PDA

View Full Version : Best Technique for Trim Dressing Application?

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
06-30-2010, 03:10 AM
I HOPE I'm not the only one with this problem, but I always end up getting trim dressing on my paint when i apply it, which then makes the paint kinda greasy looking and sometimes can be a pain to get off.

My question is, what do you use to apply it, and do you have any specific techniques you use to apply it and then make sure if you do get some on the paint, it doesnt make the paint look streaky/greasy?

I usually use an applicator pad or a MF cloth, but still in some areas it gets on the paint. If the paint has been waxed recently, usually the MF I used to dry the car after washing it works fine for taking the dressing off the paint...but not always....Suggestions anyone!?

Dubbin1
06-30-2010, 03:32 AM
Pick up some foam paint brushes of various sizes, they have been a life saver for me.

Black Bart
06-30-2010, 03:33 AM
I HOPE I'm not the only one with this problem, but I always end up getting trim dressing on my paint when i apply it, which then makes the paint kinda greasy looking and sometimes can be a pain to get off.

My question is, what do you use to apply it, and do you have any specific techniques you use to apply it and then make sure if you do get some on the paint, it doesnt make the paint look streaky/greasy?

I usually use an applicator pad or a MF cloth, but still in some areas it gets on the paint. If the paint has been waxed recently, usually the MF I used to dry the car after washing it works fine for taking the dressing off the paint...but not always....Suggestions anyone!? A foam tire wipe or a small foam paint brush is what I use.

It is no wonder you are having trouble you have no control of where it goes with a rag, try a foam brush you will have much better luck.

When you wax while is is drying apply your trim dressing and if you get a little on the waxed portion it will be on the wax not the paint and it will wipe off with the wax.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
06-30-2010, 03:42 AM
If i use a MF i usually just keep the wet part on one area about the size of my finger...so i dont get it EVERYWHERE...but i do get spots ya know?

What type of protectant are you using with the foam brushes? Do you apply directly to the foam brush, then to the trim?

Dubbin1
06-30-2010, 03:45 AM
I use it with any kind of dressing and apply it to the foam brush only.

pokerbob781
06-30-2010, 08:58 AM
I use a mf towel and I get the same problem. Foam brush is a great idea. Anyone use Mother's? I have this and it doesnt work all that great.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
06-30-2010, 04:18 PM
I use a mf towel and I get the same problem. Foam brush is a great idea. Anyone use Mother's? I have this and it doesnt work all that great.

Ive used Mothers Back To Black. It worked pretty good but it didnt last as long as i would of liked it to. I might give it one more shot but just use APC+ on all my really bad trim first, just to make sure it super clean, and then apply the Back To Black.

If it doesnt work I'll probably give Megs Ultimate Protectant a go :)

akimel
06-30-2010, 06:59 PM
I use cosmetic sponge wedges, available from any drug store, to apply trim dressing.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/138dsc00486.jpg

They work like a charm. I confess, however, that I asked my wife to buy them for me. :)

Da Fats
06-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Ive used Mothers Back To Black. It worked pretty good but it didnt last as long as i would of liked it to. I might give it one more shot but just use APC+ on all my really bad trim first, just to make sure it super clean, and then apply the Back To Black.

Try PB's TR I liked it much better then back to black

Old Tiger
06-30-2010, 08:46 PM

Megs UP is much like a sealant for trim. It is far more durable than B2B. It doesnt attract dust like B2B or any other oily trim dressing. Best in Class!

CEE DOG
06-30-2010, 10:07 PM
I use cosmetic sponge wedges, available from any drug store, to apply trim dressing.

They work like a charm. I confess, however, that I asked my wife to buy them for me. :)

Thats funny - I was just purchasing little sample bottles last week. Anyway I was looking for the right ones and I came across a woman store lol you know cosmetics and such. Anyway I found some great bottles and while on the search noticed some of these brushes and funny little things woman use look like they might be great for detailing tasks.

Anyway, love your idea. When Mrs. DOG wakes up tommorrow she may be a few wedges shy of what she has now. :D

Jenn1270
06-30-2010, 10:17 PM
Eyeshadow applicators are good for getting into small nooks and crannies as well as those wedges.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/applicator_lrg.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/19814)

I prefer the multipack of foam brushes at the hobby store. They do a GREAT job on trim. As for the tires I like the cobra tire sponges

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
07-01-2010, 02:04 AM
Eyeshadow applicators are good for getting into small nooks and crannies as well as those wedges.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/applicator_lrg.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/19814)

I prefer the multipack of foam brushes at the hobby store. They do a GREAT job on trim. As for the tires I like the cobra tire sponges

I know exactly what you like for tires jenn :). I'm sure i'll like them just as much.

I can just see my 6'3 self walkin around in the womens cosmetic area haha. I'll bring my sister with just so i dont look TOO bad...thou growing up around 5 women has made me pretty comfortable being around things most guys cringe over lol. Those do look like they would work quite well...i'll just have to buy a couple and buy a couple of those paint sponges and try them out to see which I prefer.

I've heard too many good things about Ultimate Protectant, guess I might as well add it to my cart and give it a go. Hopefully I'll like it as much as everyone else does and then i wont have to try anything else anytime soon.

Can U.P be used on plastic for when i detail interiors, or would PlastX be a better choice (or something else for that matter.)?

BobbyG
07-01-2010, 05:55 AM
I'll buy some foam padding and cut it into sizes that make sense for specific areas. They last a good long time, they're inexpensive and when I'm through with them I just throw them away.