PDA

View Full Version : LC Hydro Tech Pads. What Products Cannot Be Used With Them?

Rez90
06-25-2010, 11:35 AM
I have some of the poorboys SSR line, HD UNO, Menz SIP, 203, and 106, and Megs 105/205.

I have LC CCS pads as well as Hydro tech pads.

I typically use the CCS pads with the Menz products because they increase working time because of the DAT properties.

But regarding anything else.....what can't be used with a Hydro Tech Pad? They say they are for water based products...are any products not water based today?

Thanks.

Mike Phillips
06-25-2010, 12:58 PM
There was a thread about this topic recently, maybe someone remembers and can post the link?

Most body shop safe products are water-based because they want a technician to be able to wash the compounding and polishing residue off the car and out of the cracks and crevices if they so choose to do it that way.

Consumer type products, that is the type of products you might find in a retail auto parts store that don't specifically state they are Body Shop Safe, (and there's no reason for a consumer product to be formulated for a body shop if the target market is an enthusiast), then it might be hard to know.

The Hydro-Tech pads are closed-cell styles of foam, hold one to your lips and try to blow air through it and you'll find it to be difficult. For the same reason it's going to be hard or water to move through the closed cells so at least in part, the theory is the "liquid" products you apply to the pad will not seep into or inside of the pad, at least not as easily as they will a open cell foam pad. That's the benefit.

If you're using a product that's not "water-based", then unless it's a paste or a powder, then it's likely a liquid and I'm not sure that the cell wall structures of the foam can distinguish between water and non-water liquids, but that would be a better question for someone like Eric over at Lake Country Pads.

:)