PDA

View Full Version : Technique for priming pads...

Rez90
06-20-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm reading a lot on how important it is to prime your pads before using them.

Maybe my brain isn't working very well but the only way i can think to do this is to literally get out a butter knife and spread product out on the pads.

How do you guys prime your pads?

Thanks.

A4 1.8tqm
06-20-2010, 02:30 PM
A very light mist of Pinnacle pad lube and apply polish to the pad in about 15 tiny dots. Press the pad against the paint 4 times (in the pattern shown below), creating 60 little dots of polish on the paint and establishing an area the size of 4 pads to be polished. Then spread at low speed.

1-2-
3-4

CEE DOG
06-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Depending on the polish the priming technique may be more or less important. With a product like 105 which has a shorter cycle it may be more important to prime the pad with the polish. With the 105 (taking a lesson from some of my friends on here) I will put on a latex glove and spread the polish into all cells of the pad before I start. Your butter knife idea may be just as good. With most of my polishes which have a longer cycle or use diminishing abrasives I will generally spritz 1 or 2 times with XMT conditioner then place a circle around the pad. Then place it on the paint on a speed of 3 and go across the section really quick without pressure. That will spread the polish on the paint as well as quickly "priming" the pad.