PDA

View Full Version : paddle shifting - how???

ltoman
11-06-2006, 09:36 PM
ok guys - my vette is an automatic w paddle shifting, except i am clueless and afraid to use it. anyone want to explain it? please? i tried a manual once, but i kept on going backwards....:confused: Feed back please ;)

White95DodgeRam
11-06-2006, 09:48 PM
paddle shifting = posi shift where it has an option to the side of drive for + - correct ? if so you can put it in that option and shift manually, the plus side is if the computer reads thats the rpm are in a dangerous high for to long of a time it will automatically shift into the next gear...ive had my fun using posi-shift in a new daytona charger (test drive ) and a bud's g6

ltoman
11-06-2006, 09:50 PM
:confused: do i just leave the car in drive or do i have to do something special? thank you, Lauren

White95DodgeRam
11-06-2006, 09:54 PM
if it is in the floor shifter all you do is drop it into drive then move it over to the right and when you want to upshift push it forward and downshift is back its pretty simple and fun as compaired to droping the shifter all the way down to 1st gear :)

JSR
11-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Not sure exactly how the Vette system works but the principal is the same.The paddles are just a way of shifting gears without taking your hands off the wheel OR moving your shifter to far in one direction or the other.Once your are in drive there will be a spot to move the shifter to sequential mode. From that point on the paddles control which gear you are in.Upshift is usually one click on the right paddle, downshift is one click on the left. TRAIN YOUR HANDS, the wrong click can be bad but very very fast.The paddles come out of racing cars, make the shifts very fast and sequential (you cannot shift from first to third, or worse from fourth to first. They go one gear up or down at a time, sequentially, in very fast shifts. Fortunately, or not, the automakers have built in a sense of self-preservation into most cars with this and they will not shift if the revs do not match. Six thousand RPM in fourth will not downshift into third causing bad things to happen when the engine goes to nine thousand RPM, briefly. Learn where the match points are, up and down, and you will have a very fun car to drive indeed. See your dealer or manual for details and there is probably a gear indicator on your dash so you know which gears your in. Start in first.JSR

Kelso
11-06-2006, 10:36 PM
just take it out and play with the paddles a bit, on most systems it wont let you downshift until your low enough in the revs so you cant over rev the motor. dont be afraid, be thrilled! paddle shifters are fun. ive driven my friends new VW DSG system and its amazing, and also the BMW SMG system is cool. i would prefer using the paddles than using the auto function

teeks
11-07-2006, 11:16 AM
i just test drove a 2007 audi a3 sline, with the dsg transmission. (very nice car might i add) in the audi before using the paddle shifters, you had to move the gear selector over to the right to designate manual shifting. after that it drives just like an automatic does, only you select the gears with the paddles. but i agree with kelso the DSG is sick. shifts so fast it feels instantanious

ltoman
11-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks everyone!! I will try er out later today!:)