PDA

View Full Version : New Member Marietta,Ga

Pages : [1] 2

Detail
07-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Wanted to take a second and introduce myself. First off, how in the world did I get this screen name? I can't believe none of you had this.

I'm and IT guy by trade but a car guy at heart. Got into the car scene via detailing (really unskilled all by hand type work) as a teenager. I used to clean my father's associates rides for $50-$60 which equated to 5-6 hours of work. 5 years later I finally got a decent car and got to "trade" in my free details that I had given friends for parts and labor. I moved onto working at local tuner shop in Atlanta as a summer job. I turned wrenches during the day and was responsible for our pro drag car's finish during the race season. This also let me clean a whole bunch of pro import drag racers cars. Had one guy in particular that wouldn't run unless I touched his car. Swore to me it gave him a .10 in the 1/4 mile. :)

So many years later I'm still playing with cars and trying to make my details better. I never charge people anymore, the price is paid in the smile on their faces. In the last year I've gotten a lot more educated and my tools have finally come around.

Here are my products in use: anything in bold you can buy locally at stores. Everything else I’ve purchased online.

Wash:
5 gallon bucket
Dirt guard insert
Meguiars ultimate wash and wax
Another 5 gallon bucket
I use microfiber wash mitts
Soft bristle scrub brush
Eagle 1 A-Z wheel cleaner
Absorber synthetic drying rag
Rigid 6.5 hp vacuum (doubles as a blower which I use to help dry the car, gets all the water out of seals and cracks, seriously...why don't you have one of these???)
RainX for the outside of the windshield
NoTouch wet and protect tire shine (this stuff only lasts a week or so, but you can see yourself in your tires, and I like that)

Exterior:

Porter cable 7336sp
I have the hook and loop adapter for it
Lake Country pads (about 10 of them of various cuts and uses) Really only need 1-2 orange pads, 1 white, 1 grey, 1 blue
Lake Country Wool pad and about 5 of the microfiber bonnets that I put over the wool for wax/polish/glaze removal
I use Sam’s Club Microfiber. Yeah, it’s not the best. But $ for $ its pretty good
Mothers Clay Bar system
Pinnacle Swirl Remover
Pinnacle Micro Polish
Klasse glaze
Pinnacle Soverign paste wax

Inside:
For leather
Lexol conditioner/conditioner (made where I live)
For Dash I use Lexol Vinylex (made where I live)

For cleaning dirty panels I use Amorall yellow top cleaning wipes
For Carpet I use Tuff Stuff to spot treat
For glass use Invisible Glass (won’t harm tint, no streaks)

Detail
07-01-2010, 12:25 PM
I added pics of my recently cleaned ride up in my profile. Comments are welcome. Just remember, its a 95, with stock paint. It's never been garaged until just recently. And it lived in South GA (Valdosta) for 7 years battling 100+ degree sun. Front passenger fender has a little spray paint on it. And the front bumper isn't painted cause with 244k on the odometer, money is better spent on the motor rather than the paint.

Detail
07-03-2010, 12:56 AM
Well, thanks for the lovely welcome. lol.

Jenn1270
07-03-2010, 01:23 AM
Welcome...sorry for everyone jumping in to say Hi.

You seem like a neat guy to detail for free. I guess we all like to do little things for people just for smiles.

Keep up the good work and welcome

Jenn

cobalt9123
07-03-2010, 07:36 AM
Welcome, I, too am an IT guy that's really a car enthusiast :)
Where do you work in Marietta? I'm in Winder, GA

ryandamartini
07-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Another Atlanta Area member! There are tons of us. We really should all get together sometime :)

SouthernStyles
07-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Welcome! I feel like half the ppl on here are from Ga

01GreyStangGT
07-03-2010, 11:07 PM
I went to Life University in Marietta. I really liked it there.

KevinR
07-04-2010, 11:39 AM

It's nothing personal... it's just a holiday weekend.

Welcome to the forums, you're going to find a lot of useful information here. And, yes, I'm from Georgia too. Macon, to be exact.

GK Auto Spa
07-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Welcome!! Im on the Eastside of the A. Delk rd is where i used to stay,I love it in Ga. I just gotta link up with more auto enthusiast to fulfill my detailing destiny!

Enjoi your 4th of July!!

GK Auto Spa
07-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Welcome!! Im on the Eastside of the A. Delk rd is where i used to stay,I love it in Ga. I just gotta link up with more auto enthusiast to fulfill my detailing destiny!

Enjoi your 4th of July!!

Mike Phillips
07-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

We try to welcome all our new members in a timely manner, sometimes there's a lapse depending upon the timer and/or day...

How-To Articles (http://tinyurl.com/y9gcarg)
How-To Videos (http://tinyurl.com/yhqfo26)

:)

sal329
07-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Welcome to AG

Detail
07-12-2010, 12:16 PM
GK,
Grew up in the area you described. I'm north of there by 10 minutes now.

gumbedamit
07-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Welcome, I'm just west of you in the Hiram/Dallas area. Hey can I bring my car over to you for a detail.... After I finish working on everyone else's ride, I'm too tired to do mine....:)