PDA

View Full Version : Black WOW or Meg's Ultimate Protectant

ziggo99
06-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Can anyone chime on which product lasts longer and gives a non greasy looking finish? I'm looking at adding a trim protectant to my collection. There is a good price difference between the two, but does it warrant the extra cost?

Dubbin1
06-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Never used BW but the Megs does not leave a greasy finish.

Marc08EX
06-30-2010, 12:31 AM
Never used BW but the Megs does not leave a greasy finish.

I think black wow is extremely greasy...

Harleyguy
06-30-2010, 07:58 AM
I use Black Wow you need to put it on very lightly use at most a pea size drop using a foam applicator.Also depending how dull your black plastic pieces you may have to do more then one application.

clordj12
06-30-2010, 08:17 AM
I think black wow is extremely greasy...

I think its greasy too, doesnt look greasy but to the touch it will be if it has not been properly wiped with a damp MF. It looks great and all but you need to apply it very lightly and make sure all residue is wiped off after it sits for awhile. My favorite exterior trim protectant at the moment is Aerospace 303 protectant. Gives UV protection and looks just as good if not better than BW and is not greasy at all but doesnt even come close to lasting as long as BW. I cannot speak for megs UP.

C30-Mike
06-30-2010, 08:22 AM
BW last the longest. You must apply it VERY thin or it will be greasy.
I had BW on a winshield trim and it lasted over 3 months. No greasy feel when I applied it thin and it still had even coverage.
The nice thin g about BW is you use so little, the one bottle will last you for a year.

clordj12
06-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Yes I agree that it outlasts any other trim protectant. I've had that little bottle of black wow for a year now and still have quite a bit left. Use it quite a bit too. They key is very thin application. If streaking occurs use a damp MF towel to wipe clean and the streaking will be gone. It comes with instructions just follow them and you will be happy with how long it lasts.

akimel
06-30-2010, 08:56 AM
Do consider Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-tire-trim-guard.html). I have found it to be exceptionally durable--3-6 months. It darkens the trim, but I have not used it on weathered trim that needs to be restored. It is also expensive, but a little goes a long way. Think of it as a protective sealant for plastic and metal trim.

jfelbab
08-13-2014, 12:28 PM
I use Meg's D156, a.k.a. UQW. It leaves a nice new satin look, definitely not greasy at all and it lasts for weeks. It also doesn't run down on the paint when it rains like some dedicated protectors do.

Desertnate
08-13-2014, 12:37 PM
I've never used Black Wow, but I've not been too impressed with the Meg's Protectant.

On my daily drivers, the protectant only lasts a week or two at most and tends to run when exposed to rain. It looks good, but doesn't hold up real well from my experience.

wdmaccord
08-13-2014, 02:07 PM
Have you looked into the new Blackfire Total Trim & Tire Sealant? My bottle just showed up yesterday and looking forward to testing it this weekend. Lots of good reviews here and on Autopia if you want to check them out.

The Guz
08-13-2014, 07:33 PM
I have not used black wow but have used Meguiar's ultimate protectant. With ultimate protectant I have personally seen a month's durability out of it. Of course I'm out in California so we don't see rain too often with this drought. If you are looking for something long term I would pick up some wolfgang exterior trim sealant. If you want something local pick up some Turtle Wax Jet Black Black Endura Shine Trim Coat. Seems to hold up pretty good.

MPBGT
08-13-2014, 07:40 PM
Duragloss 271 is hard to beat for the price.

KillaCam
08-13-2014, 09:56 PM
Duragloss 271 is hard to beat for the price.

This. If it were me I would just coat it with DLUX though.