PDA

View Full Version : Stopping the progression of clear coat failure.

Dayten
06-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Hey Guys,

Well after reading multiple forums, it looks like the clear coat on my car is in the onset of failing. I noticed the crow’s foot, or three sided star on a section of my car. I only see one crow’s foot on my car, but the reflection in that area in question is not as sharp as the rest of the car. Since the day I picked up my new 2007 Honda Civic Si, I’ve clayed and sealed it with sealants and wax. I am a bit disappointed that a three year old car would have clear coat failure. Like a lot of you, I am pretty OCD about my car, it is garage keep during the nights and weekends. Unfortunately my warranty on my car as already expired, so I my not be able to get it repaired by the dealer.

My question is this, are you able to slow down the progression or stop it? Will polishing the area and then sealing it with a wax that is high in oils slow down or stop the failure? Currently I have Natty’s Wax on it right now. From what I can tell, it has not affected the paint and I only see that single crow’s foot on the clear. Any advice you can give me will get greatly appreciated.

Mike Phillips
06-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Just to be clear, (no pun intended), you're saying that the clear layer of paint is starting to turn whitish or clouding on the horizontal surfaces?

That's the normal indicator of clearcoat failure, the clear paint starts to turn white and when it gets real far along it starts to flake off and you car looks like it has a rash.

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/rough-draft/19985-clearcoat-failure-photo-gallery-archive.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/724/clearcoatfailurebeginning.jpg

:)

Dayten
06-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Mike,

No my clear coat is in a lot better shape then that. This is not the best picture to show it, but you can make out the crow’s foot. I will try to take better pictures tonight.

Mike Phillips
06-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Mike,

No my clear coat is in a lot better shape then that. This is not the best picture to show it, but you can make out the crow’s foot. I will try to take better pictures tonight.

That just looks like a crack? Is it possible something impacted the paint in that location? Flying baseball? Golf ball gone wild?

Are there more cracks just like it all over the place?

Usually paint will crack on and around the hood and forum consensus is the problem is at least in part due to heat...

Clearcoat failure as it's is talked about on forums is when the paint starts to turn opaque or whitish in the early stages and then just gets worse and worse till it looks like a rash and flakes off...

While cracking, as in lots of cracks can also be referred to as a type of failure, it's not normally what's referred to as "Clearcoat Failure".

That all said... it's still no fun to have a crack in your car's paint...

Dayten
06-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Mike,

Thank you for your reply. When I first saw it, it appeared like it was a crack on the clear coat. There was no dent or any signs of an impact from an object so I thought it was a failure on the clear coat. I then did several searches and did come across your definition of a clear coat failure, but it didn’t match up with was going on with my car. After doing more searches on forums specific to my car, someone had mentioned that a “crack, crow’s foot, or a three sided star” was also a sign of failure. That is when I thought I should ask for expert advice.

So if it is a crack, will polishing that section with a DA fix my issue or will I make it worst? Will the crack spread or get larger (cracked windshield scenario) when using a DA polisher, or will it cut enough of the clear to smooth out the crack. I don’t have a DA polisher yet, but if I need to, I’ll order one for my car. Thanks again for your reply.

Poorboy
06-30-2010, 03:41 PM
those are quite common and often happen from a bird dropping or even an acidic berry, or as Mike said, something hitting it at a high speed like a tiny stone on the highway ... some paints might have chipped, but yours just cracked :(

ps .. no polishing will not make it better and might actually make it more pronounced

Mike Phillips
06-30-2010, 05:53 PM
There's a problem called "Crow's Feet" or "Lacquer Checking" that is mostly associated with solvent-evaporation lacquer paints, these were the norm about sometime in the 1930's to the 1980's, enamels came along in the 1960's but lacquers were still popular all the way up until the industry switched over the basecoat/clearcoat systems starting in the early 1980's.

The cracking associated with "Crow's Feet" or "Lacquer Checking"was actual cracking or paint separating throughout the layer or matrix of paint and more and more buffing would just expose more and more of the crack.

So I kind of with Poorboy on this, if in fact what you have is an isolated crack in the clear layer, then more and more buffing will just expose more and more of the crack, it will probably never go away.

Is that the only crack in the paint... then it really looks like an isolated incident and not a reflection of a systemic failure.

Dayten
07-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Mike and Poorboy,

Thank you for your replies. I appreciate you sharing your expertise and knowledge with my problem. Looks like all I can do now is just keep on caring for my car's finish, paying special attention to the crack.

Well, time to do some shopping. After watch your videos I am eager to try Pinnacle Signature Series II.

Thanks Again.