PDA

View Full Version : Help - what for an 07 C6 Red Vette

Pages : [1] 2 3

ltoman
11-05-2006, 11:40 PM
I am sorry, I am no expert here. I have a brand new C6 2007red vette coupe and I dont know what to use. We ordered the Pinnacle clay kit with the blue clay and waxed it, but I still have swirl marks. I truly can't afford to go get it clear coated a bunch of times...I am just not happy with how it looks. My white Supra looked so much better, I am wishing I bought white, but really, who wants a white vette? (no offense anyone) So, as a newbie female, explain to me what I can do. Thanks so very much!!! :confused: Feed back please Feed back please Feed back please

sparkie
11-06-2006, 12:23 AM
Welcome to AG. You can learn a lot by looking and reading posts. Check out this links:
http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
Being a newbie, that link will help you learn how to take car care to the next level.
Swirls, the only way to take care of them is polishing. IMO, XMT line and PC.
http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polisher.html
Check out the video!

supercharged
11-06-2006, 12:29 AM
Hi, ltoman. Welcome to AG forum.
Here is the process that everybody follows to maintain their vehicle as best looking in a neighborhood/showroom shine.

WASH===CLAY===POLISH===PROTECT

Washing is where most of our swirls occur. That's why it's important to use proper tools and proper technique.

WASH - Poorboy's SS&S, DP Xtreme foam formula, Pinnacle Bodywork shampoo are among the best. That well said, they all have pleasant fragrance, offer high lubricity, and don't dry your hands. You will also need a sheepskin wash mitt, or new Shmitt.

CLAY - Pinnacle Poly clay, DP clay are excellent choices. Proper lubricant must be used with clay. Soap/water mix will dry your clay.

POLISH - Pinnacle XMT series or Poorboy's SSR series will help you get rid of swirls. They work the best with PC 7424.

PROTECT - (carnauba) - Pinnacle Souveran paste is the king of waxes. It is brilliant on black and awesome on black. Other nice offerings are Poorboy's Natty Blue, and DP Max Wax.

You may also choose to protect your vehicle with a synthetic sealant.
DP or Wolfgang are very nice choices. Synthetic lasts longer, but has a little sterile look. Carnaubas, though offer a warm look, but have limited durability.

It is the best to get best of both worlds, - layer carnauba wax on a top of sealant.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and happy shopping at AG.

P1et
11-06-2006, 12:42 AM
Welcome to AG! I think Supercharged pretty much summed it up! By claying and then immediately waxing your Corvette, you're not getting rid of your swirls -- just covering them up.

If I'm not mistaken, the Porter Cables are still on sale you now would be a great time to invest!

ltoman
11-06-2006, 01:28 AM
Thank you all; I have been reading the info and I see there is plenry more to do and buy! My question is this- what is the best polish? Pinnacle XMT? What really is the difference between that and Pinnacle's Advanced Swirl Remover? That I just do not understand. Also, is Pinnacle Souveran the best wax? It is $80, but Zaino is well rated and it is not $80. What is the difference? Where does Pinnacle's signature II carnuba wax at $40 fit in this? I want to buy te rest of what I need asap so I can finish it off this weekend. I am not interseted in the cheapest; I want the best product.
THANK YOU ALL very, very much!!!! :-)

ltoman
11-06-2006, 01:31 AM
I know this is ignorant, but what is a porter cable? someone plmk- thank you very much guys, Lauren.

supercharged
11-06-2006, 02:36 AM
Porter cable 7424 dual action polisher (http://autogeek.net/po.html) is a machine that helps making swirl removing process easier. Typically you need to remove some clear coat to remove paint defect. It's not easy to do it my hand. You can maybe do a hood or a fender, before you get tired. With a machine you can do a whole car. check out the video as well.

Souveran paste (http://autogeek.net/pinsouvwax.html) is the best. Matter of fact it has been used on collectors Mercedes Benz owned by Ralph Lauren. That should tell you something. After all, it a Corvette, you know. Souveran will highlight (http://autogeek.net/pinnacleprod.html)your Vette out all other Vettes.
Check this out - http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1121

sparkie
11-06-2006, 02:43 AM
Porter Cable is the company that makes the dual-action-polisher. Sometimes called PC, PC/DA, or just DA.
Did you see the video? They are using a PC with polish to remove swirls.

Zaino is a sealant, not a wax. Sealants may be poly base or acrylic. Check out Duragloss, about the same thing with out all that mixing.

You can top a sealant with wax but you can not top wax with a sealant.

Wax is base on polymers and carnuba. Depends on which wax you buy.

Pinnacle IMO is one of the best, if not the best products out there.

Sealants I like Klasse, Liquid Glass and Duragloss. I'm looking at Poorboys line now.
So check out these links:
http://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html

FloridaNative
11-06-2006, 08:45 AM
Thank you all; I have been reading the info and I see there is plenry more to do and buy! My question is this- what is the best polish? Pinnacle XMT? What really is the difference between that and Pinnacle's Advanced Swirl Remover? That I just do not understand. Also, is Pinnacle Souveran the best wax? It is $80, but Zaino is well rated and it is not $80. What is the difference? Where does Pinnacle's signature II carnuba wax at $40 fit in this? I want to buy te rest of what I need asap so I can finish it off this weekend. I am not interseted in the cheapest; I want the best product.
THANK YOU ALL very, very much!!!! :-)

Autogeek offers many excellent products and product lines, that said, I understand that it can be intimidating for a newcomer. The Pinnacle ASR is the most abrasive polish in the Pinnacle line. XMT is another polish line also made by Pinnacle. If your car is brand new then you won't be needing ASR.

The clay bar does not remove swirls it removes embedded contaminants that are stuck in the car's clear coat.

Waxes will not remove swirls.

Polishing is the only way to remove a swirl. I would recommend the XMT light swirl remover kit. http://pinnaclewax.com/xmtpocaswrek.html It comes with the Porter Cable and pads and polishes and quality microfibers and the shipping is free. The signature series II is an excellent wax as well and will make all colors look good. Another excellent one is Liquid Souveran. It has excellent looks and is less expensive than the Souveran paste wax. I would recommend also the Pinnacle Bodywork shampoo so that you can buy everything from the Pinnacle store and receive the free shipping. Watch the videos on how to use the polishes and the PC. Start with the white polishing pad and XMT 1 on a small section of the car. The hood would be a good place to start. Work your polishes until they break down (approximately 5 minutes) and then buff off the residue and inspect the area. If the swirls are gone then proceed with the rest of the car, if some swirls still remain then you can move up to the XMT 2 and the white polishing pad. Work the same area again (approximately 5 minutes) and then buff and inspect the surface. Once you have removed the swirls you can proceed with the rest of the car with the correct combination. After that you can use the carnauba finishing glaze with your grey finishing pad. You don't need to work this one in for 5 minutes since it doesn't need to be broken down. A couple of minutes to spread it thoroughly and work it into the paint is all you need. Buff off residue and you are ready for your wax of choice.

It's alot to take in at once, but if you start with a kit and learn how to use the products then you can branch out and try new things if you wish. Watch the videos and work with the products and ask questions. We are all here to help you suceed. :) I welcome you to the forums from one lady to another. I hope you enjoy your time here and enjoy the learning process and most of all that you have fun detailing your new ride. All of the products AG offers are top quality and they will make your car shine like new for years to come. Best of luck to you. :)

ltoman
11-06-2006, 02:39 PM
You can top a sealant with wax but you can not top wax with a sealant.

Thank you so much - can you humor me - why is that so? MANY thanks!! :)

Wax is base on polymers and carnuba. Depends on which wax you buy.

Pinnacle IMO is one of the best, if not the best products out there.

Sealants I like Klasse, Liquid Glass and Duragloss. I'm looking at Poorboys line now.

Is there a sealant you like from the Pinnacle line, or do you feel the quality of one of those three you listed is superior? :applause: Thanks - you rock!
So check out these links:
http://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html[/quote]

Thank you!

joe.p
11-06-2006, 02:52 PM
Not to confuse you but here is a list of abbreviations listed in the archives to help out new members unfamiliar with the Acronyms.. I do beleive the Vette clearcoat is harder then others so you might wanto consider a Porter Cable to assist you with a finer finish..Scott(killerWheels) has a Vette and could help get you thru this with a better undrstanding as well as the other information the forum members have supplied.Good Luck and get started :cheers: .

Acronyms:

* PC = 6" Dual Action Polisher (Porter-Cable/Meguiars)
* 7336 = 6" Dual Action Polisher/Sander (Porter-Cable)
* 7424 = 6" Dual Action Polisher (Porter-Cable)
* BC/CC = Base Coat/Clear Coat (Automotive Paint)
* CB = Clay Bar
* DA = Dual Action
* DISO = Dealer Installed Swirl Option
* ESP = Engineered Synthetic Polymers
* FWIW = For what it's worth
* IG = Stoner's Invisible Glass
* IMHO In My Humble Opinion
* IMO = In My Opinion
* lol or LOL = Laughing Out Loud
* LSP = Last Step Product
* MF = Microfiber Towel
* MSDS = Material Safety Data Sheets
* OB = Orbital Buffer (Anything that's not a PC, usually bigger and slower)
* QEW = Protect All Quick & Easy Wash
* RB = Rotary Buffer
* RIDS = Random Isolated Deeper Scratches
* SS = Single Stage (Automotive Paint)
* SW = Spray Wax
* TIA = Thanks In Advance
* WM = Wash Mitt
* WW = Waffle Weave Towel

* #00 = Hi-Tech Wash - (Professional Line)
* #1 = Medium-Cut Cleaner - (Professional Line)
* #2 = Fine-Cut Cleaner - (Professional Line)
* #3 = Machine Glaze - (Professional Line)
* #4 = Heavy-Cut Cleaner - (Professional Line)
* #5 = New Car Glaze - (Professional Line)
* #6 = Cleaner Wax - (Professional Line)
* #7 = Show Car Glaze - (Professional Line)
* #9 = Swirl Remover 2.0 - (Professional Line)
* #10 = Clear Plastic Polish - (Professional Line)
* #12 = Cleaner Wax - (Consumer Line)
* #16 = Professional Paste Wax - (Discontinued)
* #17 = Clear Plastic Cleaner - (Professional Line)
* #18 = Clear Plastic Detailer - (Professional Line)
* #20 = Polymer Sealant - (Professional Line)
* #21 = Synthetic Sealant - (Professional Line)
* #23 = Odor Eliminator - (Professional Line)
* #26 = Hi-Tech Yellow Wax - (Professional Line)
* #28 = All Metal Polish - (Professional Line)
* #33 = Quik Detailer - Mist and Wipe - (Consumer Line)
* #34 = Final Inspection - (Professional Line)
* #36 = Hi-Tech Wheel Cleaner - (Professional Line)
* #38 = Tire & Trim Dressing Gel - (Professional Line)
* #39 = Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner - (Professional Line)
* #40 = Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner - (Professional Line)
* #43 = Boat Wash - (Marine/RV Line)
* #44 = Color Restorer - (Marine/RV Line)
* #45 = Boat/RV Polish - (Marine/RV Line)
* #46 = Gold Teak Oil - (Marine/RV Line)
* #47 = Hard Water Spot Remover - (Marine/RV Line)
* #49 = Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover - (Marine/RV Line)
* #50 = One Step Cleaner/Wax - (Marine/RV Line)
* #52 = Quick Clean Marine - (Marine/RV Line)
* #54 = Boat/RV Gel Wash - (Marine/RV Line)
* #56 = Boat/RV Pure Wax - (Marine/RV Line)
* #57 = Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner - (Marine/RV Line)
* #59 = Quik Wax Marine (Trigger Spray) - (Marine/RV Line)
* #60 = Bilge Cleaner - (Marine/RV Line)
* #62 = Car Wash Shampoo and Conditioner - (Professional Line)
* #63 = Flagship Premium Marine Wax - (Marine/RV Line)
* #64 = Flagship Premium Vinyl & Rubber Protectant - (Marine/RV Line)
* #65 = Flagship Premium Marine Wash - (Marine/RV Line)
* #66 = Quick Detailer - Cleaner/Wax - (Professional Line)
* #67 = One-Step Compound - (Marine/RV Line)
* #68 = Non-Skid Deck & Hull Cleaner - (Marine/RV Line)
* #69 = Quik Wax Marine (Aerosol) - (Marine/RV Line)
* #70 = Black Streak Remover - (Marine/RV Line)
* #71 = Canvas Cleaner - (Marine/RV Line)
* #72 = Canvas Protectant - (Marine/RV Line)
* #73 = Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner - (Marine/RV Line)
* #74 = Cabin Odor Eliminator - (Marine/RV Line)
* #75 = Glass Cleaner - (Marine/RV Line)
* #80 = Speed Glaze - (Professional Line)
* #81 = Body Shop Professional Hand Polish - (Professional Line)
* #82 = Swirl Free Polish - (Professional Line)
* #83 = Dual Action Cleaner/Polish - (Professional Line)
* #84 = Compound Power Cleaner - (Professional Line)
* #85 = Diamond Cut Compound 2.0 - (Professional Line)
* #93 = Metal Polish - (Marine/RV Line)
* 7000 = 8" Softbuff Foam Cutting Pad
* 7006 = 6.5" Softbuff Foam Cutting Pad
* 8000 = 8" Softbuff Foam Polishing Pad
* 8006 = 6.5" Softbuff Foam Polishing Pad
* 9000 = 8" Softbuff Foam Finishing Pad
* 9006 = 6.5" Softbuff Foam Finishing Pad
* A12 or A-12 = Cleaner Wax - (Consumer Line)
* APC = All Purpose Cleaner - (Detailer Line)
* APC+ = All Purpose Cleaner Plus - (Discontinued)
* ASD = All Season Dressing - (Detailer Line)
* DACP = Dual Action Cleaner/Polish - (Professional Line)
* DC#1 = Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner - (Consumer Line)
* DC#2 = Deep Crystal System Polish - (Consumer Line)
* DC#3 = Deep Crystal System Carnauba Wax - (Consumer Line)
* Dline = Meguiars "Detailer Line" of products
* EK = Engine Kote - (Discontinued)
* Extra = EXTRA All Surface Cleaner - (Discontinued)
* FD = Final Detail - (Discontinued)
* FI = Final Inspection - (Professional Line)
* G100 = 6" Dual Action Polisher
* G100A = 6" Dual Action Polisher
* G104 = 6" Cordless Orbital Buffer
* GC = Meguiars "Gold Class" line of products
* HD = Hyper-Dressing - (Detailer Line)
* HP = Body Shop Professional Hand Polish - (Professional Line)
* HW = Hyper-Wash - (Detailer Line)
* IS = NXT Generation Insane Shine Tire Coating - (Consumer Line)
* LT = Last Touch Spray Detailer - (Detailer Line)
* MOL = Meguiars Online
* MPLC = Medallion Premium Leather Cleaner - (Discontinued)
* MPPC = Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner - (Discontinued)
* MPPP = Medallion Premium Paint Protection - (Discontinued)
* NXT QD or NXT SD = NXT Speed Detailer - (Consumer Line)
* QD = Quik Detailer
* QID = Quik Interior Detailer - (Consumer Line)
* SD = NXT Generation Speed Detailer - (Consumer Line)
* SFD = Silicone-Free Dressing - (Detailer Line)
* UB = Ultimate Bonnet - (Discontinued)
* UW = Ultimate Wipe - (Discontinued)
* W7000 = 8" Softbuff Foam Cutting Pad
* W7006 = 6.5" Softbuff Foam Cutting Pad
* W8000 = 8" Softbuff Foam Polishing Pad
* W8006 = 6.5" Softbuff Foam Polishing Pad
* W9000 = 8" Softbuff Foam Finishing Pad
* W9006 = 6.5" Softbuff Foam Finishing Pad
* WM = Water Magnet Drying Towel

abrcrombe
11-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Welcome to the forums. You cannot put a sealant over a wax because a sealant requires a clean surface to bond to the paint. A wax can stick over a sealant because it does not bond. What climate do you live in? That dictates what you should put on your car I think. I live in sunny San Diego and on my dad's C6 I used Souveran and no sealant. Looks awesome and guess what... works AMAZINGLY on red. Really deepened my GF's 200sx in minutes! Good luck and enjoy. 400 hp = 19 year olds dream. :)

ltoman
11-06-2006, 03:24 PM
Autogeek offers many excellent products and product lines, that said, I understand that it can be intimidating for a newcomer. The Pinnacle ASR is the most abrasive polish in the Pinnacle line. XMT is another polish line also made by Pinnacle. If your car is brand new then you won't be needing ASR.

The clay bar does not remove swirls it removes embedded contaminants that are stuck in the car's clear coat.

Waxes will not remove swirls.

Polishing is the only way to remove a swirl. I would recommend the XMT light swirl remover kit. http://pinnaclewax.com/xmtpocaswrek.html It comes with the Porter Cable and pads and polishes and quality microfibers and the shipping is free. The signature series II is an excellent wax as well and will make all colors look good. Another excellent one is Liquid Souveran. It has excellent looks and is less expensive than the Souveran paste wax. I would recommend also the Pinnacle Bodywork shampoo so that you can buy everything from the Pinnacle store and receive the free shipping. Watch the videos on how to use the polishes and the PC. Start with the white polishing pad and XMT 1 on a small section of the car. The hood would be a good place to start. Work your polishes until they break down (approximately 5 minutes) and then buff off the residue and inspect the area. If the swirls are gone then proceed with the rest of the car, if some swirls still remain then you can move up to the XMT 2 and the white polishing pad. Work the same area again (approximately 5 minutes) and then buff and inspect the surface. Once you have removed the swirls you can proceed with the rest of the car with the correct combination. After that you can use the carnauba finishing glaze with your grey finishing pad. You don't need to work this one in for 5 minutes since it doesn't need to be broken down. A couple of minutes to spread it thoroughly and work it into the paint is all you need. Buff off residue and you are ready for your wax of choice.

It's alot to take in at once, but if you start with a kit and learn how to use the products then you can branch out and try new things if you wish. Watch the videos and work with the products and ask questions. We are all here to help you suceed. :) I welcome you to the forums from one lady to another. I hope you enjoy your time here and enjoy the learning process and most of all that you have fun detailing your new ride. All of the products AG offers are top quality and they will make your car shine like new for years to come. Best of luck to you. :)

WOW! Thanks. Of the two kits in your link - since the car is new, I should get the lighter of the two kits, right? Or do you think that matters?

Have you used the Souveran paste? Is it really what they alledge it is? If it that superior, I will buy it. Can I use the polisher from your link to do wax too?:awesome: :awesome: Im the MAN Im the MAN :applause:

abrcrombe
11-06-2006, 03:28 PM
You most likely won't need the moderate swirl removal kit so just get the light and if you decide to use it on other cars you can always buy XMT#3 by itself. GET souveran and you won't be disappointed, and you can use the polisher to apply but most like to use Souveran by hand.

ltoman
11-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Woah you guys are wonderful!! Thanks so much. My husband sees no need to even address the swirl marks, but I worked hard for that car and it is almost 100% paid for, which is a big deal to me, as I am only a teacher and our check is not big. I want it to look like wet red nail polish or lip gloss!You guys understand. Thanks for answering my questions, and for the list of terms, and all the recoomendations as I want to order the rest of the stuff asap.
I live in Temecula, just north of Escondido (San Diego, CA). It stays in the garage but bakes in the heat at work. I live 3 miles from work, so I put very few miles on it.
Souveran it is. I will try to post pictures too.
So if I oreder the PC with the light XMT swirl remover, what else exactly should I follow it with?
:-)