PDA

View Full Version : Remove Imbedded Brake Pad Dust/Particles

jsgntulok
06-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Rather new to this forum and have learned a lot of great info from all of you. I consider myself a serious amateur detailer, do it as a hobby. I never charge for detailing a car except to cover the cost of materials used and then ask the car's owner to conisder donating to one of several Tulsa Ok non-profits if they are happy with what I did for their car.

I need advice for removing imbedded brake dust from the wheels of a very good friend's 2010 Audi Q5. This is her daily driver and already has 15,000 miles in less than 9 months of ownership. Yesterday I had her Q5 for a day to do a quick mini-detailing on the outside. After claying the car, I tried clay on the wheels but didn't have much luck. I use Griot's Garage clay so am wondering if I need to try a more agressive clay to get the imbedded particles cleaned off. I searched several threads this morning relating to wheel cleaning and didn't find this issue directly discussed. It looks like after getting her wheels cleaned, DP Wheel Glaze is a well liked product to help prevent future build up.

I'll sure appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
06-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Trying to get a better idea of what you mean by "embedded" brake dust. Do you have a pic of the rim by any chance?

jsgntulok
06-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Sparkie at this link http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/11662-baked-bmw-brake-dust.html seems to describe it best and suggests using detailing clay to remove embedded contaminants. I don't have any photos of the Q5's wheels, but basically, there are black particles/specks adhering to the "forward motion edges of the wheel spokes. Griots Garage yellow clay would remove the smaller particles. What I am wondering now is will a more agressive clay do the job on the bigger particles and if so, which clay? Or, would one of the many wheel cleaning products to the job and if so, which one?

ScottB
06-17-2010, 06:03 PM
I first grab and try Klasse AIO (red bottle) ... pretty cool stuff.

Harleyguy
06-17-2010, 08:26 PM
I first grab and try Klasse AIO (red bottle) ... pretty cool stuff.Really have to give that a try never used it for rims.:xyxthumbs:

Munich77
06-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Really have to give that a try never used it for rims.:xyxthumbs:

Works awesome - cleans and seals the wheels well too. I thought i was the only one that has used it.