PDA

View Full Version : Foam vs Microfiber Applicator

Christopher
06-22-2010, 02:36 PM
I have always been a user of liquid wax, but I wanted to try something else. So I picked up a tub of Meguiars GC Carnauba wax. I got it seeing as it seems to be a poor mans Souveran for those who don't mind waxing every few weeks - which I don't.

Now getting to the point: The wax came with one of those yellow foam applicators, and I am wondering what the best one to use would be: The foam applicator, or my current micro fiber applicators. If there is no best one to use, what are the pros and cons of each?

dublifecrisis
06-22-2010, 02:54 PM
I don't use MF applicators on paint anymore. Last time I did, it caused swirls. I was using DG105 on a freshly washed and clayed black car. The marring it left was most certainly caused by the MF applicator (granted it was a cheapo). They work well though for applying a leather conditioner and tire shine. I actually like the foam applicators that Meguiar's includes. The purple one that comes with NXT is my favorite maybe it's the same?

Mike Phillips
06-22-2010, 02:56 PM
As long as both the foam and microfiber applicator pads are clean and of high quality, then both are safe to use and of course use good technique anytime applying any type of paint care product to paint.

I always inspect the working surface of my pads when applying anything just to make sure I don't pick up any kind of contaminant as I'm working over the car, it's an easy habit to start and could prevent you from instilling swirls and scratches accidentally.

Just to note, we sell the Meguiar's Gold Class liquid version (http://www.autogeek.net/mg7016.html) of the paste wax on Autogeek.net ourselves, so while I'm confident you meant no harm by posting to a competing store it is against forum rules and good Netiquette...

Sometimes I will post my articles that include Meguiar's product to the MOL forum but when I do I remove ALL the links that go to the Autogeek store in order to comply with the MOL forum rules, (which I wrote), and as my duty to conduct myself in a professional manner on another company's discussion forum.

Just look at any article I've written here and posted over there and you'll see the links on the MOL forum have been removed.

:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
06-22-2010, 03:05 PM
They work well though for applying a leather conditioner and tire shine.

We just made a video showing how to use a microfiber applicator to apply leather cleaners, condtioners as well as rubber and vinyl products.

The nap of a microfiber applicator pad can provide some gentle scrubbing action that won't scratch leather or vinyl surfaces.

I actually like the foam applicators that Meguiar's includes. The purple one that comes with NXT is my favorite maybe it's the same?

FWIW
My personal preference for applying any kind of finishing wax or sealant is a light colored applicator so you can easily see if there is any kind of contaminant on the face of the applicator pad. The dark purple matches the NXT theme colors but it's difficult to see if there's any abrasive particles on the face of the pad.

In fact, in this video I discuss the practice of turning your applicator pad over often and visually inspecting to to make sure you don't accidetly pick up any kind of abrasive particle during the application process.

Don't know if it's in Part 1 or Part 2, but it's in there...

How to apply a Carnauba Wax by Hand using the Straightline Technique

Part 1

- How to apply Carnauba Wax - Pt. 1

Part 1

- How to apply Carnauba Wax - Pt. 2

:)

Christopher
06-22-2010, 03:17 PM
As long as both the foam and microfiber applicator pads are clean and of high quality, then both are safe to use and of course use good technique anytime applying any type of paint care product to paint.

I always inspect the working surface of my pads when applying anything just to make sure I don't pick up any kind of contaminant as I'm working over the car, it's an easy habit to start and could prevent you from instilling swirls and scratches accidentally.

Just to note, we sell the Meguiar's Gold Class liquid version (http://www.autogeek.net/mg7016.html) of the paste wax on Autogeek.net ourselves, so while I'm confident you meant no harm by posting to a competing store it is against forum rules and good Netiquette...

Sometimes I will post my articles that include Meguiar's product to the MOL forum but when I do I remove ALL the links that go to the Autogeek store in order to comply with the MOL forum rules, (which I wrote), and as my duty to conduct myself in a professional manner on another company's discussion forum.

Just look at any article I've written here and posted over there and you'll see the links on the MOL forum have been removed.

:xyxthumbs:
*facepalm
Sorry - my bad. Is there a way that I can edit the post in order to comply with the rules? I noticed that there is no edit option.

Mike Phillips
06-22-2010, 03:35 PM
*facepalm
Sorry - my bad. Is there a way that I can edit the post in order to comply with the rules? I noticed that there is no edit option.

We're a kind and gentle forum... no problems...

Also, sometimes when I post, actually almost all the time I post I try to post to a very wide audience, that would include members that also might not know little things like linking to competing sites.

We're a big company and we don't fear competition, (plus we have the Price Matching feature), so this was just a note about normal forum netiquette on this forum and actually most all forums.

For example if Meguiar's Direct had their own forum they probably wouldn't ask me to post to it with links to our store... (they might? but probably not) :laughing:

Discussion Forums are cool tools and over the years I've introduced hundreds and probably thousands of the older generation that didn't grow up on the Internet to discussion forums by requiring car club members to,

Join the forum
Reply to a sign-up thread

Like this one,

Saturday "Open Garage" - June 26th (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/sign-up-saturday-detailing-101/26403-saturday-open-garage-june-26th.html)

Fact is a lot of car club members for traditional clubs are older and over the phone I've walked them through,

Registering
Checking their e-mail to click on the "Confirmation Link"
Returning to the forum to "Log-in"
Locating a "Sign-up" thread for the class they want to attend
Locating the "Reply" button
Typing a simple message in the message box like, "add my name to the list"

And then usually talking to them about their car. And all that just to in part introduce them to a "resource" that can and will help them reach their car care goals. Not just to sign up for a class, but a community they can return to over and over again anytime they have a question or need help.

So I know what it's like to be new to forums and I know what it's like to help others that our new to discussion forums and my job here is always to help... not play rule enforcer....

I'll have a Moderator remove the link...

:dblthumb2::dblthumb2:

Christopher
06-22-2010, 03:43 PM
We're a kind and gentle forum... no problems...

Also, sometimes when I post, actually almost all the time I post I try to post to a very wide audience, that would include members that also might not know little things like linking to competing sites.

We're a big company and we don't fear competition, (plus we have the Price Matching feature), so this was just a note about normal forum netiquette on this forum and actually most all forums.

For example if Meguiar's Direct had their own forum they probably wouldn't ask me to post to it with links to our store... (they might? but probably not) :laughing:

Discussion Forums are cool tools and over the years I've introduced hundreds and probably thousands of the older generation that didn't grow up on the Internet to discussion forums by requiring car club members to,

Join the forum
Reply to a sign-up thread

Like this one,

Saturday "Open Garage" - June 26th (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/sign-up-saturday-detailing-101/26403-saturday-open-garage-june-26th.html)

Fact is a lot of car club members for traditional clubs are older and over the phone I've walked them through,

Registering
Checking their e-mail to click on the "Confirmation Link"
Returning to the forum to "Log-in"
Locating a "Sign-up" thread for the class they want to attend
Locating the "Reply" button
Typing a simple message in the message box like, "add my name to the list"

And then usually talking to them about their car. And all that just to in part introduce them to a "resource" that can and will help them reach their car care goals. Not just to sign up for a class, but a community they can return to over and over again anytime they have a question or need help.

So I know what it's like to be new to forums and I know what it's like to help others that our new to discussion forums and my job here is always to help... not play rule enforcer....

I'll have a Moderator remove the link...

:dblthumb2::dblthumb2:

Mike, thanks for all in info; and you DEFINITELY do your job VERY well

ScottB
06-22-2010, 05:56 PM
I prefer the foam applicators for most sealants and waxes, but I have noted a difference using the MF versions with the newer WOWA spray sealants like Optimum, Zaino, and Ultima. It seems to control them a bit which reduces streaking.

CEE DOG
06-22-2010, 06:23 PM
I prefer the foam applicators for most sealants and waxes, but I have noted a difference using the MF versions with the newer WOWA spray sealants like Optimum, Zaino, and Ultima. It seems to control them a bit which reduces streaking.

:iagree: Most definetly

btw: 14000'th post Scott!

Bunky
06-22-2010, 06:34 PM
I like foam too or better yet a 4-in white cyclo pad with a polishing pal.