PDA

View Full Version : My UDM is fixed up again

crash93ssei
06-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Picked up a UDM from here a few years ago from all the hype it received, of course, I then found out shortly after about all the problems everyone was having with theirs with brushes and switch issues.

I have used my UDM on 30 or so details as well as a couple boats including my dad's 32' Rinker twice, if I had to guess I would say that the machine has roughly 400 - 450 working hours on it.

At the beginning of last summer, I started to have a problem with excess vibration and noise, of course the warranty was up. The vibration was coming from the bearing assembly being loose that the backing plate attaches to. I removed the backing plate and the three screws that hold the counterweight assembly together and found a lot of play / slop between the bearings and shaft, but with nothing I could do, I just put it back together and continued to use it.

Early this spring, my dad had borrowed it to do his boat again and said that it would randomly quit, and I told him about the brush issues that they had. He pulled it apart, cleaned it, and we haven't had a problem since.... with the brushes.

A few days ago I was working on a headlight restoration and the whole backing plate and shaft pulled out of the counterweight about 1/4", so off I went to take it apart again to see what was up. What I found was that all of the slop and general use had allowed the C-clip and the slot it rides in on the shaft to wear, allowing the clip to slide up on the shaft... bad deal.

I took it to work as we have a full machine shop and had the shaft put on a lathe to refinish the snap ring groove, also had new bearings put on as well as a heavier duty clip.

I put it all back together this morning and will be testing it out later on this afternoon, it should be much better then before, I can't hardly move the backing plate now back and fourth, before I could move it at least 1/4"!

Sorry I didn't get any pics of the work, but if anyone wants some, it really isn't a big deal to get them.

Overall, I would say that I have been very happy with my UDM, and aside from a few minor setbacks, has never let me down. The brush issue to me is minor as they are easily replaceable and readily available at the local hardware store for dirt cheap. I have not had an issue at all with my switch either.

I still can't wait to get a Makita 9227C though :dblthumb2: