PDA

View Full Version : how much is to much, or to little?

cooksnj
06-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Mike I don't know if you have ever touched on this. You have allot of articles, but I don't see this any where.

My question is this, How much product is to much, or to little when waxing or sealing a surface by hand? I can never get it right. Example: when you apply Klasse by hand, you only need a dime sized amount for the whole hood. I would never be able to do that. I can get close when I use my pc. But by hand, not even close. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong? My thought is I need to move the pad faster to get an even amount spread out, but that doesn't work. So then I will add more, and now I have to use a chisel to remove it (Klasse Glaze) Today I was using duragloss on my wife's car, and while trying to put on a nice even (thin) coat by hand, I couldn't do it. If I cant see it, we'll to me, it's just not there.

When I use my pc, I can work it, see it, and get a nice even coat. (for the most part anyway) Why is this? The speed?

It would be nice if for small tight areas I could just use an applicator and move on, but I either use to much, or it's not enough. I would say it becomes Blotchy, if that makes sense to you. If you use to much, it becomes messy and a pain to remove.

I don't know why I cant get this right, I have over waxed and sealed everything I touch by hand since I started this wonderful passion. Maybe it just takes allot of practice?

Thanks for your time, and experience on this subject. I love all of your post, you have so much knowledge.

ScottB
06-19-2010, 05:49 AM
I have found certain products are more in tune with certain applicators in making a light even coat. Experiment between foam and MF applicators.

A4 1.8tqm
06-19-2010, 07:45 AM
I found that MF applicators like Cobra™ Indigo Microfiber Applicators (http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-indigo-microfiber-pads-3.html) are great for applying Klasse SG, and as killr has advised others in the past, use a small pump spray bottle to mist a tiny amount of sealant and spread to get a nice thin, even layer.

Mike Phillips
06-19-2010, 10:31 AM
If a person reads enough of my posts or articles you'll note that I use the word ample a lot.

From The Free Dictionary.com

am·ple
adjective

1. Of large or great size, amount, extent, or capacity: an ample living room.

a. Large in degree, kind, or quantity: an ample reward.
b. More than enough: ample evidence.

3. Fully sufficient to meet a need or purpose: had ample food for the party.

When I use the word it aligns most closely with the 3rd definition above, that is you want to use enough product to meet the need.

Underusing a product means a lack of lubrication no matter what you're trying to do plus you'll make reaching your goal more difficult.

Overusing a product means you might hinder the products ability to work efficiently and/or you could hyper-lubricate the surface. You could also simply waste product and make working with the product or removing the product more difficult than it has to be.

Using the ample amount of product is finding a balance which enables you to maximize the benefits of the product while reaching your goal.

When using a cleaner/wax on a neglected finish you want to use the product heavy or wet because you want PLENTY of product on the surface working for you whether its a chemical cleaners only or a combination of chemical cleaners and mechanical abrasives, you certainly don't want to skimp on product when working on a neglected finish.

When using a finishing wax, sealant or hybrid, then theoretically you're working on a clean, smooth surface that is defect free, in this case you want to use an ample amount of product to enable your applicator pad to spread the product out with good lubrication and so there's no friction while at the same time laying down only a thin layer of product, enough to coat over and to whatever level possible, work the product into the finish.

When demonstrating live or on video it's not always easy to lay down as thin a coating as I would normally do if I were working by myself as you have to make a process visible to a wide variety of people with different vision levels and even distances away from the work area, for video you usually have to do everything a little more over the top for either the camera to capture a process or to make it present well.

Don't get too hung up on using minuscule amounts of of product to wax your car... I certainly don't... I don't waste product and I don't under-use product, I aim for using the ample amount.

:)

cooksnj
06-19-2010, 01:11 PM
thanks killer, i kinda figured i just need more experience and practice. it's kinda of a pain trying to zoom in on what you might think will work, in my case, i might run out of car. lol

cooksnj
06-19-2010, 01:14 PM
thanks ar. i just used klasse as an example. i do this with everything i do by hand, wax, sealer, etc. i'll keep practicing, i have no choice with 4 cars to take care of, and i'll get it.

cooksnj
06-19-2010, 01:23 PM
thank you mike as always spot on advice. i kinda had a feeling that with weather cond. etc. etc. that everything is relevant. an amount you might need to wax a car today, might be different next week and so on.

i guess the best way is to put it on and go to work, and if you need more, do it, and if you need less, spread it out.

the thin is the problem, it's hard to tell how thin it is, maybe i need glasses. lol

thanks for the points on the cleaner wax. i have never thought of that.