PDA

View Full Version : Glass cleaner

Skyshine
06-27-2010, 03:11 PM
When I detailed aircraft, the only FAA approved glass cleaner was a 50/50 mix of IPA (rubbing alcohol) and water. It works really well and is the only true streak free glass cleaner I've ever used. Plus it's very inexpensive. I would like to continue using it and assume it's safe but is it in fact safe to use on all types of auto glass including tinted glass? Thanks!

A4 1.8tqm
06-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Not sure about tint safety, but it sure is interesting that IPA is the only FAA approved glass cleaner. I'll use it next time I do my windows, I think that's what I did last time I ran out of Stoners, can't remember for sure.

AeroCleanse
06-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Its not the only FAA approved glass cleaner. Glass cleaners for aircraft just can't have any ammonia in them as it destroys the plexi-glass over time.

A4 1.8tqm
06-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Oh, I guess the word "when" in "when I detailed aircraft..." is key, I'm not sure when "when" was. :) Good info Aero.

EliteImageDetailing
06-27-2010, 05:28 PM
I know as of now the only glass cleaner we use is IPA 10% to distilled water 90% on our amazing aircraft.

Skyshine
06-27-2010, 05:39 PM
The IPA and water was the only thing we were allowed to use, I may have misunderstood that to be the only option. Thanks for clarifying. Never-the-less, I assume it's safe for tints as it is for coated windscreens on jets. Just thought I'd see if anyone knew for sure.

AeroCleanse
06-27-2010, 06:06 PM
From a website that sells only aircraft detailing supplies (no link as to not infringe on any AG rules)

Plexi-Clear is an anti-static aircraft plexiglas cleaner, protectant and polish. Plexi-Clear produces a microscopic, high luster, soil retarding and water repellent finish to all aircraft plexiglas and plastics. Plexi-Clear actually seals the pores of the plastic and leaves small scratches less visible, leaving a surface that is fresh, lustrous and protected. Plexi-Clear dries perfectly with no smears, scratches, or smudges. Plexi-Clear can be applied in seconds, in one easy step. Boeing and MIL Spec Approved.

IPA and water it probably the cheapest way to go, esp if you can buy IPA in bulk quantities.

BobbyG
06-29-2010, 10:19 AM
If the glass is extremely dirty I'll use some soap and water then hose it off.

For normal cleaning I use Stoner Invisible Glass and a Cobra Microfiber glass cloth. This combination works remarkably well leaving no streaks or haze. I was a skeptic initial but after using it just once I am a true believer in these things! :props:

I'll give the IPA a try, I have enough of it around!

akimel
06-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Sprayway Glass Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/sprayway-glass.html) contains perfume grade alcohol. I presume that means it's better than the IPA we buy at the drug store, though heck if I know. :)

I recall reading about one recipe for homemade glass cleaner: 1/3 white vinegar, 1/3 distilled water, and 1/3 isopropyl rubbing alcohol. I've never tried it.

Irish
06-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Stoner's Invisible Glass. :xyxthumbs: