PDA

View Full Version : Recomendations for cleaning a "musty" interior

A4 1.8tqm
06-21-2010, 03:23 PM
So my dad suggested to a friend of his that I do some work on his old Jag. I was hoping he wanted paint correction done but I just found out that he wants some interior cleaning done. The car has been sitting under a carport for a long while and he said the interior is so musty smelling that his clothes smell after driving. When I asked about visible stains, he didn't seem to care, he just wants the smell to be lessened.

I have not really done much as far as serious interior restoration (too obsessed with paint correction), I'm going to give him a "Mike Phillips http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/22275-cruel-test-spot-reverse-bait-switch.html, but I know how to do that stuff, back to the issue at hand.

Carpet cleaning and odor removal... I talked with the car owner, Bob, and he said he has $200 and just want's me to do whatever I can. He is on the way to drop off the car for me to have for about 8 hours. What are some products I could buy locally to help with this process? I'm going to go buy a Bissel Autocare Proheat to aid in the process, is that my best ~$100 option? This will surely be a good learning experience for me, I'm just looking for some quick tips.

TIA :cheers:

Dave

ScottB
06-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Duragloss Odor Absorber and Einszett Climate Cleaner are two cheap and effective tools. Obviously any mold or mildew should be removed from interior as can smell and get you sick. Does car have an interior cabin filter ?? Was it ever changed ???

Obviously your not looking to spend extractor money and want to make some $$ with time invested, so a home carpet cleaner machine should be better than nothing. Sometimes having the owner invest in a new set of mats can help too.

Oh .... remember those Dakota foggers too as desired.

A4 1.8tqm
06-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Duragloss Odor Absorber and Einszett Climate Cleaner are two cheap and effective tools. Obviously any mold or mildew should be removed from interior as can smell and get you sick. Does car have an interior cabin filter ?? Was it ever changed ???

Obviously your not looking to spend extractor money and want to make some $$ with time invested, so a home carpet cleaner machine should be better than nothing. Sometimes having the owner invest in a new set of mats can help too.

Oh .... remember those Dakota foggers too as desired.

Thanks for the reply killr, are the Duragloss, Einszett and Dakota available OTC? I do have one Wurth A/C & Heating System Treatment 6 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/wuachesytr6o.html), and an old unused fogger can of Knock-out odor remover. I'll check for the cabin filter, I'm sure it will be old and dirty. I figure that since I've been wanting the Bissel, this is a great opportunity to get one and still make $100.

Showroom Shine
06-21-2010, 03:52 PM
I was wondering what a good steam cleaning with say some DP or DWG with Ion sprayed lightly on interior,then steam it!

Grizzly
06-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Clean everything with APC and spray some Meguiars Odor Elimiantor everywhere multiple times.

kimandbrad21
06-21-2010, 05:39 PM
the one thing i am sure that you know is not to mask it. i cannot name it but at wally world some times they have an emzyme based oder remover for pets. maybe something to look into. also as stated above.... APC everything. with the mats do not pressure wash them as this can cause damage and you will start to lose fibers. do the seats first.... thats where he will be sitting so make sure they are dry. before wetting the carpet, if you have a shop vac you can put down baking soda sprinkle it on, let it sit for about 15 mins they suck it up... it helps remove the smell. at some local auto stores ive started seeing the megs oder remover... maybe another thing to look into. good luck hope something ive said helps

WRAPT C5Z06
06-21-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm going to go buy a Bissel Autocare Proheat to aid in the process, is that my best ~$100 option?
I have it and love it! The solution that comes with it isn't very effective, though. Pick up some Folex from the grocery store. Pre-treat with straight folex and a scrub brush. Then dilute it 4:1 in the mixing tank, and extract. Go over the carpet with a strong shop vac if you have one. :dblthumb2:

ryandamartini
06-21-2010, 08:34 PM
Amazon.com: Wagner 905 1,500-Watt On-Demand Power Steamer and Cleaner: Home & Garden (http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-500-Watt-Demand-Steamer-Cleaner/dp/B000I618NY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1277170329&sr=1-3)

?

Kurt_s
06-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Hey Dave,
Sounds like you have a good idea about cleaning the interior and using some type of odor removal. I don't have a jag but learned something new recently.

I was having an occcasional musty smell in my bimmer. I finally cleaned out the drain tubes in the microfilter holder and the smell went away. Basic old leaves, dirt, dried bugs and pine needles. 5 minutes and gone.

Good luck!