PDA

View Full Version : How much wash water do you use?

Herzog
06-17-2010, 07:57 AM
I know most of us use two 5 gallon buckets - one with wash water and one with rinse water, and a high percentage also probably use Grit Guards in them. My question is, do you use 5 gallons of water..4 gallons..3? Is there any benefit to using more water?

I would like to use less water to save on shampoo, but offhand it would stand to reason that more water between your wash mitt and the bottom of the wash bucket would help keep the dirt and grit at bay.

Anyone have expert advice?

CEE DOG
06-17-2010, 08:06 AM
This is something that I wouldn't give much more thought personally.
Are you washing a few vehicles or doing this as a job?
The amount you are saving per wash is like 0.25 ounce which equates to pennies.

To answer your question: In general I fill up the bucket about 3/4 of the way. (that would be approx 3.75 gallons) Then I add the shampoo and stir with my arm. Then I hit the top with my hose nozzle till the suds are at the top and about to overflow.

A4 1.8tqm
06-17-2010, 08:16 AM
If your currently using an expensive shampoo and really like it but want to save on the cost of using it, just use Meg's Gold Class or something cheaper every 2-3 washes and save that way. No sense in skimping on the wash process if you've put any effort into creating a swirl-free finish. Just my $0.02 :xyxthumbs:

Bunky
06-17-2010, 10:54 AM
I fill the soap bucket to around 2 to 2.5 gallons (do not use grit guard) and usually have at least 1 gallon left after doing the paint then the tires. I fill the rinse bucket with a grit guard to at least 3 gallons. Since 99% of the time the vehicles are not really dirty and using the rinse bucket, the soap water stays very clean.

oldmodman
06-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Since I use the two bucket method. First bucket, which is fresh water rinse only, is nearly full to the top.
Wash or soap bucket is full to within four inches of the top. And I use two grit guards stacked one on top of the other in it.
And this is after a "pre-wash" using a foam cannon with a fresh water rinse, BEFORE any bucket washing.

In terms of water usage. I have allowed my lawn to die to make up for water used in car washing.

Guess where my priorities are:autowash::detailer: