PDA

View Full Version : Damp Micro Fiber

Darren F
06-23-2010, 07:44 AM
Does anyone use a damp micro fiber when they use a QD? Any harm to do this? Any benefit?

ScottB
06-23-2010, 09:32 AM
sounds like it would just dilute the qd'er a bit. I often use a lightly damp MF towel with no chemical to wipe dash or doors as quickie.

Mike Phillips
06-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Dampening a cloth of with water or any kind of liquid would hinder it's ability to wick new liquid off a surface as compared to a cloth that was dry to start with.

I know some people will use a microfiber dampened with water to wipe down a freshly waxed car to remove streaks instead of using a spray detailer.

:)

Darren F
06-23-2010, 11:48 AM
the other morning i had some dew on the car and used the same micro fiber to wipe up the dew and to QD my car...was that not a good idea?

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
06-23-2010, 01:16 PM
the other morning i had some dew on the car and used the same micro fiber to wipe up the dew and to QD my car...was that not a good idea?

How clean was the car with dew on it?

Even with a decently clean car I use more than one microfiber to QD a car.

Darren F
06-23-2010, 01:20 PM
just from driving it the day before about 50 miles or so

32ValveRom
06-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Dampening a cloth of with water or any kind of liquid would hinder it's ability to wick new liquid off a surface as compared to a cloth that was dry to start with.

I know some people will use a microfiber dampened with water to wipe down a freshly waxed car to remove streaks instead of using a spray detailer.

Oh, so you have to use the spray detailer to get the wax off

Mike Phillips
06-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Oh, so you have to use the spray detailer to get the wax off

Streaks are usually an indicator of excess residual product on the surface.

My point is I know of people that will use,

A microfiber with a spray detailer
A microfiber dampened with water
Personal preference for each person to decide.

If I detect any streaks after I apply and remove a coating of wax or paint sealant, I try to use the slow wiping technique.

The Final Wipe – Tips for creating a streak-free, show car finish (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/19956-final-wipe.html)

:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
06-23-2010, 01:37 PM

If it worked for you then it's the right thing to do...

:xyxthumbs:

Darren F
06-23-2010, 02:05 PM
my question really is, is that a technique that would cause swirls or scratches? Is it something I can continue to do or not something i should get used to?

Mike Phillips
06-23-2010, 02:33 PM
my question really is, is that a technique that would cause swirls or scratches? Is it something I can continue to do or not something i should get used to?

The job of a spray detailer is to lubricate the surface and encapsulate dirt particles to make removing them off the surface of your car's paint safer than not using a spray detailer.

Whether using a microfiber dry for this or pre-wetting it with water will help or hinder I have not read any definitive results from any testing that's ever been done.

I know if you start with a microfiber that's dry and continue to use the same microfiber that it will become damp with the spray detailer which is the same net effect as dampening the microfiber beforehand.

The wetter a cloth is the less room it will have to wick and hold moisture which means you'll tend to leave moisture on the surface. So it's a good idea to use plenty of clean microfiber to wipe down a car.

I don't think that starting with a water dampened microfiber would cause more scratching or even less scratching than starting with a dry microfiber. Sorry, I've never put that much thought, energy or research into the topic.

I always start with a dry microfiber personally...

Here's an article I wrote where in it I recommend using clean dry microfibers. From my How-To Articles (http://tinyurl.com/y9gcarg) list...

Tips & Techniques for using a Spray Detailer to Remove Light Dust, Fingerprints and Smudges (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/23128-tips-techniques-using-spray-detailer-remove-light-dust-fingerprints-smudges.html)

(Lots of pictures)

Maybe someone else will chime in that has researched this topic?

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
06-23-2010, 02:45 PM

I personally wouldn't but like Mike said to each his own. In the same situation I would use Spray and Gloss, mist a panel than wipe away and keep refreshing my towel as needed. Lots of lubrication and mild cleaning abilities with the Spray and Gloss. It's kind of like drying the car down after a wash. If the car was clean and the dew was on it I would use a WW drying towel and Spray and Gloss just like I was drying after a wash :props:

-Chris

chost10
06-23-2010, 06:52 PM
If you gonna use water on your microcloth, use demin water. Especially on black(dark paints). Water from the tap (can) contain minirals like chalk. Perfect for diluting products.:xyxthumbs:

02blackout
06-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Never QD your car after you have freshly waxed it, as the wax already has its glossing agents in it so the QD would just cancel them out.

When removing wax- do a first wipe down with a normal MF, do a second wipe down with a lightly dampened with distilled water MF, then another to just wipe off anything else. Wiping down the with distilled water MF will remove streaks or anything else.

lyzing
06-24-2010, 07:22 AM
It's always useful having a couple gallons of distilled water on hand, and/or some isopropyl alcohol (percentage doesn't really matter) for these purposes.

As far as STARTING with a damp towel, I feel it really doesn't matter, but sometimes to remove stubborn residue I will need to use a cloth dampened with distilled water or isopropyl.