PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Detail Regimen… The Right Way.. You be the Judge!

Pages : [1] 2

omg35s
06-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Primarily working on a Dark Infiniti & Honda

Correction (If needed)
1. Wash – Megs Gold Class
2. Clay
3. Polish – Megs 105 (DA)
4. IPA Wipe
5. Polish – Megs 205 (DA)
6. IPA Wipe
7. Klasse Sealant (WOWO)
8. Condition/Dress Trims & Tires
9. Wax – Collinite #845 (Hand – Next Wash)
10. Wax – PB Natty’s Red (Hand – Next Wash)

Regular Wash (2x per month)
1. Wash - ONR
2. Wax – PB Natty’s Red (Hand 1x per month)
3. Dressings

Quarterly Wash (4x per year)
1. Wash - ONR
2. Wax – Collinite #845 (Hand)
3. Wax – PB Natty’s Red (Hand)
4. Condition/Dress Trims & Tires

Semi-Annually Wash
2. Clay
3. Polish – Megs 205 (If needed)
4. Wax – Collinite #845 (Hand)
5. Wax – PB Natty’s Red (Hand)
6. Condition/Dress Trims & Tires

Let me know if I should make a few adjustments. Product recommendations and procedures are all welcomed! I’ll keep my eye for good deals to add to my collection.
Thanks for looking!

maximus20895
06-20-2010, 06:20 PM
I would use Menzerna Power Lock as a sealant.

I'm not sure why you are using two paste waxes on top of eachother nor do I know why you are using ONR sometimes and sometimes using Gold Class. I know you can buy a gallon of Gold Class at Target for $6 right now.

You might also need a polish with less cut than 205 if you get micro marring. For this, I would recommend Menzerna 85RD.

omg35s
06-20-2010, 06:32 PM
I would use Menzerna Power Lock as a sealant.

I'm not sure why you are using two paste waxes on top of eachother nor do I know why you are using ONR sometimes and sometimes using Gold Class. I know you can buy a gallon of Gold Class at Target for $6 right now.

You might also need a polish with less cut than 205 if you get micro marring. For this, I would recommend Menzerna 85RD.

I'm looking for durability in my sealant. I believe nothing comes close to Klasse's durability.

Collinite #845 is actually liquid and Natty's Red is paste. I'm layering quarterly because Collinite #845 provides durability while Natty's Red gives the icing.

ONR vs Megs Gold Class is just to have something different. Have both of them in my collection of products. Water is also limited in my area.

I do plan on purchasing Menzerna 85RD in the future to "jewel" the paint.

Thanks for the insight

cobalt9123
06-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Looks good, from what you can buy on Autogeek.

sal329
06-20-2010, 08:44 PM
I would do a test before jumping to M105, also on some paints especially dark colors may want to have Menz 85. I would go with either 845 or nattys no need for both. The sealant lasts a while so I would top it with natty or 845. Wash and when drying use a QD 1-2x a month use something like DG AW or OCW. Re apply wax every 3 months.

omg35s
06-20-2010, 09:55 PM
I would do a test before jumping to M105, also on some paints especially dark colors may want to have Menz 85. I would go with either 845 or nattys no need for both. The sealant lasts a while so I would top it with natty or 845. Wash and when drying use a QD 1-2x a month use something like DG AW or OCW. Re apply wax every 3 months.

As stated, I will only be doing polishing when necessary. Testing with the least aggressive product/pad will always be exercised.

I've been reading a lot about Menzerna 85RD and would love to purchase it. Will 205 leave that much micro-marring? Is it almost a necessity to follow 205 with a lighter polish? I was going to to use the softest pad with 205 as a final polishing step.

Using a spray wax is an excellent suggestion. I have various QD's but I will purchase a spray wax to apply while I'm drying.

Thank you for your input!

maximus20895
06-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Most of the times 205 will not leave marring and it will finish perfectly fine, but on soft paints and darker colored paints (since it's easier to see defects), 205 might leave marring. You can always experience with different pads to get a better finish if desired.

This is where 85RD comes in. It is less aggressive and will take out the marring that the 205 did.

205 is to 105 ass 85rd is to 205 type thing..

jayhkr
06-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Is there a particular reason for applying Natty's wax by hand over by your DA polisher?

maximus20895
06-20-2010, 10:27 PM
I wouldn't think so. :)

omg35s
06-20-2010, 11:57 PM
Yeah, I heard about that issue with dark and soft CC cars like mine. I guess I'll try it out and if I see I need another step then I'll purchase the 85RD.

Jay

I like to apply most my sealants and waxes by hand. They're relatively easy done by hand. It’s personal preference.

2003 GMC Denali
06-21-2010, 06:54 AM
I have in my stock...

Megs 105
Megs 205
Menz 85rd

So if a guy was doing his very first test square on Black Paint... and needed to do some serious Paint Correction, would you start with 85rd and then go backwards with Megs-205 and then Megs-105, if necessary ?

Lets just assume that I would be using Orange LC Pads to start with.

What's the penalty if you don't do the Alcohol thing after each cut ?

Does that involve saturating a Micro-Fibre Towel with Alcohol and wiping it all down ? If so, why wouldn't one also wash the Car after the Claying process, too ? I would think there would be a lot of Clay-Lubricant and possible Clay-Residue and Street/Rail/Bird-Debris smeared all over the Paint. Is this a good thing to leave all over the Car before beginning to buff it out ? I ask, because I noticed above in his order of doing things, he didn't wash the Car after Claying, but went to all the trouble of wiping the whole Car down with Alcohol, after Buffing/Cutting.

I'm just a newbie thats wondering...

sal329
06-21-2010, 08:16 AM
Always start with least aggressive and work up. Depending on the paint I would start probably with 205 and black lc pad and then if more is needed change pad before polish. The alocohol wipe down ensure that the polish is removing defects and not filling as well as removes oils to allow a nice clean surface for your LSP.
Wash
Clay
Correct paint
Wipe down
And or wash
LSP

sal329
06-21-2010, 08:19 AM
As stated, I will only be doing polishing when necessary. Testing with the least aggressive product/pad will always be exercised.

I've been reading a lot about Menzerna 85RD and would love to purchase it. Will 205 leave that much micro-marring? Is it almost a necessity to follow 205 with a lighter polish? I was going to to use the softest pad with 205 as a final polishing step.

Using a spray wax is an excellent suggestion. I have various QD's but I will purchase a spray wax to apply while I'm drying.

Thank you for your input!

205 on most paints finishes down great on some softer darker colors you may need 85rd.

omg35s
06-21-2010, 03:45 PM
I took the initiative and purchased a bottle of Menzerna 85RD!

Since I am not allowed to edit the first post I will touch up my first post in the next post.

Primarily working on a Dark Infiniti & Honda

Correction (If needed)
2. Clay
3. Polish – Megs 105 (DA)
4. IPA Wipe
5. Polish – Megs 205 (DA)
6. IPA Wipe
7. Polish - Menzerna 85RD (DA)
8. IPA Wipe
9. Klasse Sealant (WOWO)
10. Condition/Dress Trims & Tires
11. Wax – Collinite #845 (Hand – Next Wash)
12. Wax – PB Natty’s Red (Hand – Next Wash)

Regular Wash (2x per month)
1. Wash - ONR
2. Wax- Spray Wax (Drying)
2. Wax – PB Natty’s Red (Hand 1x per month)
3. Dressings

Quarterly Wash (4x per year)
1. Wash - ONR
2. Wax – Collinite #845 (Hand)
3. Wax – PB Natty’s Red (Hand)
4. Condition/Dress Trims & Tires

Semi-Annually Wash
2. Clay
3. Polish – Megs 205 / Menzerna 85RD (If needed)
4. Wax – Collinite #845 (Hand)
5. Wax – PB Natty’s Red (Hand)
6. Condition/Dress Trims & Tires

2003 GMC Denali
06-21-2010, 04:03 PM
...and none of you guys would wash the Vehicle after Claying ?

Is it a waste of time ?

Another thing, the comment below, kinda bothers me...

(excerpt taken from the AG ad for Menzerna 85rd)

Menzerna Polish PO85RD is very hard to find in the U.S. but we have obtained a small quantity due to customer demand. Try it before it’s gone!

If this stuff is so great, should we be buying lots of it, before it's all gone ?