PDA

View Full Version : How long does a polish last in un-opened bottle?

moss_z06
06-15-2010, 05:11 PM
I have the ceramic kit I picked up from AG and have yet to crack it open, but I am finally coming back around to being able to use it. My question is, the bottles have been in a garage setting for about 1yr and a couple of months. Should the products still be good, or is there some way for me to tell if it has gone bad?

ScottB
06-15-2010, 06:58 PM
products can last several years. Store closed properly, and outside of high temp swings. Remember to always shake very, very well before use and you'll be fine.

oldmodman
06-15-2010, 07:11 PM
I can't speak for all products in all climates.

But.

I just used a one gallon jug of Meguiar's #82 that I forgot I had and found when I was installing new storage cabinets in my garage. It had been in there for at least six years, probably a lot longer. In the summer the garage gets up to 130 degrees, and in the winter it might get down to 38 degrees. The #82 still smells, looks, and works just like the new quart bottle I have.
When it comes to wax I have many cans of Harly Wax, a pure carnauba, that is twenty years old and works just the same as it always did.

Can't tell you anything about all these "newfangled" synthetic products. Hide some in your garage and try them in a few years and let us know:xyxthumbs:

Meghan
06-16-2010, 07:45 AM
A lot of products do not get bothered by extreme temps and some do, but as long as it is sealed tight should last a long time.

W.O.T Srvices
06-16-2010, 09:12 AM
I know from experience that some can last a long long time as i was having trouble with a car that had "Bore Water stains" i asked my father what he would do "back in the day" he pulled out a cutting compound tin that was older then me by a while and i gave it ago, worked like a dream. I have no idea what it was or who made it but after using it i wish i did.

But in answer to your question some can and some can't its a hit and miss thing.

"Bore Water" is ground water heavily containing Iron ore. So every thing rusts up or has a rusted look to it.