PDA

View Full Version : FK 425 versus Optimum Instant Detailer?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

sportscarhiatus
06-30-2010, 11:42 AM
As the subject title states, I am about to place an order on AG, but I am torn between whether to get a gallon of OID or a gallon of FK 425. I have read some other reviews on FK, but I didn't really see anything on specifically how it compares to OID.

Could I please get some opinions on how these two compare? Did someone switch from one to the other? And why? What does one do better than the other? I currently have OID, but it's almost empty, so I need to restock. I love OID, but if FK 425 is better, then I'll get that...

HELP!!!!

Matt S.
06-30-2010, 12:03 PM
FK425 is definitely a great QD, but OID is one of the few that has really "wowed" me. It's super easy to use, leaves a very slick finish, and only gets slicker over time. I'd go with Optimum.

Matt

sportscarhiatus
06-30-2010, 12:55 PM
thanks Matt... I too have OID and love it. But you know how anal we can get... "Is there something better?"...

Any other opinions before I buy?

CEE DOG
06-30-2010, 01:03 PM
I've just recently started using the 425 but I can't seem to get myself to stick with it yet. I just keeping reaching for my OID... Need to spend some more time w/ the 425 to have a firm opinion on it.

sportscarhiatus
06-30-2010, 01:57 PM
I've just recently started using the 425 but I can't seem to get myself to stick with it yet. I just keeping reaching for my OID... Need to spend some more time w/ the 425 to have a firm opinion on it.

Thanks Cee... So why do you still "reach for the OID"? Is it easier to use? Slicker? Glossier? Smells better? ;)

I might just buy BOTH. For 20 bucks, I get the 32oz = 1 gallon of OID, then for 15 bucks, I get the 32ozer for the FK425.

Darn choices :(

CEE DOG
06-30-2010, 03:28 PM
I don't know. I guees it's just comfort level with the OID. Like I said I need to spend more time with the 425.

Buy the 32 oz of OID and get a 4 oz sample of FK-425 to try out.

I do think the 425 is less streaky but I haven't used it enough to know for sure. (not that I have any problem with OID)

ScottB
06-30-2010, 04:18 PM
you cannot go wrong with either ...

jrt81
06-30-2010, 05:06 PM
I might just buy BOTH. For 20 bucks, I get the 32oz = 1 gallon of OID, then for 15 bucks, I get the 32ozer for the FK425.

Darn choices :([/QUOTE]

While I haven't tried FK425, I'm very happy with OID.

Why not buy the gallon of OID? For $50, you have 4 gallons worth!

Rsurfer
06-30-2010, 06:39 PM
I like FK better than OID. Smells better, doesn't streak and is anti-static.

Pats300zx
06-30-2010, 07:07 PM
I have both. I think both are great QD's but I find myself reaching for 425 more.

Da Fats
06-30-2010, 07:29 PM

OID is also anti static... it definitely has been less streaky then 425 for me and IMHO is slicker to the touch...

haha... It may all be in the eye of the beholder but i have given a good 1/2 bottle of each a try and i will be buying OID over 425

Chris

Old Tiger
06-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Gotta agree on 2 outta 3. OID has a great bubble gum smell. I cant recall what FK smells like but maybe that is your point. For my dark vehicles I find OID works FWIW these are my 2 favorite QD;s at any price!better at 4:1 than 3:1 (i.e., less streaky)).

CEE DOG
06-30-2010, 08:35 PM
I just took a sniff of the FK-425 and then took both FK-425 and OID out to the garage for a test.The OID does streak easier then the FK-425. I have always wiped with a dry side after using OID. You almost have to in order to not get streaking. With the 425 I didn't have to wipe with dry side. I could just work with 1 side and it came out great. However if it's windy the FK-425 will go everywhere since the sprayer produces such a fine mist.) I like the scent of the OID better but functionality is more important then scent. Price is on OID's side though.

Test
Humidity 51%
Temperature 86 Deg.

Looks - Tied (In this lighting anyway)
Slickness - FK-425 (Noticeable difference)
Ease of use - FK-425
Fragrance - OID
Price - OID

Edit: I didn't factor in cleaning ability (fyi in case that matters to anybody reading)

Conclusion:
If price is important or you are using it as part of your drying method with a semi wet vehicle then go with OID.
If price isn't important then go with FK-425.

Here are a couple pics that I will post since I already took the trouble to take them. They aren't any help though...
FK-425 is on the right of each picture
OID on the left

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_1595.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_1598.JPG

mchess1
06-30-2010, 08:54 PM
I will chime in on the FK425 side, it is my favorite QD .... as soon as you dump the lousy sprayer it comes with.

Rsurfer
06-30-2010, 08:56 PM
I just took a sniff of the FK-425 and then took both FK-425 and OID out to the garage for a test.The OID does streak easier then the FK-425. I have always wiped with a dry side after using OID. You almost have to in order to not get streaking. With the 425 I didn't have to wipe with dry side. I could just work with 1 side and it came out great. However if it's windy the FK-425 will go everywhere since the sprayer produces such a fine mist.) I like the scent of the OID better but functionality is more important then scent. Price is on OID's side though.

Test
Humidity 51%
Temperature 86 Deg.

Looks - Tied (In this lighting anyway)
Slickness - FK-425 (Noticeable difference)
Ease of use - FK-425
Fragrance - OID
Price - OID

Edit: I didn't factor in cleaning ability (fyi in case that matters to anybody reading)

Conclusion:
If price is important or you are using it as part of your drying method with a semi wet vehicle then go with OID.
If price isn't important then go with FK-425.

Here are a couple pics that I will post since I already took the trouble to take them. They aren't any help though...
FK-425 is on the right of each picture
OID on the left

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_1595.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_1598.JPG
Your paint looks awesome.:props: