PDA

View Full Version : Edge 2000 4" Pads - PRODUCT REVIEW

MikeyC
11-07-2006, 11:56 PM
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/4801/img1452fg5.jpg
Manufacturer's Product Description:
There is no product description as yet because this product will not be released for a few weeks. However, it's basically the same product as the 6" pads just smaller. So, here's the product description for 6" pads . . .
The Edge 2000 6 Inch DuraFoam Pads will change the way you think about buffing pads. With a revolutionary Quick Change System, these pads require no backing plate and take only seconds to change. These reticulated polyester urethane foam pads are double-sided, and feature a quick connect/disconnect method of interchanging. You get twice the surface area in one pad and each pad fits your machine like a glove. No slipping, no coming off, and no hook and loop.
The unique design feature of The Edge pads is the Quick Change System. Pads snap into place and will not come off! Just push the release button on the Edge Adapter and the pad pops off. Snap a new pad into place and you’re ready to continue polishing.
The Edge 6 Inch DuraFoam Pad is rounded on the edges, allowing for more contoured buffing, especially in areas that formally were only accessible through hand buffing. Now it is possible to machine buff under mirrors and in tight grooves with ease, adding to the advanced scope of these detailing supplies.
The thick and durable Edge Foam Pads are double sided, therefore they will last at least twice as long as single sided pads. Economically speaking, they will save money by preventing frequent purchasing of single sided pads. It’s like buying two pads at once.
These innovative pads adapt to any machine buffer. Not only is it now possible to change from a polishing to a cutting pad in seconds, it is now feasible to change pads on any machine buffer, from Porter Cable to Makita. Choose pads that fit your buffer, than use The Edge Quick Change Adapter (sold separately) to snap pads on and off. Made of chrome-plated, solid machined brass, the adapter will last for years. Screw the adapter onto the polisher, push the release button, and the pad comes off. Below is the Quick Change Adapter for Dual-Action polishers. This adapter works with the Porter Cable 7424M and all other DA polishers.
The Edge 2000 6 Inch DuraFoam Pads are available in the following varieties:
Yellow Cutting Pad This pad is aggressive, and will cut through deep surface marks and swirls. They work well on heavy oxidation and pitted finishes, and will remove wet sand scratches without causing burning.
Green Medium Cutting Pad This pad is useful for light oxidation and moderate to severe swirls and imperfections. This pad will yield amazing results on older vehicles, and should be used on vehicles with moderate swirls and imperfections. Add a compound or pre-wax cleaner for a flawless finish on base coats. 50 pores per inch (ppi)
Orange Light Cutting Pad This pad is highly versatile, as it can be used on cars with light to moderate swirls and imperfections. We recommend you begin with this pad if you are unsure how deep swirls are, moving up to a Green Medium Cut Pad if necessary. Safe on clear coats. 60 pores per inch (ppi)
Blue Finishing Pad This pad is great for everyday use. It will leave surface areas scratch-free and smooth while still removing light swirls and imperfections. Use with wax and polish to apply a fine gloss. Safe on clear coats. 70 pores per inch (ppi)
White Ultrafine Polishing Pad This ultra-smooth polishing pad contains 80 pores per inch, allowing for fine polishing which creates a bold, crystalline gloss Use this pad to apply waxes, polishes and sealants. Safe on clear coats. 80 pores per inch (ppi)
Don’t just change pads – change the whole system! The Edge 2000 6 Inch DuraFoam Pads will revolutionize your detailing process!
Price:
$9 each (estimated)
Packaging Info:
I'm not sure if the production packaging will be the same. However, I received all four pads in one plastic bag. This plastic bag is identical to the one I recieved my D/A pads in. It lists all the foam colors and their aggressive level along with instructions for use of the Edge system.
Color/Scent:
1 orange pad, 1 white pad, 1 green pad, and 1 yellow pad
How I used it:
I used the orange pad with my PC for some spot buffing and the white pad with my "hand adapter" for LSP application by hand.
Thoughts:
These 4" pads were sent to me by Aaron the president of Edge pads to test out. I assume he sent them to me because I am constantly posting on the internet that he needs to make 4" pads. :D
I've had the opportunity to use these pads a few times now and wow do I love these pads. One may ask though . . . what seperates these pads from other 4" pads?
Simply put the difference is the Edge 2000 system. These 4" pads have all the same advantages as their 6" and 8" big brothers . . .
-Dual sided pads
-Automatic centering
-Quick disconnect
-No backing plate
-Constructed of high quality Durafoam
-NO VELCRO
The benefits these four differences result in are numerous. These pads cause the machine to vibrate less than velcro backed pads because they are automatically perfectly centered each time without even trying. The two sided pads allow you to quickly change polishes as you can quickly flip the pad to use a different polish. The two-sided pads also double the life expectancy of a pad. Plus no backing plate allows these pads to fit into some areas where normally the backing plate may hit paint and cause damage. The Durafoam Edge pads are made from is great. When I switched to Edge from LC and Meguiar's pads, I found the Edge pads were a much firmer foam and had a little more cut to them which made polishing much easier. Plus, this system uses no velcro. When you read about the problems most people have with traditional pads, 99% of them involve the velcro. Sometimes the pad flies off because the velcro has worn out and sometimes the velcro delaminates from the pad. There is NO VELCRO in Edge 2000 pads. So, you will never experience those problems with these pads. These are just a few advantages the Edge 2000 system offers.
The smaller size 4" pads offer their own unique added advantages. Most obvious is that the 4" pad is smaller and can fit into tighter areas. Less known is that the 4" pad concentrates the action of the PC in a smaller area allowing the machine to generate more heat. This higher level of friction makes defect correction quicker and easier. While deep defect correction over an entire car is clearly work for a rotary, deep defect correction in a smaller area is a perfect situation for 4" pads. On neglected cars, 4" pads are also great for correcting the edges of a panel before tackling the rest of the panel with a rotary (a/k/a "cutting in" the edges of the panel).
One of the biggest advantages though of these 4" pads over others is their lack of a backing plate. Formerly when I was using velcro backed pads, I needed to get out my flat wrench everytime I wanted to switch pad sizes. In order to safely use my 4" pads I needed to put my 3.5" backing plate on the machine. Typically though, my 5" backing plate was already on the machine because I had previously been using my 6.5" pads. Switching pad size on the machine was a SERIOUS PITA and often times I just did smaller areas by hand to avoid switching backing plates. The Edge 2000 system however uses no backing plate. All pads no matter what size use the same quick change adapter. So, I can switch from a 4" pad to a 6" pad in a blink. This allows me to be more efficient with my time and encourages me to use the machine for smaller areas and spot polishing. This improves my results and saves my arm muscles. I no longer mind getting out the PC to polish a small scratch out because I know I can switch to the smaller pads with no effort. I'm also polishing more areas on my car with the machine now because I can quickly switch to the smaller pad which fits in these areas.
I also enjoyed using the 4" pads in conjunction with the "hand adapter" prototype Aaron had sent me to try out a few months ago. The adapter was a little akward to use with the 6" pads, but works great with the 4" pads. I used the white pad along with the adapter to wax a couple cars and found it much less fatiguing to my hand than using a foam or MF applicator. I also found it much easier to get a thin, even coat using the white pad. I really hope now that the 4" pads are being released Aaron will revisit the "hand adapter" as I feel the two together make a great tool.
It's no secret that I am a big proponent of the Edge 2000 pad system (and the ShMitt for that matter). They're great products that I have used and they have served me well. Plus, I have the peace of mind knowing that Aaron backs up his products 110% should I ever have a problem. While the 4" pads are not quite as innovative as the recently release ShMitt, I do feel they really transform the Edge 2000 pads into a more complete system for the D/A. IMO there is now no reason to own any velcro pads what so ever. I've already sold my LC Spot Buffs kit. Plus, an added bonus is that the new 4" pad size allows Cyclo users to now experience the benefits of the Edge 2000 system. The PC adapter fits a Cyclo which uses 4" pads.
Some pictures . . .
Prototype "hand adpater"
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/6686/img1458vs3.jpg
4" pad on prototype adapter
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/1686/img1457lf2.jpg
4" pad on PC
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/9670/img1459sp8.jpg

Cross
11-08-2006, 02:11 AM
4" pads will be great, but I am glad to see the hand adapter. I was gunna make one in the garage but buying one would be a lot less work. When is the release on these two products?

FloridaNative
11-08-2006, 03:30 AM
Excellent write up Mike. :applause: I am very excited about their arrival as well. :)

trl2112
11-08-2006, 06:41 AM
I have been waiting for these! Thanks for the review.

ScottB
11-08-2006, 06:47 AM
I too see where the smaller pads would work for minor corrections and small spots, but still see a bigger advantage to the end-user with larger pads to do an entire car within a reasonable time.

XterraOverload
11-08-2006, 08:29 AM
these will be great for windows and other small areas!

MikeyC
11-08-2006, 09:49 AM
4" pads will be great, but I am glad to see the hand adapter. I was gunna make one in the garage but buying one would be a lot less work. When is the release on these two products?

I can't say that the hand adapter will ever be released, but the 4" pads I believe will be released sometime later this month. I'm sure Aaron will chime in with a more definite release date sometime soon.

FYI, should you choose to make your own hand adapter it is made from a rotary adapter which is longer than the PC adapter.

I too see where the smaller pads would work for minor corrections and small spots, but still see a bigger advantage to the end-user with larger pads to do an entire car within a reasonable time.

Absolutely! I would never use 4" pads to do an entire car. I only use them for spot buffing or buffing certain tight areas. This is why I think the Edge 4" pads have a huge advantage over velcro 4" pads. You can swap pad sizes in a blink because there is no backing plate to change out.

sparkie
11-11-2006, 04:33 AM
Use them on headlights? I have been waiting for this too.:applause: To Edge!

ryandamartini
11-11-2006, 07:40 AM
Cant wait till my bday, edge pads will be coming in the mail like crazy! :D

justin_murphy
11-11-2006, 08:14 AM
Very nice write up. Those pads will be hot just like all of EDGE's products!
I can't wait to get a set myself.

Surfer
11-11-2006, 01:02 PM
I was one of the few who got to test the 4" pads about 8 or so months ago. Aaron made me a blue and orange pad. They really came in handly on tight spots and for spot buffing certain areas.

sparkie
11-15-2006, 04:34 PM
When will AG have this product?

MikeyC
11-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Very nice write up. Those pads will be hot just like all of EDGE's products!
I can't wait to get a set myself.

Looks like I finally managed to get my hands on a product before Justin did. :D :awesome:

I was one of the few who got to test the 4" pads about 8 or so months ago. Aaron made me a blue and orange pad. They really came in handly on tight spots and for spot buffing certain areas.

Blue is the only color he didn't send me. So, I'll just have to buy it when AG gets their supply.