PDA

View Full Version : Young Guy Trying To Start Out

Pages : [1] 2

maximus20895
06-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Hello everyone,

I just got done with my car about 2 weeks or so ago and I found that I really do like detailing. Since I like it so much I was thinking that it would be awesome to start making money at it. So that's what I might do. I just need your guys help getting started if this is at all possible.

First off, I am young 21 so I know that may or may not be an issue, just putting out there. Second off, I don't have my own place so I would have to go mobile or do something creative of that sort.

I think I have most the equipment to detail a car, but not for a mobile detailer since I just now thought of it.

What would be required to do this part time? Is it worth it etc? I don't have much money at all to begin and to be honest i'm quite hesitant. This is just a thought, but it would be really cool if it all came together.

Thanks everyone :xyxthumbs:

fancyfootwork
06-19-2010, 09:48 PM
Start off doing friends and families vehicles first. Get a good feel for judging what you need to use on cars and a time frame. Also, ask yourself what you feel is a good price to charge. After a while you will gather enough personal information that you can create a layout for your own business. I wouldn't jump the gun and drop everything you have (school, work, etc.) to start up a company. Keep it a weekend thing or 2-3 days a week thing and slowly gain clients.

maximus20895
06-19-2010, 10:04 PM
I wouldn't drop going to school during the fall and spring. This would be just a part time on the side thing.

I am going to do a friend's car soon then I can work on other cars that belong to people I know :)

fancyfootwork
06-19-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm in a similar position as you. I want to start my own business but it takes time, experience, and passion. Like everyone here, we're constantly learning. I know I have the passion, but time is the problem.

Keep it a side thing until you gain returning customers. Treat them with dignity and respect and you will be their go to guy.

Hang in their man, just takes a little time!

DaVinciAutoSpa
06-24-2010, 12:20 AM
Ditto on the friends and family thing. That's how I started.

And in a year the amount I've learned from experience is amazing.
There is no substitute. I was fortunate enough to have a client who flips a lot of vehicles and it snowballed from there. My technique is 1000% better than when I started.

This means less time and more money for you.

Nothing said here will substitute for you getting out there and detailing. I had an old Mercedes that I learned on and people would ask me how I got it to look so nice. I had heard horror stories of people claying their car and ruining the paint. That car was my guinea pig. Sold it and eventually went mobile in my suv.

Don't quit if you're serious about it, but also do not cut corners. I've received so many referrals from folks after they saw me clean wheels with a toothbrush. People respect it when you bust your rear end. Realize that and capitalize on it. (I don't clena the entire wheel with it but it gets behind the spokes).

As for products, here's my go to stuff:

Interiors: Meg's APC + diluted 10:1. Use on everyhting.

Soap: Chemical Guys Citrus Gloss 1 gal.

Microfibers: Go to Target and buy some vroom orange/blue whatever they have. You'll need a lot. Also, I switched from a synthetic chamois to a thirsty-azz plush micro fiber huge towel I got at Wal Mart for like $8. Barely have to wring it out once.

Clay: I've purchased them all. Also get a medium grade to remove overspray. It's just a matter of time until you run into it on a client's car.

Clay Lube: ONR diluted per their instructions.

Wheel Cleaner: P21S. NOTHING ELSE. I've seen other detailer's mistakes on powder coated rims where they used some 'safe' cleaner they got at AutoZone.

Carpet: Buy a Bissell Lil Green Machine, (and some Folex at Lowe's), and when your client list expands or you get tired of emptying that thing 8x on a Suburban, buy the Aztec carpet extractor. BEST MONEY I EVER SPENT.

Windows: Stoner's InvisiGlass. Goes fast and you have to follow up with a dry microfiber to remove hazing/streaks. (I'm switching to Chemical Guys Glass Cleaner as the InvisiGlass does not last long enough for the money.) Use Stoner's to start with though as you can purchase it at any auto store.

Wax: PoorBoy's Natty Red/Blue WOLFGANG FUZION for my high end clients. Worth it in my eyes.

Paint Sealant: Blackfire Wet Diamond

Buffer: PC7424 XP. Buy it, play with it, get comfortable on your own car and then your family's. Buy different polishes. Menzerna SIP for BMWs and Benzs. Harder clear coats on those German cars. I even have some CSi that System 1 makes that makes soft clear coats like Hondas and Toyotas look like liquid glass. Buy different pads. Orange, grey, black, red, yellow. Learn the agressiveness of each and when you'd use each one in what situation. I'm not going to tell you how I buff, it's somethign you should get a 'feel' for. Again,...there is no substitute.

I remember watching Paul Dalton on youtube detailing and being inspired. He gets paid a lot of money and flown all over the world to detail cars. Can you imagine getting paid thousands of dollars to do soemthing like this?

All of this information will overloead you. But use the 'search' button and have at it. I know this is a lot, but hopefully it will save you time and money.

Questions? Ask away.

maximus20895
07-02-2010, 11:00 PM
Wow, i missed your reply. Thanks for your long and informative response!

I have a D.A. and I've used it on my car with great success so I think i'm good in the product and how to use department, at least the areas I can think of. I'm sure there are something I am a complete novice at..like a convertible top for instance.

The main concern is equipment. Since I am young I don't have a place on my own (live with parents) and so I would have to go to mobile detailing. I have seen people with tanks of water and a generator and even a van and insurance.

Since I am just going to do this on the side I don't have the money to buy all those things so I am wondering if there is a solution to this.

If someone could park their car in my garage then I would be set, but I have to resort to mobile detailing and that lays my problem. Just equipment mobile detailers have to bring that detailers that have a shop take for granted (water, electricity, store etc)

Also, I don't know about insurance either. I see some people just a disclaimer maybe I should just do that??

Thanks for your help!

maximus20895
07-02-2010, 11:52 PM
I'm kinda bored so I'll mention what all I have lol.

Meg g110 v1
4 orange 3 white 3 black 2 blue 5.5" flat lc pads
M105
M205
Menz 85RD
Menz power lock
DP MaxWax
APC+
Megs glass cleaner (gal)
Brinkman dual xenon light
Ultimate quick detailer
Megs clay kit
Plethora of all purpose mf towels
5-6 quality mf towels for the paint
Tape
Applicators
Megs gold class trim dressing
Gold class wash
Deep crystal wash
Guzzler drying towel
Sponge
Chenille mitt
Sheepskin mitt
Brushes including e-z detail
NTX wax 2.0
RainX
Stoners invisible glass
Megs foam and NXT tire dressing
Megs cleaner wax
Megs #7 glaze
Some samples of wg dgps fg ls

Gah. I think that's it. I know I'm missing something, but that's all I can think of right now lol.

jmp09fg2
07-03-2010, 06:27 AM
I can tell you right now you will need more pads. You have a nice spread, just not very many. The same can be said for microfiber. Wait for a bogo of a six pack and buy some. Look for the mango's or artic's (these are usually the ones) and if the indigo's go on bogo autogeek won't be able to keep up with my purchasing. I also like the cobra 530 (I think that is right) I flip one to the "rough" side and one to the "plush" side for easy removal. Just wash them two or three times with vinegar to get the lint out.

And for chemicals I highly recommend looking at Megs professional line gallons. I have yet to use I product and not be happy with it and after you figure the dilution ratios they are cheap, cheap, cheap. I would suggest a gallon of window cleaner, hyper dressing, APC+ (it smealls better), wheel brightner, and degreaser.

Other than that, starting out with friends and family is a great way to gain experience. The first car I polished out I got paid $40 for..... Glad I have moved up. Of course if you can find someone in your area to hover over and learn a few things, you might just end up working with them.

Good luck man, from one 8th owner to another.:xyxthumbs:

AeroCleanse
07-03-2010, 09:25 AM
My advice is learn how to use a rotary buffer. It speeds up paint correction a lot, which can be important when your making money doing it. Also, pick up some ONR, makes mobile washes a lot easier as well.

maximus20895
07-03-2010, 10:00 AM
I can tell you right now you will need more pads. You have a nice spread, just not very many. The same can be said for microfiber. Wait for a bogo of a six pack and buy some. Look for the mango's or artic's (these are usually the ones) and if the indigo's go on bogo autogeek won't be able to keep up with my purchasing. I also like the cobra 530 (I think that is right) I flip one to the "rough" side and one to the "plush" side for easy removal. Just wash them two or three times with vinegar to get the lint out.

And for chemicals I highly recommend looking at Megs professional line gallons. I have yet to use I product and not be happy with it and after you figure the dilution ratios they are cheap, cheap, cheap. I would suggest a gallon of window cleaner, hyper dressing, APC+ (it smells better), wheel brightner, and degreaser.

Other than that, starting out with friends and family is a great way to gain experience. The first car I polished out I got paid $40 for..... Glad I have moved up. Of course if you can find someone in your area to hover over and learn a few things, you might just end up working with them.

Good luck man, from one 8th owner to another.:xyxthumbs:

How many pads do you suggest I need?

I have a Gallon of APC+ and Glass Cleaner. I am eventually going to buy some hyper dressing. What would I need the degreaser for and I would assume wheel brightner is just a wheel cleaner?

Thanks for your advice :)

maximus20895
07-03-2010, 10:01 AM
My advice is learn how to use a rotary buffer. It speeds up paint correction a lot, which can be important when your making money doing it. Also, pick up some ONR, makes mobile washes a lot easier as well.

I totally forgot about ONR. I bet that would help with washes quite a bit. I will get comfortable with the D.A. first and then I will definitely get a rotary.

Mike Phillips
07-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Maybe read through some of these articles as some of these topics will become relevant the more you get into this hobby/business...

Business and Promotion
Tips for using a discussion forum to reach more customers... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/24041-tips-using-discussion-forum-reach-more-customers.html)
Brand Yourself, Brand your Forum Nickname and Brand your Business Name (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/23241-brand-yourself-brand-your-forum-nickname-brand-your-business-name.html)
How to choose a name for your detailing business (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/22283-how-choose-name-your-detailing-business.html)
The Reverse Test Spot (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/22341-reverse-test-spot.html)
The power in the after shots is created in the before shots (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/21216-power-after-shots-created-before-shots.html)
The Cruel Test Spot - This or that? - Reverse Bait & Switch (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/22275-cruel-test-spot-reverse-bait-switch.html)

:)

maximus20895
07-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Thank you sir!

AeroCleanse
07-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Also check youtube.com and watch lots of videos of other people doing it.

jmp09fg2
07-03-2010, 12:48 PM
How many pads do you suggest I need?

I have a Gallon of APC+ and Glass Cleaner. I am eventually going to buy some hyper dressing. What would I need the degreaser for and I would assume wheel brightner is just a wheel cleaner?

Thanks for your advice :)

I always have 6-10 orange 5 white 3 black and a couple of the other colors no matter what. If I smoke a few pads, I replace them as soon as I have money. Nothing like not being able to work because you don't have any pads. One thing you should really look at are the new Surbuf pads. They are INSANE! You will get incredible correction out of them and they are pretty affordable. In fact, they are so incredible I have replaced a ton of yellow and orange pads with these.

I use degreaser mostly for tires and wheel wells but you can also use it under the hood and in door jambs and anywhere else there is grease. Go figure....... Wheel brightner is some very potent stuff. Buy the good spray heads/bottles with this stuff (spraymaster). It eats through break dust like no other but will also eat through spray heads like no other.