PDA

View Full Version : LC Pads deforming

Rydis
06-21-2010, 05:14 PM
What is causing my LC pads to be deformed. They are kept in the garage in a container, much like my paste wax. Its about 75-80º constantly. However, I was preparing to do a car thursday and was getting things ready. When I pulled the pads out, half of them are completely deformed.

Some are squished to almost 1/8 in think, while others are pressed inwards. Looks like someone just smashed them in their hand like crumbled paper. Nothing in the case could of did this either..just the 6 pads.

Luckily im in florida so I can order more and have them by wed. However, I dont want a repeat of whats happening. Any ideas?

Jumpingbean
06-21-2010, 05:18 PM
How's your wife? Happy? Is she sneaking out there when you're not looking? Hahaha I'm kidding of course... But I'm just sayin.....

Rydis
06-21-2010, 05:25 PM
single lol :/..and only got 6 so no complaining there haha

Mike Phillips
06-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Curious....

I've been buffing and then storing pads in just about every way imaginable and never had any problems like you described.

Picture of pads and where and how they are stored?

:)

Rydis
06-21-2010, 06:08 PM
I dont own a camera so I can't really provide pictures. Just describe. Like I said they look like they been squeezed and squished on parts of them and looking closer I can see indents of the pad that was next to it.

They have only be used/cleaned once with XMT cleaner and a soft toothbrush. Then stored a tuberware type been in the garage.

RTexasF
06-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Were they stored wet or 100% dry? Stored even slightly damp & sealed in Tupperware can cause some oddly convoluted pads. This time of year my garage hovers between 105º and 112º so drying pads is not a problem but putting them away damp or wet is........alien shapes!

bogi094
06-21-2010, 08:39 PM
I dont own a camera so I can't really provide pictures. Just describe. Like I said they look like they been squeezed and squished on parts of them and looking closer I can see indents of the pad that was next to it.

They have only be used/cleaned once with XMT cleaner and a soft toothbrush. Then stored a tuberware type been in the garage.

Aww, come on, don't own a camera? Cellphone? Laptop? Video Cam? Borrow someones?
Your not going to get anyones correct input if we dont see exactly what your talking about.

CEE DOG
06-21-2010, 08:44 PM
:Picture:Please

Even my 6 year old nephew has a camera! Somebody must have one near you. Borrow your neighbors :)

Rydis
06-21-2010, 08:44 PM
yeah, my phone is about 8 years old. No webcam and im not a photographer so I dont have a camera. Parents have one but their a while drive so can't atm. No, they weren't put away wet, only wetness they even got was xmt cleaner and a little from the brush. Dried for a day and set in storage.

Kurt_s
06-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Rydis,
Did you by any chance get these pads really warm while correcting your paint?

I have a really funky looking 4" white flat pad that I think was deformed by a very warm PCXP after using the DA to correct the hood of a car with an orange pad.

Rydis
06-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Im not sure, I guess thats possible.

Kurt_s
06-21-2010, 10:22 PM
I have a couple of Compressor pads coming to try. They are supposed to offset heat a little better than my CCS or your LC pads. When I went to speed 6 to correct with my PCXP, I really noticed that the DA got hot quickly. Matt suggested that he rotates fresh pads more frequently to manage paint and heat build up. Probably something for many of us to learn?

Since I am learning as a hobbiest, I'm thinking that a more aggressive pad or compound to cut instead of speed might protect the pad and speed correction. I guess time will tell.

I have M105 coming and Ultimate Compound did a great job in removing water spots that wouldn't go away with other products on an Audi A4.

I am also thinking more and more about a pad cleaning system to clean the pad more frequently. $140 seems expensive to me for the work that I do, but if you are doing a lot of cars it might extend the life of your pads. The last sale price was $109 so getting into a price range that might make sense for a car lover like me.

Rydis
06-22-2010, 05:36 AM
ah, yeah these were LC CCS Pads also. Guess ill just buy 12 instead of 6 then...I dont do it that often though.

CEE DOG
06-22-2010, 07:30 AM
only wetness they even got was xmt cleaner and a little from the brush. Dried for a day and set in storage.

Does this mean you didn't rinse the XMT cleaner off them? It sounds like you didn't wash them the way you worded it here?

Rydis
06-22-2010, 08:54 AM
I didn't soak them in water, but I was rinsing the brush with water as I cleaned, which got the pad pretty damp. When I folded the pads to get the stuff out of them, the cleaner was gone (no suds or anything), just the excess water (took a while this way because wasn't sure if just soaking them in water was ok).