PDA

View Full Version : New Range Rover Sport - Need some advice - FL

kswest
11-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Great forums, I've been reading for the past couple hours.

I just bought a brand new black/black Range Rover Sport and want to keep it as clean as possible. So far I have done nothing.

Some considerations ...

I live in an oceanfront condo and the salt in the air gets EVERYWHERE and I don't have a ton of room to do detailing (just the public parking garage).

Here are my questions ....

1. The dealer is offering me a service called Xzilon for free. Some molecular bonding to the paint and interior protection crap. Should I take it?

2. Anyone know any good detailers in the Orlando/Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach/Melbourne area? I'm not lazy, but buffing paint for hours on end once a month isn't my idea of fun. I'd rather spend a couple hundred bucks than a whole weekend.

Thanks for all the input. I am thinking about the Pinnacle products. Should place an order soon.

Excessive Detail
11-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Not sure about the xzilon, not from the area, and if your going to use an outside detailer make sure they have a reputation and they know what their doing, ask around, there are good detail shops out there and there are some pretty crappy ones, be careful, I've seen some ruined paints that were unfixable because people went to the wrong place.

supercharged
11-08-2006, 06:25 AM
Great forums, I've been reading for the past couple hours.

I just bought a brand new black/black Range Rover Sport and want to keep it as clean as possible. So far I have done nothing.

Some considerations ...

I live in an oceanfront condo and the salt in the air gets EVERYWHERE and I don't have a ton of room to do detailing (just the public parking garage).

Here are my questions ....

1. The dealer is offering me a service called Xzilon for free. Some molecular bonding to the paint and interior protection crap. Should I take it?

2. Anyone know any good detailers in the Orlando/Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach/Melbourne area? I'm not lazy, but buffing paint for hours on end once a month isn't my idea of fun. I'd rather spend a couple hundred bucks than a whole weekend.

Thanks for all the input. I am thinking about the Pinnacle products. Should place an order soon.
Well first of all let's just say that you don't need to buff your paint once a month. It's recommended to to 2-3 times a year, again maybe even just some spot buffs.

Second I will say that you don't need to remove swirls if you very carefull. Black cars require a lot of attention, and it is recommended to wash it a least once a week. Twice is prefered for a showroom shine.
Another important choice is your tools. If you get "Bob's choice car wash" out of some Auto Zone, and cheap washing tools (cheap chenille pads and such), then you will be basically wetsanding and will have a lot of swirls.
Black cars need some good shampoo - like Pinnacle Bodywork shampoo, or Poorboy's SS&S. Both of these off very high lubricity. You will also need to get Sheepskin wash mitt. I suggest you get this one from Autogeek, the one is Walmart are lacking in quality. Cobra Guzzler for drying, with some good QD spray (Clearkote Quikshine).
Blacks will really benefit form a good carnauba wax, like Poorboy's Natty blue, or the king of waxes - Pinnacle Souveran paste. Remember to wax once a month for best results.

Hope this helps.

ScottB
11-08-2006, 06:40 AM
Xillion --- paint sealant (ie synthetic wax) , offered by dealer as a protection that will last for several years. This is bogus, paint sealants offer around 6 months of protection on average, but even without care, your clearcoat should last several years. Buy some Duragloss, Wolfgang, or even DP Shield Shine and do it yourself more often.

XterraOverload
11-08-2006, 08:46 AM
HA HA you bought BLACK!!.......................................... SUCKER!!!
.ummmmmmmmmmm I got black too!

XterraOverload
11-08-2006, 08:47 AM
I love blac but it does take a LOT of T.LC.:D

supercharged
11-08-2006, 10:25 AM
I would not take anything offered by the dealer to detail my car.