PDA

View Full Version : Diy qd

Christopher
06-17-2010, 09:20 AM
So... I have been experimenting around with making my own QD / clay lube. I was wondering if any of you guys could recommend any oils to put in the stuff to act as a lubricant? Any that would smell nice?

CEE DOG
06-17-2010, 10:22 AM
I would stick with pressed oil of unobtainium.

Sorry, that's the best I could do :)

jayhkr
06-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Buy some ONR and dilute it 4oz to 1 gall!

oldmodman
06-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Buy some ONR and dilute it 4oz to 1 gall!

Yep, that works fine, and it smells OK too.

Dubbin1
06-17-2010, 04:29 PM
ONR is not the answer here, he is trying to make his own.

oldmodman
06-17-2010, 04:39 PM
ONR is not the answer here, he is trying to make his own.

As in, nothing commercial in any way as a base starting point?

So he should try things like mixing distilled water, virgin wolverine urine ( I don't know how to tell if she's a virgin, just ask I guess), and ground up Japanese wasp venom?
Seem like a lot of extra work for not much in the way of results.:laughing:

Christopher
06-17-2010, 07:38 PM
As in, nothing commercial in any way as a base starting point?

So he should try things like mixing distilled water, virgin wolverine urine ( I don't know how to tell if she's a virgin, just ask I guess), and ground up Japanese wasp venom?
Seem like a lot of extra work for not much in the way of results.:laughing:
Exactly.:xyxthumbs: It seems to me like it would be pretty tough to throw anything together that would be more expensive than the 10$+ per bottle of normal quick detailer. AND I can get a bit more customization in the mix for various uses: Clay lube, dirt remover, finger print remover, bug splat remover, or just get some on the go shine.

Would Kerosene work? It takes off bugs, feels like it lubricates, and seems like it leaves a 'just waxed' finish.

CEE DOG
06-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Exactly.:xyxthumbs: It seems to me like it would be pretty tough to throw anything together that would be more expensive than the 10$+ per bottle of normal quick detailer. AND I can get a bit more customization in the mix for various uses: Clay lube, dirt remover, finger print remover, bug splat remover, or just get some on the go shine.

Would Kerosene work? It takes off bugs, feels like it lubricates, and seems like it leaves a 'just waxed' finish.

I figure they have to charge something in order to pay the chemical engineers! Plus companies have to make money or there is no point to their existence...
btw: Check out the Optimum Instant detailer. After you dilute it it really is not very expensive and it is a great QD.

:idea:
If you are determined to experiment mix some kerosene and peanut butter for your base. Then add the wolverine urine poured through a strainer filled with japanese wasps... Oh, probably shouldn't use a lighter at any point in this process.
(Disclaimer: don't really do any of that)

Christopher
06-17-2010, 07:59 PM
I figure they have to charge something in order to pay the chemical engineers! Plus companies have to make money or there is no point to their existence...
btw: Check out the Optimum Instant detailer. After you dilute it it really is not very expensive and it is a great QD.

:idea:
If you are determined to experiment mix some kerosene and peanut butter for your base. Then add the wolverine urine poured through a strainer filled with japanese wasps... Oh, probably shouldn't use a lighter at any point in this process.
(Disclaimer: don't really do any of that)
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Christopher
06-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Since it seems like making my own isn't really practical...

What would be better and why: ONR or DP Rinse & Gloss?

CEE DOG
06-17-2010, 08:08 PM

I haven't used the DP rinse and gloss.

For a QD I would recomend this: Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer Quick Detail Spray, opt quick detailer, spray detailer, waterless wash, instant detail spray (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-instant-detailer-32oz.html)

It's 20$ up front but will last you forever after diluted. If you don't want to spend that then wait for some others to way in on the choice between ONR and DPR&G.

Harleyguy
06-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Stick some KY in the mix that should give it plenty of lube.:dblthumb2:

jayhkr
06-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Stick some KY in the mix that should give it plenty of lube.:dblthumb2:

Don't waste that stuff, it comes in HANDY sometimes Im the MAN

If you like Megs products check out your local WM to see if they have the 32oz bottles still on clearance for $5.00. Beats the 16oz price of 4.78. Just a thought.

cobalt9123
06-17-2010, 10:52 PM

I have heard on Autopia that they are almost indistinguishable. The only way they could tell was smell and color. I have only used ONR and love it but I believe I'll be trying both the OID, FK425, and DPRW&G

tuscarora dave
06-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Rubbing alcohol, distilled water and Nexus shampoo!!

Can QEW be used as a quick detailer like ONR?