PDA

View Full Version : couple questions on clay barring

Pages : [1] 2

Whitethunder46
11-06-2006, 06:08 PM
For most cars that are on the road, what's a good clay bar to use? Would meguiar's work fine and is there really a large difference with the Pinnacle's Ultra Clay?

Also, do you really need to use clay lube? I've read many use clay bar when simply washing the car with soap and water. Seems like a very efficient way to do this.

Also, is there a certain speed or stroke pattern you should do? I pretty much just rub it back and forth over an area untl I feel its done its job. Is this correct?

BILL
11-06-2006, 06:29 PM
For most cars that are on the road, what's a good clay bar to use? Would meguiar's work fine and is there really a large difference with the Pinnacle's Ultra Clay?

I use the pinn clay bar..........the ultra is for more frequent uses

since i only clay every six months.......the reg is good for me

Also, do you really need to use clay lube? I've read many use clay bar when simply washing the car with soap and water. Seems like a very efficient way to do this.

i use the lube........but you can use soap and water, the main thing is to keep it wet ans slippery

Also, is there a certain speed or stroke pattern you should do? I pretty much just rub it back and forth over an area untl I feel its done its job. Is this correct?

sounds good to me........i concentrate on a 2x2 foot section at a time.....

good luck....:)

ryandamartini
11-06-2006, 06:41 PM

The Pinnacle Clay kit is nice. Good clay, lube, and a nice microfiber to buff it off!

abrcrombe
11-06-2006, 06:50 PM
The Ultra clay is super fine and should be used on cars that are new or near new. The milder the clay, the more harsh it is and should only be used on cars that need it (i.e. 5+ y.o. cars that have never been clayed, sit outside all day)

ScottB
11-06-2006, 06:58 PM
I love the Wolfgang and Pinnacle Clay offerings. As said before lots of lube. Allow the clay to speak to you (it studders in areas needing attention) there is no need to grind it into the paint. I would use the included clay lube (or purchase the DP Clay Lube seperately) as some soap/water combo's do not play well and can destroy a clay bar.

Whitethunder46
11-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Well when I did mine tonight I pretty much did one full panel at a time. It was only about 45-50 degrees out so lubrication drying wasn't an issue at all. I was just thinking how easy it would be to do while washing a car.

Anyone know of a clay bar that works well and fine with soap and water, preferrably Megs NXT soap? Wouldn't need to be ultra clay, just a regular clay bar.

O yes, how do you know when you need a new clay bar? And is there a way to clean it???

supercharged
11-06-2006, 11:52 PM
once clay bar is contaminated- toss it away. Trying to clean it will only put swirls in your paint, later causing you to repolish.

Proper clay must be used (no soap and water mix, otherwise you will end up throwing that clay away) with a clay bar. If yo uare on a tight budget - get DP 4-in-1. You can make 32 16-oz bottles of clay lube out of it. It's cheap and will not dry your clay out.

MikeyC
11-06-2006, 11:57 PM
O yes, how do you know when you need a new clay bar? And is there a way to clean it???

The only thing I've ever heard of for cleaning clay is Blackfire Clay Cleaner. I bought some once, but I almost never bother with it. It's actually quite effective, but it's a PITA to stop all the time to clean the clay.

P1et
11-07-2006, 12:35 AM
I like the Pinnacle Ultra Poly clay. It holds up great, even when using Megs/Water combo for lube. I cannot say the same for the Zaino Z18 which falls apart and angers me to no end...

BlueRacer
11-14-2006, 10:18 PM
The last time I used the yellow Pinnacle clay (month ago) it stuck to my hands right out of the package.:mad: I bought a kit (2 bars, the lube and a couple cobra towels) and the first bar did not have that issue. I posted here and did not get a definative reason as to why. I bought the Clay Magic blue clay locally to replace. I will say I did like the way it (yellow Pinnacle) cleaned the paint.

ltoman
11-14-2006, 10:57 PM
I used the Pinnacle (lt blue) clay and it was a bit sticky, but it held up and did a fine job and I can use it again. I bought the kit and followed the directions. I have not opened the second bar yet. I just assumed the clay was supposed to be somewhat sticky ....?

Whitethunder46
11-15-2006, 12:05 AM
The only bar I've ever used was Clay Magic's from my local store. Worked like I've read clay bars should work, but I have nothing to compare it too.

ScottB
11-15-2006, 07:12 AM
claybars are slightly tacky and if left in the sun can get quite sticky. The lube is the most beneficial part as allows the clay to slide across the finish and grab as only needed. Clay is manufactured by only two sources and well patented. Some will be slightly more or less abrasive, and of course color could be different.

Totoland Mach
11-15-2006, 08:23 AM
I've used clay with both soapy water and clay lube. In some cases, the soapy water + clay just didn't do the job. I switched to clay lube and it worked fine (and I used Meguiar's and Pinnacle products).

Here's an example: This Mustang was covered by cedar deck/fence sealant overspray and was a "bear" to remove on the car. It took 2 complete bars of clay to get it all off.

Windshield shot before
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/WilsonMustang_DeckSprayWindshield1.jpg

Windshield shot after soapy water + clay
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/WilsonMustang_DeckSprayWindshield_AfterWashClay.jp g

As you can see, there is still some deck sealant remaining. After changing to clay lube, I got it all off.

Toto

ltoman
11-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Wow. I try to always watch out and quick go move the car. Nice work!!
How do you like that Meg's Quick Detailer you have on the hood? (I always see posts about Meguiar's stuff, and have used some myself in the past, but what gets me is people here seem to like it so much yet it is not expensive or hard to obtain, you know, like the other elite brands mentioned here. That is how I ended up here.) Any thoughts? - Lauren