us.
A good seafood place would be great, but basically I'm interested in the somewhere the locals consider good food - I hate to go out of town and eat at a chain restaurant. I've read some good reviews about King Neptune and New England Market, but I'm a little nervous about online reviews. What's your take on these places?

We just have to bring it washed and everything(read that somewhere), right?... But what about driving on the turnpike for 2 hours.. will get bugs on car...

I'm still considering driving mine 13 hours through southern Alabama and Florida. Trust me, my car would get the prize for the most bugs and road grime. It would take Mike and an entire OCD detailing class to get mine back into decent shape - just to drive another 13 hours back through Florida and southern Alabama!

I'll be driving up in my 2010 Audi S4 from Miami. Look forward to meeting everyone.

Yeah! Another Audi-ite! :dblthumb2: What color is it?

bowlwise300
07-22-2010, 03:09 AM
lol. You should do it! Would your Audi already be polished, waxed, etc and immaculate coming down? It should be easier to clean it up when it is protected, I would think. But I've never done a 13 hour drive with the exterior nice and shinny and to the point of the detail like this class entails. Just a couple hour drives to beaches, Tampa Bay Rays' games and whatnot so nothing what you would encounter on your trip! Have fun with that :p And just think, you'll get to clean it back up and restore to that perfect finish with the skills you will take back from the class; a win win in my book :)

cwpcasey
07-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Casey aka cwpcasey plus 1

SATracker
07-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Hey Mike, for those of us living a distance from Florida, any chance you're going to do a Saturday-Sunday (Detailing 101-102) thing at AutoGeek like you did last year?

Mike Phillips
07-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Therefore, I'll just be dropped off that morning and either bum a ride back to the Marriott when the class is over,

I'll give you a ride back the Marriott... :D

Im in as well.

Bob aka Bobinsofla

Welcome to Autogeek Online! Thank you for registering with the forum, replying to the sign-up thread and signing up for the class.

:xyxthumbs:

I'll be there.

James aka jbgrimes

Ditto what I said above...

:dblthumb2:

We will be working on our own cars, correct?

Usually I either get a rental car or I'll choose the worst looking black car in the parking lot for the demo car and we'll work on it.

The class is set-up along the philosophy of,

"Feed a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"

The idea being is that we use one car and impart education and share techniques that will last you a lifetime. You then take the information and skills home with you and work on your car in your garage.

The 101 and 102 classes usually use just one demo car as that's all there's time for. The "Open Garage" classes not really a "class", that is there's no Power Point Presentation, people just bring their cars to Autogeek and we work on them, it's very casual.

Pictures from June 26th Open Garage at Autogeek's Show Car Garage! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-open-garage-classes/26655-pictures-june-26th-open-garage-autogeek-s-show-car-garage.html)

Having fun at Autogeek's Show Car Garage!
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/883/1opengar069.jpg

Extreme Makeover Classes are just that, we have a specific car that is going to be transformed from a diamond in the rough to a glistening gemstone and the owner and everyone that signs up gets to be part of the Transformation Team. This is the Extreme Makeover we did last Saturday,

Pictures + Video of 1932 Ford Highboy Extreme Makeover (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-open-garage-classes/27392-pictures-video-1932-ford-highboy-extreme-makeover.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/893/32FordHighboy045.jpg

There's a video in the link above of this car lighting up those huge meats in the back...

I'm coming from Orlando. Who's car is the demonstration and hands-on we are going to be doing? Yours? I thought we bring our own vehicle, clean, and we are shown on our hood or trunk and it's up to us to finish the car.

See what I wrote above.

We start with a Power Point Presentation and get "Head Knowledge", after teaching these classes for years now I know what guys think, they want to show up and first thing... grab a buffer and start buffing on a car... but it doesn't work that way.

So we have a class first then we take what we learned in the class and put it into practice on a demo car. Everyone is encouraged to work on the car but some people will choose to just watch others and I'm okay with either type of people but I strongly encourage everyone to get involved in the hands-on portion.

So if that is true, do we finish our car there with the products provided or at our home with our products and buffer? I just want to make sure I come prepared, knowing what exactly is going on. And so I know what car to bring. If we are working on a personal car I would bring one with swirls, oxidation and imperfections. If not I'd take a different car. Ya know..

The "Open Garage" events are for working on your own car, the Detailing 101 classes are primarily working with DA Polishers and the Advanced classes are for learning to use rotary buffers and usually wetsanding. You have to go to the 101 class before you can go to the advanced class.

Seriously, there's not enough time for 15 to 30 people to bring their cars and everyone do a complete detail on each car. The most important aspect of the class is getting solid information on proper techniques and hands-on experienced to back-up the information.

I'm in

Donny aka don083

Thanks for registering and signing up for the class. :xyxthumbs:

Not sure how the class will go, mike will pick his choice

In past classes, ag has rented a car to work on in class.

I might rent a car for this class, if I do I usually try to pick a black or dark colored car and a car with a large flat hood. The best demonstration cars have large flat hoods and trunk lids because you need something you can look down on; for this reason vans and trucks don't work very well.

In my last class, mike hit the lot with his Brinkmann and picked out a swirled out blue boxster to work on. The owner was gracious enough to let the class use the da's on the car and the hood ended up turning out great.

That was a fun class and a very "normal" class in that at least half the guys in the class had a DA Polisher and most of them were looking to learn how to maximize its capabilities.

Pictures & Comments from October 17th, 2009 Saturday Detailing 101 (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-saturday-detailing-101/21232-pictures-comments-porsche-space-coast-class-october-17th-2009-a.html)

This is the owner of this Porsche learning how to remove swirls, he's never used a DA polisher before and after a few quick lessons he's polishing like a seasoned pro!
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/746/SpaceCoast002.jpg

Just registered. Really looking forward to my first 101 class. I just got my 7424XP today and I'm afraid to use it on my car until I know what I'm doing. I'll be driving up in my 2010 Audi S4 from Miami. Look forward to meeting everyone.

Javier aka javierag1

Thank you for registering for the forum and the class, we'll see you here on Saturday.

Casey aka cwpcasey plus 1

Welcome to Autogeek Online! Thank you for registering with the forum, replying to the sign-up thread and signing up for the class.

:buffing:

Hey Mike, for those of us living a distance from Florida, any chance you're going to do a Saturday-Sunday (Detailing 101-102) thing at Autogeek like you did last year?

Probably in the future as more people find out that we offer classes here and then join the forum to participate.

:)

bowlwise300
07-27-2010, 12:49 PM
The Open Garage class would have been perfect for me to go to. My black truck is extremely faded and swirled. I clayed, used, with the DA Porter Cable, XMT 3 and 1, the XMT glaze and a polish over that on half the tailgate :autowash:. As soon as I finished that section it rained. I love Florida's afternoon showers..
People's reactions when they see the difference is great.

I have attached a few pictures so hopefully it works on your guys' end.

:checkit:

Mike Phillips
07-28-2010, 04:05 PM
There's 3-4 seats still available for this class... if you want to attend call Autogeek or click on one of the links above to process the registration...

1. Andrew
2. Edward
3. JS
4. Larry
5. Jon
6. Sean
7. Laura
8. Robert
9. Hugo
10. Donald
11. Javier
12. Casey
13. Paul
14. Fernando
15. Kaycin
16. Richard
17. Todd
18. Joey
19. Bill
20. Bruce
21. David
22. Jeremy

Other than that we're all ready to go for Saturday!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/903/July312010Class002.jpg

Porsche Pilot
07-28-2010, 04:51 PM
I am sure I speak for everyone when I say that we can't wait! Please tell me the showcar garage has awesome air conditioning. North Florida was 106 today with the heat index. When will it end?!!!

Mike Phillips
07-28-2010, 05:00 PM
I am sure I speak for everyone when I say that we can't wait! Please tell me the showcar garage has awesome air conditioning. North Florida was 106 today with the heat index. When will it end?!!!

The Show Car Garage and Studio has awesome air-conditioning... I'll have the temp set at 72 degrees.

Max really went all out... so far I've worked on two TV Studio sets and neither had air condtioning... so I can't tell you how much I appreciate our studio...

We're going to have a special guest photographer for the class too... he might even do some demonstrating...

jbgrimes
07-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Don't forget me!!

Jbgrime. Aka James

steedafocusgirl
07-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Ill be there!

Steedafocusgirl Aka Kristin Rogers

Seee ya'll tomorrow!

Btw
My Black cars paint has terriable swirls and sand marks from my body shops so called "detailer" lol!!!
It maybe a great canadate for an example :buffing:

Mike Phillips
07-30-2010, 01:15 PM
Don't forget me!!

Jbgrime. Aka James

Ill be there!

Steedafocusgirl Aka Kristin Rogers

Seee ya'll tomorrow!

Btw
My Black cars paint has terriable swirls and sand marks from my body shops so called "detailer" lol!!!
It maybe a great canadate for an example :buffing:

We'll definitely take a look at it and even if we don't use it for the demo car we'll do our best to help you dial in a system to restore a show car finish...

I just picked up the rental car, it's a metallac black 2010 Chrysler Sebring. Our Photographer is here too dialing-in the camera for tomorrow's shoot...

Mike Phillips
07-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Here's our Photographer, he's actually pretty good with a both Nikon and Canon Digital cameras...

My son and "Car Guy", Rand!
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/904/RandTheCameraMan001.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/904/RandTheCameraMan002.jpg

hugh
07-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Attending Detailing 101 class Hugo aka Hugh.
Regards,
Hugo