PDA

View Full Version : any maintenance on a makita rotary?

cobraa
06-18-2010, 10:55 PM
Hey guys,

I was wondering what kind of maintenance you need to do on a makita to keep it in good shape?

Lasthope05
06-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Use compressed air to blow out dust/wool from intake and exhaust ports and change the carbon brushes when you need to. You will know when you will need to change the brushes as the buffer will start to act up. eg: motor stutters/turns on and off as the buffer is in use.

You will also sometimes need to fix power cord as the constant flexing will break the inner wires. You shouldn't really worry about this as its a very easy fix and it will take a while for it to happen(took my buffer 2 years of constant use.)

BobbyG
06-19-2010, 05:52 AM
Most of the tools produced today will provide the average user with a lifetime of maintainable free use. If you're a "professional" detailer then you may find that at some point you'll need to pop in a new set of brushes but other than that just a general inspection and cleaning with compressed air.

One of my buffers is 40 years old and still going strong. It's old and heavy but it still works. Is it a mess? You bet it is but every time I squeeze the trigger it starts!