PDA

View Full Version : cleaning pads

john b
06-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Cleaning Pads (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/26379-cleaning-pads.html)

just wondering in i can use megs all purpose cleaner to clean lake county pads-if so how would i dilute it-also could i use it do get old wax and polish off

BobbyG
06-16-2010, 06:07 AM
Welcome John,

I use Meguiar's APC full strength and liberally spray each pad allowing it to soak in and break down the chemicals. Then I'm mix up a solution of Dawn and warm water and toss them in and let the soap do most of the work. I'll scrub them occasionally and for the most part the pads come out clean.

A4 1.8tqm
06-16-2010, 06:48 AM
For sure you can. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/24797-megs-apc-cleaning-lc-pads.html

Mike Phillips
06-16-2010, 07:25 AM
-also could i use it do get old wax and polish off

Just to note... everyone wants a wax or paint sealant to last a long time right?

In order for a wax or a paint sealant to last a long time you would think it would need to be water-resistant correct? That is it won't simply wash off in a rainstorm or wash off the first time you wash your car... correct?

Point being is most compounds and polishes will wash out of buffing pads pretty easily; anything that is supposed to last a long time... you're going to have to work at it a little more to get it to "wash" out of the pad.

Most body shop approved compounds and polishes are going to be wax and silicone free or another way of referring to them would be water soluble, that is they will break down in water and will especially break down in water with some type of soap or cleaning chemical. Waxes and paint sealants by default should be water insoluble, that is they won't break down easily in water but will with some work with water and some type of soap and/or cleaning chemical. Make sense?

Here's a tip...
If you're washing pads in a bucket, wash your compound and polishing pads first, then wash any pads with waxes and paint sealants in them, this will keep your wash water cleaner or less adulterated with substances that don't break down easily in water which will make cleaning multiple compounding and polishing pads less messy.

Also for what it's worth, if you're machine applying waxes or paint sealants you shouldn't be using so much product that your pads are getting saturated to the point that they need washing, if you find your pads getting saturated then maybe cut down on the amount of product you're using.

The exception would be if you're using a cleaner/wax by machine because then you're using the cleaner/wax like a compound or polish, that is you're suing it heavy or wet and thus you'll tend and trend to saturate our pads.

Tags
Soluble
Detergent-Resistant
Insoluble

:)

BobbyG
06-16-2010, 09:12 AM
Here's a tip...
If you're washing pads in a bucket, wash your compound and polishing pads first, then wash any pads with waxes and paint sealants in them, this will keep your wash water cleaner or less adulterated with substances that don't break down easily in water which will make cleaning multiple compounding and polishing pads less messy.

:)

I never thought of it that way but you're right Mike, great point!! :props:

Would this fall under the "2 bucket system"? :laughing:

Shinystang
06-16-2010, 10:22 AM
I've applied Wolfgang 3.0 with Lake Country red foam pads that STILL repel water after several soaks in DP cleaner. Must be good stuff!!!!

Rez90
06-16-2010, 10:28 AM
I just use Pinnacle XMT Pad Cleaner. Couple sprays and some warm water and pads come clean.

andym
06-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Wish I had read this earlier!!
I applied 3m'sperfect it show car liquid wax with a LC blue pad.
Big mistake! Blue pad is way too soft and very porous for this stuff. had to wash the pad at least 4 times! Go with a gray pad that keeps more stuff on the panel and not in the pad.

embolism
06-13-2011, 03:00 PM
also do not soak your cobra indigo blues in the same bucket as your pads unless you like blue polishing pads...