PDA

View Full Version : Oxidized paint

mastrjeff1
06-17-2010, 11:43 AM
I just bought a car recently and the paint was severely oxidized. I brought back all the metal parts of the car and it looks stunning. I just can't get the plastic barts such as the bumper cover and ground effects to look good. They still look oxidized. Any help/suggestions wuld be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Shane731
06-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Some pictures would be nice. :Picture:

Mike Phillips
06-17-2010, 12:42 PM
For some reason, what you're seeing is a common problem, any of the flexible parts will tend to fade worse than the rest of the car and don't restore to their original color.

Remember, if this is a clear coated car the color part is under the clear, so if the color layer of paint fades, buffing on the top layer of clear can restore clarity to the clear coat but it wont add lost color back to the basecoat.

Some speculate that it could be that it's the additional flex agent agent added to the flexible parts that may be the root cause of the problem.

I know that not all the parts of a car are painted on the assembly line, some parts are manufactured by outside companies or other locations of the car manufacture and thus not painted in the same location with the same exact paint and/or paint system. Don't know if that's a factor but the point is some cars are assembled from components manufactured and painted elsewhere.

:)