PDA

View Full Version : "My car doesn't need wax"

Pages : [1] 2

Expert Car Care
06-16-2010, 06:41 PM
I hear this quite regularly from customers that come in to get their car detailed. They opt for the "interior only " package and leave their oxidized, swirlmark covered exterior to the elements.

Many car dealers are telling people that the car has a special "coating" (clear coat?) that does not require waxing or polishing.

Is this true? or is this just a cooked up tale made up by auto dealers to sell vehicles?

My opinion? I think all cars need wax. It's like scotchgard for your vehicle. People dont realize that wax does more than just make a car shiny, it is a protectant that nourishes the paint and protects it from UV and the elements.
My truck is less than a year old and I already wax it.

What do you tell your customers that claim their car does not need wax or any exterior detailing?

ScottB
06-16-2010, 06:56 PM
clearcoats are warrantied by manufacturers for several years, add this to more and more units being leased and people dont truly care as they count the months to the next ride. I think it has been proven time and again that proper upkeep and protection will bring more at trade-in provided they own it and care for it too.

Rsurfer
06-16-2010, 07:00 PM
I hear this quite regularly from customers that come in to get their car detailed. They opt for the "interior only " package and leave their oxidized, swirlmark covered exterior to the elements.

Many car dealers are telling people that the car has a special "coating" (clear coat?) that does not require waxing or polishing.

Is this true? or is this just a cooked up tale made up by auto dealers to sell vehicles?

My opinion? I think all cars need wax. It's like scotchgard for your vehicle. People dont realize that wax does more than just make a car shiny, it is a protectant that nourishes the paint and protects it from UV and the elements.
My truck is less than a year old and I already wax it.

What do you tell your customers that claim their car does not need wax or any exterior detailing?Then why do new car dealers offer paint protection for $600.00?

Gunslinger
06-16-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm not a detailer, but it seems strange that dealers (read that "salesmen"), tell people that new cars have a "special coating" that doesn't need wax...especially when they're supposed to sell buyers a factory authorized paint sealant or protectant service. That's a high profit add-on and often would be more profitable to the dealership than the car sale itself.

Sales people tell a lot of incorrect things to make a sale and not worry about it. Maybe they think if a car buyer runs the car through an automatic car wash it will get what it requires. In fact, many dealers have car wash service for every car that comes in for service. Maybe that covers the sales person's promises.

It's kinda like when soldiers in Vietnam were first issued M16 rifles without cleaning kits and were told they weren't necessary. That didn't turn out so well either.

AeroCleanse
06-16-2010, 07:30 PM
I try and figure out what makes the customer think that way. You may find that they just can't afford to have the exterior done.

cobalt9123
06-16-2010, 07:53 PM
This is all you need: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/22341-reverse-test-spot.html
:props: Im the MAN

Complements of Mike Phillips.

The only "coating" I know of is the clear plastic wrap like coating that is put on with a heat gun or something. I don't know if they apply that to the whole vehicle however I believe I saw this being applied to a whole Porsche a few weeks ago (panels were taken off) on Autopia.

RTexasF
06-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Many car dealers are telling people that the car has a special "coating" (clear coat?) that does not require waxing or polishing. Is this true? or is this just a cooked up tale made up by auto dealers to sell vehicles?

It's a crock. If you'll pardon me I find it ironic that a question like this is coming from someone with "Expert Car Care" as their moniker.

Personally I use "wax" only on specific request and then only if I can't talk them out of it. Sealant is my preferred approach to paint protection after correct preparation. The salespeople at the dealership (most anyway) will say whatever it takes to watch the tail lights go out the gate.

Expert Car Care
06-16-2010, 10:31 PM
So what is this $600 Paint protection dealers are offering? Is it simply a synthetic sealant, same as what we apply? Whatever it is, it is deterring auto owners from doing anything with their car paint.

Sorry for not knowing everything Mr. Texas. If I claimed to, I'd be lying.

Phinox
06-16-2010, 10:59 PM
I think i can help with this subject. Up until a few years ago i worked for a dealership in the collision and detail department. The 600$ paint protection you are reffering to is a "special" sealant from dupont. This paint protection package comes with a warranty that covers the paint against oxidation etching and such for 5 to 7 years. But here is the catch if you wax the vehicle it voids this warranty.

Hope this helps explain why people think they do not need to wax there cars.

W.O.T Srvices
06-16-2010, 11:01 PM
So what is this $600 Paint protection dealers are offering? Is it simply a synthetic sealant, same as what we apply? Whatever it is, it is deterring auto owners from doing anything with their car paint.

Having purchased a new car in the last year, its when the salesman convinces the buyer they need paint protection, it sounds like a good deal they even say you only need to wash your car with plain water or our factory branded soap no wax needed for upto 5 years.

a quick search of Google for paint protection the 1st site says it does all this.

Protects against acid attacks (such as bird droppings - and even brake fluid!!).
Protects against salt spray.
Provides true UV filtration.
Reduces cohesion on painted surface - keeps you car cleaner!
Blocks out corrosion.
Removes of swirl marks, scratches, and orange peel in the clear coat.
Increases resale value.
Protects against fading. Paint matching in case of panel repairs is more accurate.
Comes with Satisfaction Guarantee or 5 year warranty if applied by us

It can come in several types being a Teflon type sealant a silicon sealant and other forms of shiny labeled bottles. However at the end of the day if the salesman is good he will sell the product and the owner then has the believe that their car is protected. Im not an expert on the stuff but from what i have experienced when you finally convince them they need to wax their car its still is a normal car with normal problems sometimes more.

But quick answer to your question its more like an expensive sealant.

cobalt9123
06-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Having purchased a new car in the last year, its when the salesman convinces the buyer they need paint protection, it sounds like a good deal they even say you only need to wash your car with plain water or our factory branded soap no wax needed for upto 5 years.

a quick search of Google for paint protection the 1st site says it does all this.

Protects against acid attacks (such as bird droppings - and even brake fluid!!).
Protects against salt spray.
Provides true UV filtration.
Reduces cohesion on painted surface - keeps you car cleaner!
Blocks out corrosion.
Removes of swirl marks, scratches, and orange peel in the clear coat.
Increases resale value.
Protects against fading. Paint matching in case of panel repairs is more accurate.
Comes with Satisfaction Guarantee or 5 year warranty if applied by us

It can come in several types being a Teflon type sealant a silicon sealant and other forms of shiny labeled bottles. However at the end of the day if the salesman is good he will sell the product and the owner then has the believe that their car is protected. Im not an expert on the stuff but from what i have experienced when you finally convince them they need to wax their car its still is a normal car with normal problems sometimes more.

But quick answer to your question its more like an expensive sealant.

Yes, I believe your assumption is correct. I think if there was a crazy sealant from Dupont that lasted 5-7 years and prevented all of that, we would know about it. In fact, the detail community is extremely excited that Aquartz is coming out witha sealant that lasts two years.

DualActionDtail
06-17-2010, 06:13 AM
This can certainly be a frustrating statement to battle against, especially since it is false in many ways. I wonder if there have ever been any claims by car owners after 5 or 7 years or whatever, where the "protection" package failed to protect. My guess is that folks probably fail to even care at that point, and the salesperson did their job.

I was in the express car washing business for quite a while, and this was even more frustrating then. Customers would be so convinced that "my car doesn't need wax" (mainly Saturns and other GMs...maybe just my area?), and I even had to deal with "your wax ruined my car!" a few times. This was of course a false claim, customers would point out bird/bug etchings, spotting that was obviously old from something petroleum-based, or my personal favorite: a spot that was in fact on the inside of the glass. In that realm, it was hard to deal with because the "wax" or "clear coat protectant" that an express car wash applies is in liquid form, and is applied in about 15 seconds or so. How could that possibly do anything to harm, or more importantly, help your vehicle? It was like convincing them that the "wax" is safe, but in doing so you tear your product down. Oh well, those days are gone, for me.

In the detailing realm, I find it easier to combat this statement. I really just like to ask the customer questions about what they were told, and just listen. Most of the time the customer hears themselves saying something that sounds ridiculous. Sometimes they need a little convincing, which is usually easily done as long as they are reasonable, logical people. Those that completely do not understand and are adamant about it, typically aren't the types of people that would be seeking detailing services realistically anyway.

Oh, and I guess this is my first post, though I've been browsing for a while. Hi, I'm Mark!

ScottB
06-17-2010, 09:02 AM

Sorry for not knowing everything Mr. Texas. If I claimed to, I'd be lying.

My father has been in car sales for the bulk of my life, and they commonly use nothing more than a sealant that was sold to them and marketed as the "best" or "longest" lasting.

They also realize that a new car warranty is usually as long as the period as too the warranty for the sealant. Add into it, if a customer comes back and complains, they slap on another coat. At 500-1000$ initially they already are in the money.

Aftermarket to dealers is commonly the best way to make $$ as most already know the cost of car from internet and other sources. So extended warranties, upgraded mods, paint sealants and more are offered to try to make money. Now they certainly can add value to some clients, but they also need to receive careful consideration by the purchaser.

In the end , pocket the cash and say NO to paint protection from dealers, and find something you like and use it often as possible. If it takes three years to go thru 2-3 bottles of protection at 35.00 each, is it NOT saving more than that original cost ????

Emile
06-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Clear coat is added on all cars these days to enhance the shine of the paint as well as to add UV protection and physical protection to the base coat of the paint but there is nothing protecting the clear coat.

If your customers want to drive around a car that looks like ####, then that is completely up to them. But if they want to feed you bull#### about their car not needing any wax, let them tell their story to another idiot who's willing to hear it. I'd rather spend that time staring at my car's shiny and beautiful paintwork.

So.Cal.
06-17-2010, 01:29 PM
After doing a little googling I found DuPont’s listing for their protection package. It's an interesting read through what and what not is covered. I don't want to post a link since it’s not a product AG Carries Etc. If you read through frequently asked questions it says you can wax it 24 hours after applied to give the polymer time to bond to the surface...... Sounds familiar.

When you read through the legal info I wouldn't mind selling the package using my own products for $600.00 if I had that much attorney power behind me.
Point is, in my experience you have to learn how to educate a customer without making them feel dumb. I have used printed information in a packet with my business card (not in the detailing field buts sales in general) which gives them a chance to read through it and make a decision on their own which makes people feel good about themselves.

Also, include a flyer with this info that talks about how you can wash and wax their vehicle with minimal wear and tear to the dealer applied product (which is probably already worn off) to get the most out of there purchase. No one wants to hear they were dumb to spend $600.00 on anything.
But, if approached the right way many people will agree (even after stating it never needs wax) That salesman Don't always have all the answers.(no offense to your dad killr)

You just have to get the customer to understand in a way that makes them feel as if they figured it out on their own.

And be honest. Explain if they want it polished it will remove anything that the dealer applied. I hate false sense of hope. I get enough of that when lotto gets over 100 million :)

Hope some of this helps.

I have to go wash the wifes truck so the dealer applied sealant shines.