PDA

View Full Version : Fire Hose Nozzle -- Broken?

Christopher
06-23-2010, 04:15 PM
I had just received a shipment in today from Autogeek, and in it was their Fire Hose Nozzle (http://www.autogeek.net/fire-hose-nozzle.html) that I ordered. Upon attaching it to my garden hose, I noticed that it did not work anywhere close to what the web page suggested. I had expected the spray ability to be "from a strong jet to a gentle fan spray," - as quoted from the products page. Instead, I only really get a VERY mild jet to just a drip. I will give the product the benefit of the doubt and say that it could be something on my end - as it seems like it is trying to do something, but just can't.

Could it be water pressure / flow? And if so, how could I increase water pressure? Let me be more specific -- I know how to increase the water pressure, but where can I find the regulator valve to do so?

ScottB
06-23-2010, 05:20 PM
water pressure will indeed help/holdback any nozzle. Also make sure to check the washer in unit and not blocking the hole where water goes.

Christopher
06-23-2010, 05:24 PM
water pressure will indeed help/holdback any nozzle. Also make sure to check the washer in unit and not blocking the hole where water goes.
The nozzle has full flow with no obstructions. I think it is water pressure. Do you know any places where the water pressure regulator might be located so I can adjust?

kronos
06-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Do you suspect your plumbing? The pipes tend to rust and clog over a long period of time, from the sidewalk onward toward the house. We recently replaced our pipes from the sidewalk to the water shut-off valve, which is also were the first spigot is located, and the water pressure increased substantially.

Christopher
06-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Do you suspect your plumbing? The pipes tend to rust and clog over a long period of time, from the sidewalk onward toward the house. We recently replaced our pipes from the sidewalk to the water shut-off valve, which is also were the first spigot is located, and the water pressure increased substantially.
The house is only 4 years old. I doubt it would be the pipes 'this early in the game.' Problem is, the house has had low pressure since I got it - so its not a recent issue. I have just been lazy on turning it up. I usually have gotten by by hooking up the pressure washer such that the incoming water pressure isn't an issue. However: I end up running the thing quite a bit some days and the neighbors are getting picky - so I have to use the regular hose. The standing pressure is at 20psi, which from my understanding is fairly low: I want to get it into the 40 psi range.

TLMitchell
06-23-2010, 06:03 PM
The standing pressure is at 20psi, which from my understanding is fairly low: I want to get it into the 40 psi range.

I run 40 - 50 psi and still find the Firehose nozzle unimpressive. It's versatile, great for sheeting... but for those times you need a serious blast under the wheel wells it just doesn't make the grade. YMMV.

TL

Old Tiger
06-23-2010, 06:04 PM
If you cant resolve the low pressure, I recommend a rinseless wash. I use ONR more than my hose and my pressure is fine. I love ONR!

Christopher
06-23-2010, 06:11 PM
If you cant resolve the low pressure, I recommend a rinseless wash. I use ONR more than my hose and my pressure is fine. I love ONR!
Haha! As useful as that may be, it would still be nice to have some decent pressure for the times I am not washing my car and still need to use the hose:laughing:

Old Tiger
06-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Haha! As useful as that may be, it would still be nice to have some decent pressure for the times I am not washing my car and still need to use the hose:laughing:
No doubt! Hope you can get it fixed!

BobbyG
06-23-2010, 06:58 PM
I run 40 - 50 psi and still find the Firehose nozzle unimpressive. It's versatile, great for sheeting... but for those times you need a serious blast under the wheel wells it just doesn't make the grade. YMMV.

TL

I agree completely!

I bumped my water pressure up turn on at 40 and off at 60. While it did help it doesn't seem to perform like advertised. I'm pushing out about 20gpm so it's not volume either. If I need a real blast i use another nozzle.

Dubbin1
06-23-2010, 07:05 PM
I have just been lazy on turning it up.

Most homes do not have a pressure regulator so unless the shut off valve isn't open all the way then there isn't anything you can do to "turn it up".

VISITOR
06-23-2010, 09:48 PM
i use quick disconnects on both the firehose nozzle (for rinsing and final sheeting) and a pistol grip (from the foam gun) for blasting off the initial dirt, and the wheels/wells, tires, etc, etc,