PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Please Explain The Point of a Glaze?

Rez90
06-21-2010, 12:07 PM
I understand washing
Claying
Polishing
Sealing
And Waxing

I fee like the amount of work just steadily increases with more and more product.

Can someone please explain to me the purpose, idea, reason, and place for all these Glazes?

Thanks.

elk42
06-21-2010, 12:10 PM
I understand washing
Claying
Polishing
Sealing
And Waxing

I fee like the amount of work just steadily increases with more and more product.

Can someone please explain to me the purpose, idea, reason, and place for all these Glazes?

Thanks.Glazes do their best to hide imperfections polishing cannot get out. Some of the deeper scratches especially from older cars show their eye sores so glazes have an ability to hide. I'd look at the Poorboys product line regarding glazes and understand that its only temporary. Good luck

Mike Phillips
06-21-2010, 12:11 PM
The point would depend upon who you are and what you're trying to do.

If you're a painter then you would use a glaze to make the paint look great because technically you're not suppose to seal paint for at least 30 days but you want to do something to it to make it look good before your customer comes to pick up their car.

If you're talking about products with the name glaze that are not hand applied glazes in the sense of where the term came from and that the "Refinishing Industry", then there's all kinds of products ranging from a machine applied polish to paint sealant.

Here's the Good News!

You can use a discussion forum to ask a specific question about a specific glaze for the process that you want to use and someone on this forum will be happy to help steer you in the right direction.

:)

Mike Phillips
06-21-2010, 12:16 PM
You're on the right track,

Wash
Clay
Remove defects
Polish to a high gloss
Seal

Washing and claying are givens for most cars for most people so that's not really any extra steps.

Next you need 1, 2 or 3 products depending upon how much of a perfectionist you want to be to remove the defects and polish to a high gloss.

After that you will seal the paint with either a wax, synthetic paint sealant or a hybrid which is a blend of both natural and synthetic protection ingredients.

Keep it simple.

A lot of people that hang out on a forum like this will want at least 2 products for the correction and polishing step but some car paints polish out really well with just a single product and then you can go straight to wax.

So what you need kind of depends upon what you want and what you're working on.

Mike Phillips
06-21-2010, 12:17 PM
What are you working on?
What are your car care goals?
How are you doing your work? By hand or machine and if by machine which type?

Rez90
06-21-2010, 12:22 PM
What are you working on?
What are your car care goals?
How are you doing your work? By hand or machine and if by machine which type?

I work on various cars as i detail part time.

I have plenty of polishes including Menz 203, SIP, 106, Poorboys SSR1 and 2.5, Megs 105/205...etc. I have a flex and a PC i use. Flex 80% of the time. PC for small areas i can't hit with the flex...

I've just been reading a lot lately about how many people have glazes in their detail arsenal and i am just curious if they are really neccessary for those looking for great results.

I feel like i get outstanding results with what i use already...but like any perfectionist i'm always looking to improve....

Thanks.

Mike Phillips
06-21-2010, 12:39 PM
I've just been reading a lot lately about how many people have glazes in their detail arsenal and i am just curious if they are really necessary for those looking for great results.

It depends on what's inside the glaze?

Some glazes are abrasive polishes
Some glazes are non-abrasives glazes
Some glazes are waxes or paint sealants

This is because there is no Government Agency with the responsibility of overseeing words and terms used in the car wax industry. As soon as some bureaucrat finds a way to tax wax they will probably create the position.

The word glaze is used for all kinds of products, the original use of the term came for the refinishing industry, once car waxes were introduced probably in the early 1920's then it was used for "things" that seal the paint.

I feel like i get outstanding results with what i use already...but like any perfectionist i'm always looking to improve....

Thanks.

Nothing wrong with that...

When you find a specific product you're curios about, read about it to try to figure out what it does, don't just go by the words on the label and then start a thread about it for other's opinion and experience.