PDA

View Full Version : polishing in hot weather

molarman
06-23-2010, 04:09 PM
just finished using wg 3.0 swirl remover and finishing glaze with orange and white ccs 5.5 pads. it seemed like the polishes dried too quickly when doing the recommended passes. could it be due to the hot weater weve had here in dallas? i applied the amount of polish recommended and followed the principles of using the passes with a porter cable. any suggestions?

HighEndDetail
06-23-2010, 05:02 PM
I would say it is the weather. The hotter it is out, faster it would dry. Also if you are in the sun,way too fast.
Try spritzing the panel with a little water, and see if that helps. I have done that many a time. To bring back life in the polish/compound, to work it a little longer.

kronos
06-23-2010, 05:35 PM
I hope I don't sound foolish by stating the obvious but, are you working in the shade?

superd
06-23-2010, 05:44 PM
just finished using wg 3.0 swirl remover and finishing glaze with orange and white ccs 5.5 pads. it seemed like the polishes dried too quickly when doing the recommended passes. could it be due to the hot weater weve had here in dallas? i applied the amount of polish recommended and followed the principles of using the passes with a porter cable. any suggestions?

I just did the same steps to my car last week here in Kansas City and the weather was extremely hot and humid. I think it was around 95-100 with over 75% humidity the two days I did the TSR and FG with the same ccs 5.5 pads, and 2 coats of WG DGPS. I felt like the first two steps the polish dried very quickly as well. It was my first time using the PC 7424xp and I thought it was just me. I feel as if I still removed 95% of the fine scratches. And I did this in the garage, in the shade, and the garage door was closed. I'm glad to hear it wasn't just me being a newbie and the weather played a part.

All in all how were your results?
:buffing::dblthumb2:

molarman
06-23-2010, 08:26 PM
yes, i did the detail in the shade, and the results were satisfactory, but not great. it must be the weather, cant blame it on myself! thanks, ill try spraying some water after a couple of passes,maybe that will help, cause its already 90 degrees by midmorning here in dallas.

ryandamartini
06-24-2010, 08:56 AM
yes, i did the detail in the shade, and the results were satisfactory, but not great. it must be the weather, cant blame it on myself! thanks, ill try spraying some water after a couple of passes,maybe that will help, cause its already 90 degrees by midmorning here in dallas.

Even when in the shade, you will not optimal working conditions when its that hot / humid out. I dont like detailing in summer; I always feel like it's near impossible to keep up my quality. I try to get as much in my favor by keeping the car in the shade for a long time. Sometimes the KB method helps me out some.

jayhkr
06-26-2010, 05:13 PM
I just did the same steps to my car last week here in Kansas City and the weather was extremely hot and humid. I think it was around 95-100 with over 75% humidity the two days I did the TSR and FG with the same ccs 5.5 pads, and 2 coats of WG DGPS. I felt like the first two steps the polish dried very quickly as well. It was my first time using the PC 7424xp and I thought it was just me. I feel as if I still removed 95% of the fine scratches. And I did this in the garage, in the shade, and the garage door was closed. I'm glad to hear it wasn't just me being a newbie and the weather played a part.

All in all how were your results?
:buffing::dblthumb2:

Did the same thing, also here in KC. Not sure how I didn't end up with a heat stroke but I worked in the shade and had a nice damp towel over my neck. I was able to get similar results with M105 and LCHT Cyan pad. I'm going to remove the sealant and redo M205 IF it ever get a little cooler here so I can get better results. We need to get a few of us here in KC together for a get together to share tips and techniques sometime soon.

superd
06-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Did the same thing, also here in KC. Not sure how I didn't end up with a heat stroke but I worked in the shade and had a nice damp towel over my neck. I was able to get similar results with M105 and LCHT Cyan pad. I'm going to remove the sealant and redo M205 IF it ever get a little cooler here so I can get better results. We need to get a few of us here in KC together for a get together to share tips and techniques sometime soon.

Did your polish seem to dry out quick with our weather? Being my first time using the WG swirl remover combo it seemed like the working time was less than I thought it would be. Plus the car I was working on was white........that doesn't help matters. I had a hard time seeing the product on the paint. I had to use a halogen floor lamp and look at an angle to see anything. But I still enjoyed the challenge. Do you know if there many people from KC here on this thread?

:buffing:

jayhkr
06-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Did your polish seem to dry out quick with our weather? Being my first time using the WG swirl remover combo it seemed like the working time was less than I thought it would be. Plus the car I was working on was white........that doesn't help matters. I had a hard time seeing the product on the paint. I had to use a halogen floor lamp and look at an angle to see anything. But I still enjoyed the challenge. Do you know if there many people from KC here on this thread?

:buffing:

Yes, with M105 it was dusty within 2 passes. So needless to say that was a pain. With M205 I was able to get about 4-5 passes in. I'm so happy this week it will be 10* cooler. I just parked under a tree for about 30 minutes and have all these little spots all over on both horizontal and vertical surfaces. I can only imagine that it's tree sap. So I'll be having fun getting rid of that tomorrow. Then I plan on taking the wheels off and cleaning the inside part of my wheels along with the surface rust on my rotors and calipers. At least with the wheel part I can take it to my workshop inside if it gets a little to hot out! I think there are 3 or 4 of us on here, so that's why I thought it would be fun to get together sometime and share tips and tricks!

Mike Phillips
06-29-2010, 07:01 AM
A couple tips for working in hot weather...

Do your machine compounding and polishing early in the morning when it's the coolest

Shrink the size of your work area down

:)

Apokiliptik1
06-29-2010, 07:15 AM
A couple tips for working in hot weather...

Do your machine compounding and polishing early in the morning when it's the coolest

Shrink the size of your work area down

:)
:iagree:

VIP Reflections
06-29-2010, 08:10 AM
same thing was happening to me last week. i used some detailing spray and it worked like a charm. keeps the surface just wet enough. after i was done i looked at the area i started on and it did not look as good on the area i used the spray. so i did it over again :(

dunston
06-29-2010, 06:41 PM
I keep the work area down when its hot and notice a huge difference.