PDA

View Full Version : Doing the roof of a van, SUV, or larger vehicle

Shane731
06-15-2010, 03:43 PM
What do you do, specifically on your own vehicles, when dealing with the roof of a large vehicle? Do you polish it, do you just do clay and cleaner wax, do you do clay-cleaner wax-wax, or what? Do you really see the need to polish the roof since the only people who are going to see it are those in motorhomes, big rigs, and airplanes/helicopters? Do you think just doing a wash, clay, and sealant on the roof is enough? Thanks for the input!

Slava
06-15-2010, 04:56 PM
On our MDX I just do wash, clay and 2 coats of Collinite 845, usually lasts 5-6 month and I don't have to worry about getting the latter out.

RTexasF
06-15-2010, 05:32 PM
On my own vehicles (and those of customers providing they are paying for it) I treat the top as THE most important part of the vehicle. It doesn't matter if they ever see it or not. It suffers the most wear and needs the most work. When the customer comes to pick up the vehicle I break out the ladder so they can see the top and explain why it is so important to clean & protect it properly. Just my way of doing things.

daveinsweethome
06-15-2010, 05:39 PM
clean, clay, then 2 coats of collinite. if truly trashed then it gets polished. most of mine are daily drivers that are mucho neglected.

01GreyStangGT
06-15-2010, 10:46 PM
I treat the top of my explorer the same as the rest of the vehicle.

Big D
06-15-2010, 11:39 PM
I agree that the top of your vehicle should be treated just as good as the rest of the surfaces. I had an employee forget to do a customers roof! Boy I will never forget that one!!!

jmp09fg2
06-16-2010, 08:31 AM
Being 6'6" I see the roof on most vehicles, so I treat the roof just like I would the tailgate or any other panel . The only thing I really hate doing are bumpers.

maximus20895
06-16-2010, 08:55 AM
I don't like doing bumpers either and i'm only 5'7"

Meghan
06-16-2010, 09:17 AM
I think the roofs need the most care the others have stated, but at 5'2" I find washing them along to be a PITA! On the Expedition I actually take my short body and get up on the roof to clean, clay and seal.
When washing I use a brush with a handle like this one.
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2109_32207178

And if doing my vehicle I layer the heck out of the sealant while up there. This way if I dont have time next time I wax I don't feel as bad.

DARK HORSE
06-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Gets the same full deal treatment (wash, clay, polish, seal) as the rest of the vehicle. However I do enlist the help of my son where ever possible...lol

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad169/tadndonna/Dodge%20after/059.jpg

Vette 03
06-16-2010, 09:53 AM
It gets the same treatment as the rest of the Vehicle :buffing::hotrod2:

Matt S.
06-16-2010, 09:59 AM
I treat it just like any other part of the car. Not a good idea to skimp since it's going to see a lot of UV exposure. Pickup trucks are nice and convenient since you can stand in the bed and have a nice flat surface to work on, but SUVs are a pain. I either stand in the door jamb or use a ladder.

D.Acker
08-11-2011, 02:44 PM
I know I'm digging up an old thread, but I wrestle with this same issue. I give the roof on our 98 Windstar the same treatment as the rest of the vehicle. However, I'm on the short side (5'6") and can't really reach the center of the roof from the ladder without putting what I believe to much weight on that roof. Granted the roof "flexes" a bit, but I did put a bit a too much weight on it last time and have a slight indention now that I need to pop back out.

Any suggestions\tips you have for getting that center part of the roof would be great.