PDA

View Full Version : Overspray removal - Henrys foam

dunston
06-26-2010, 04:54 PM
I am trying to find out whats the best way to remove this type of overspray. Its from Henrys and I was told it is an A and B compound foam. I have used my regular clay bars, Meguiars M105 and it gets about 60% - 70% of it off. I just ordered some Meguiars aggressive clay to see if that can take it off.

I also contacted Henrys and they did not know what I could use to remove overspray off of a car. They suggested mineral spirits, but did not know how that would effect the finish on the car. I also tried some degreasers and bug and tar removal without any luck. I gotta figure out how to get this off because I have about 80 cars that need to get done. Thanks for all the help!

ScottB
06-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Maybe a more aggressive clay like Megs burgundy.

ASPHALT ROCKET
06-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Go over it with some solvent and that will loosen it up and then hit it with your wool and 105.

jsgntulok
06-26-2010, 11:07 PM
What is "Henrys foam?"

dunston
06-28-2010, 08:24 PM
I tried the Megs burgundy clay today and it seemed to work, but only got off about 75% of the overspray. This was about 3 hours of scrubbing. I also got a solvent that I will try with the 105 tomorrow. What color pad would you recommend?

dunston
06-28-2010, 08:25 PM
What is "Henrys foam?"

Henry foam is a roof insulation material. Its a two step process that is sprayed on.

C30-Mike
06-28-2010, 11:36 PM
You can also try a paint safe product like Surf City garage Bug and tar remover, Meguiars Bug and tar remover, and Body Solvent. Let it soak for a bit before removal.

Good luck.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
06-29-2010, 01:24 AM
Not sure if it would be strong enough, but Ive used roofing sealant before, Henry's and other types...and a guy who ive bought some from before (not of henrys but something exactly the same) said alcohol would work great as a clean up. Granted he said it would work good taking it off your HANDS...so i dont know if it would work on something like paint...but maybe soak it in 90% ISP and see if it helps break it down?

The type of roofing foam you're talking about...can it be rolled on as well? If so then it is the same stuff ive used before...and man that must be a rough job...any pics of it?

dunston
06-29-2010, 06:09 AM
I have tried the bug and tar removers, without any type of positive results. I also tried a body solvant without any luck. I even tried plastic razor blades. I dont have any pics, the stuff is a tan color when I can see it on the clay bar.

Mike Phillips
06-29-2010, 06:57 AM
I also contacted Henrys and they did not know what I could use to remove overspray off of a car.

Seems like they would know what would dissolve their own product? Something along these lines must have come up in their history, i.e. this stuff must have gotten onto something that it wasn't supposed to get on and they've had to find a way to get it off.

They suggested mineral spirits, but did not know how that would effect the finish on the car.

I've never seen Mineral Spirits cause any harm to a modern basecoat/clearcoat system but I don't think it work just off the cuff...

Maybe something from this company?

Contact Us (http://www.liftoffinc.com/contact.php)

http://www.liftoffinc.com/images/wizard.gif
Mötsenböcker Products (http://www.liftoffinc.com/products.php)

:)

craigr
06-29-2010, 08:27 AM
I've had trouble removing cured polyurethane foam in the past. My car wasn't involved but my skin was. I'm sure you know already but this stuff bonds better then most glues. I let some cure on my hands once and wore it off in 5 or 6 days.

If a contractor was applying this product and didn't take precautions they should be liable for these damages.

Here's a hard surface removal tip from DOW chemicals website for Great Stuff foam.

How do I get foam off the side of my house?
If the foam has not cured or hardened, use acetone or fingernail polish remover (with acetone). There is no solvent that will remove cured polyurethane foam. Remove as much as possible with a dull scraper or a hacksaw blade and then try scrubbing the remaining film with a non-abrasive cleaner. If that does not work, gradually move up to more aggressive means including sanding, sandblasting and repainting.
Warning: When using acetone on surfaces such as sidings, always test a hidden section of the surface to make sure that the acetone does not discolor the surface.

How do I get foam off of my hands?
If the foam has not cured or hardened, use acetone or fingernail polish remover (with acetone). If the foam has hardened, there is no solvent that will remove it. It will not harm your skin and will wear off in several days. To remove cured foam from skin, use a pumice stone (available at most drug stores) and warm, soapy water. Then apply petroleum jelly to soften your skin.

Good luck
Craig