PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Lexus ES 300

GK Auto Spa
06-20-2010, 07:23 PM
I had a guy come to me & ask me what i would charge him to clean his car thouroughly inside/out.

Condition:
had scuff marks on the tan interior at foot level.(i suspect he had kids)

paint didn't have visible scratches,but the paint was no where near smooth

My solution was to give him a good inside/out detail with a clay/wax
price i would charge $60.00 to $80.00

This is what he wanted for $25.(pictured below) he thought because its a 2008 it shouldn't be that much
What u guys think or would have charged him?

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m63/gksport/2008lexuses350500.jpg

D0ughB0y
06-20-2010, 07:33 PM
For 25 bucks, I wouldn't get out of bed. That being said, this is a hobby for me not a business.

As a business... I'd point out swirl marks, RIDS, and any other imperfections. I would explain to him the steps required to make his car look as good as the picture. While giving the steps, I'd explain to him the time required to perform each step. At the end, I'd provide a number (in hours) and multiply by 40-50 to provide the cost.

"because it is a 2008" is meaningless and you need to do the above to point out to him the condition of the car. There are 2011's sitting at the dealership that will require a full day to fix.

fancyfootwork
06-20-2010, 07:37 PM
For 25 bucks, I wouldn't get out of bed. That being said, this is a hobby for me not a business.

As a business... I'd point out swirl marks, RIDS, and any other imperfections. I would explain to him the steps required to make his car look as good as the picture. While giving the steps, I'd explain to him the time required to perform each step. At the end, I'd provide a number (in hours) and multiply by 40-50 to provide the cost.

"because it is a 2008" is meaningless and you need to do the above to point out to him the condition of the car. There are 2011's sitting at the dealership that will require a full day to fix.
:iagree:

$25 to wash/clay and clean the inside? If he wants to spend $25 tell him to go to the local BP gas station and get the "ultimate" package and hand vacuum his car. I'm sure their hurting for money!

GK Auto Spa
06-20-2010, 07:55 PM
:iagree:

$25 to wash/clay and clean the inside? If he wants to spend $25 tell him to go to the local BP gas station and get the "ultimate" package and hand vacuum his car. I'm sure their hurting for money!

:laughing::laughing:, i kept telling him feel the paint,he was like its a 2008 i don't need to. I jus shook my head in disbelief.

fancyfootwork
06-20-2010, 08:03 PM
:laughing::laughing:, i kept telling him feel the paint,he was like its a 2008 i don't need to. I jus shook my head in disbelief.

Haha, that's about all you can do is shake your head in disbelief. This only means 1 of 2 things, A.) He's a rich guy who can just buy a new car, or B.) He's not knowledgeable on car care.

I would just try to explain to the best of your abilities what will happen if he doesn't maintain his car and what will happen if he does maintain it. Night and day. Show pictures and highly emphasize that it's not just the appearance of a car but the protection is vital.

RTexasF
06-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Personally I wouldn't have considered it for less than $150 and that's without seeing the car in person. For $25 he needs to hire his neighbor's kid to wash it. He's out of touch with reality, good that you let that one go.

GK Auto Spa
06-20-2010, 08:57 PM
Personally I wouldn't have considered it for less than $150 and that's without seeing the car in person. For $25 he needs to hire his neighbor's kid to wash it. He's out of touch with reality, good that you let that one go.

yeah,this guy was actually my landlord(el cheapo/el knowitall). i was acutally trynah work with him. this area is full of them,but i have to be FIRM!

D0ughB0y
06-20-2010, 08:59 PM

I'm sure this wouldn't help word-of-mouth for your business, but as I said I'm not in the business of detailing cars.

My reaction to him saying "it is a 2008, I don't need to" would have been something like...

*rub hand against car* "Wow, not that you told the year of the car the particles imbedded into the clear coat have magically disappeared. Your paint doesn't feel like 5 o'clock shadow... it is smooth as a baby's bottom."

I'm sure I would have got some reply from an angry guy.

I would have a final response "I tried to reason with you and you refused. I tried to display the required effort and you've refused. Your expectations are WAY out of line with reality and you're a cheap f.... now beat it, stupid."

Adding now that I see it is your landlord:

I HIGHLY ADVISE THAT YOU DO NOT USE THIS APPROACH!

GK Auto Spa
06-20-2010, 09:17 PM
They just needs some EVIDENCE to be CONVINCED!!! Detailing is NOT ez when it comes to peoples pride & joy. Thats why some of you guyz thinks its obsurd to charge such low prices. In actuality without a reputation (I THINK) its inevitable to lose a bit