PDA

View Full Version : Bad combo

09GT500
06-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Ok - Bad combo - new guy to detail scene who has always just wand washed his old trucks - buys a 2009 Shelby GT500 Vert - Black, Black Leather, Black fabric top.

I never even knew there was EVEN such a thing as a Clay Bar for one's car - Clay is what we have for dirt here.

Do you have any idea of how many products and car care kits and detail tips and tricks and information is on Autogeek alone? Let alone Griots and Zaino and McQuires and DETAILTHIS.com (I made that up)

But I smile when I am getting 3rd gear scratch and the Mrs. eyes are plates and she's screaming "HOLY $%$# THIS IS FREAKING ME OUT BUT IT'S SOOOOO COOL!"

Looking forward to learning all about keeping this Black Beastie looking good!!

Mike Phillips
06-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Welcome to Autogeek Online!

:welcome:

cobalt9123
06-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Black is actually the perfect color for a car nut, because it's so rewarding. I purchased Summit White, but love detailing my old black car because it's so rewarding to have no swirls while you see $100,000 cars driving around covered in swirls :)

maximus20895
06-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Yea, be prepared to have a full time job keeping it clean. Black is so hard to keep clean!!!!

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
06-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Welcome to AGO love the gt500's

GK Auto Spa
06-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Welcome to the boards!!

5.4 Shelby
06-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Welcome. Nice choice in rides. Of course, I am a little biased.

DARK HORSE
06-25-2010, 11:27 PM
:welcome: and excellent choice both in ride and color :props:

Shane731
06-25-2010, 11:32 PM
:welcome: Hullo!

09GT500
06-25-2010, 11:37 PM
Hey thanks all. Yeah - the mrs drives a Black 4x4 SUV and had a black one before that. But it always went down the road to 'Mustang Carwash' for it's bath and 'scratch down'

Oh - but now... My kids are freaking out.

If anyone touches the 'Shelby', I get out the 'yellow towel' (microfiber - whatever that is...) squirt some kind of detailer stuff on it (Ultimate I think - courtesy of auto zone...) and polish it up - might end up doing the whole car...

Kinda freaks me out too - I'm not so much the anal type - but I love this car...

I like the White w/Vista Blue Stripes too 5.4 - A lot. I think they look fast

Thanks for the welcome folks!

5.4 Shelby
06-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Hey thanks all. Yeah - the mrs drives a Black 4x4 SUV and had a black one before that. But it always went down the road to 'Mustang Carwash' for it's bath and 'scratch down'

Oh - but now... My kids are freaking out.

If anyone touches the 'Shelby', I get out the 'yellow towel' (microfiber - whatever that is...) squirt some kind of detailer stuff on it (Ultimate I think - courtesy of auto zone...) and polish it up - might end up doing the whole car...

Kinda freaks me out too - I'm not so much the anal type - but I love this car...

I like the White w/Vista Blue Stripes too 5.4 - A lot. I think they look fast

Thanks for the welcome folks!
I use QD or waterless wash almost exclusively to keep mine clean. I only wash when really dirty or a lot of bugs. I would buy a good set of microfibers from AG or Griots and some good quality detailer. I use Griots Spray on Car Wash most of the time with their green MFs. Use plenty of the car wash, turn the towels frequently and change towels frrequently. I use almost no pressure wiping the dirty car. Almost just dragging the weight of the towel across the surface. Then a little more pressure to dry the residual Car Wash.

I had a hard time deciding color. The white had the edge. I also loved black as it looks sinister. The gray with black stripes looks sweet too. I went with the white since the first year Shelbys (1965) were all white/blue. I am happy with my choice.