PDA

View Full Version : Car has new paint, when can I polish?

EliteImageDetailing
06-19-2010, 02:39 PM
basically title say it. I had a new bumper done and painted along with my hood. It was done with DuPont paint and baked for cure. The quality is almost better then OEM, but the surface feels rough. I washed it with ONR and used some optimum spray wax told hold me over from going full on, but wanted your guys opinions on how long should I wait for until I can polish her up and make her beautful again.
Thanks in advance, and I searched but came up with nothing, maybe my searchfoo is week today.
Alex

redg35
06-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Ask the painter but would say at least 30 days for the outgassing to happen.You can use a glaze on it though right away.

A4 1.8tqm
06-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Your not supposed to use ANY wax or sealant for 30, 60 I've even heard 90 day's. Its ok to polish though.

EliteImageDetailing
06-19-2010, 04:21 PM
sweet.. well looks like I'll be doin some work tonight then. I don't get the wax thing as I've been told that they'll install my clear bra again, but yet waxes won't help the curing of the paint...? I'm not too informed on new paint so bare with me, I've done a lot on new cars etc, but not a newly painted surface right out from the shop.
Any tips?

A4 1.8tqm
06-19-2010, 04:35 PM
By no means am I an expert on dealing with fresh paint, but here's what I can recall off the top of my head.

During the curing period, paint releases gasses. During this "out-gassing", it is not advisable to wax or seal because it could trap the gasses and cause problems with the paint. Paint that has not fully cured may be softer and easier to correct, and in turn, easier to mar. I would think that installing a clear bra to fresh paint would be a bad idea.

Mike Phillips
06-21-2010, 07:32 AM
I wrote the definitive article on this back on November 17th, 2004...

Paint Needs to Breathe (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3704)

:)

rohnramirez
06-21-2010, 09:22 PM
basically title say it. I had a new bumper done and painted along with my hood. It was done with DuPont paint and baked for cure. The quality is almost better then OEM, but the surface feels rough. I washed it with ONR and used some optimum spray wax told hold me over from going full on, but wanted your guys opinions on how long should I wait for until I can polish her up and make her beautful again.
Thanks in advance, and I searched but came up with nothing, maybe my searchfoo is week today.
Alex

Hi Alex, if it was indeed baked, you will notice that it is a bit hazy in appearance,then you can wetsand, compound then polish as desired and wax/seal it. If it wasn't baked then you need to wait before using a wax or sealant as everyone has said.