PDA

View Full Version : layering polish and waxes?

mikeci
06-15-2010, 07:29 AM
Hi,
the last thing I did in the fall was put a couple of coats of pinnacle xmt 180 on my vette now I would like to put another coat of sealant on it. I have two questions
1) I use a combo of Klasse and pinnacle xmt 180 paste wax on my cars. can I layer the klasse over the top of layers of waxor do I have to strip off the wax?
2)on the web site it says that carnauba wax lasts 3 to 2 months. If the car sits most of the time in a garage will that increase the lasting time?
Thaks,
Mike

Mike Phillips
06-15-2010, 07:37 AM
1) I use a combo of Klasse and pinnacle xmt 180 paste wax on my cars. can I layer the klasse over the top of layers of wax or do I have to strip off the wax?

If the Klasse you're using is the Sealant Glaze then you could layer it over the wax base. If the Klasse you're using is the AIO then it contains cleaners and will likely remove most if not all the previously applied wax.

IF you're using the SG then I would recommend doing a test spot and like about a foot squared and then pull the car into different light and make sure you like the results before going over the entire car with the SG.

By doing a small section you can compare what the paint looked like with just the XMT 180 and what the paint will look like with the Klasse SG over the XMT 180.

If you apply the SG or anything over the XMT 180 there will be no way to see if you improved or diminished the end results.

(I've done a lot of wax tests)

2) on the web site it says that Carnauba wax lasts 3 to 2 months. If the car sits most of the time in a garage will that increase the lasting time?

Yes.

:)

SATracker
06-15-2010, 09:15 AM
Hey Mike, speaking of layering...
I've read that sealants and waxes can be layered but- for regular folks (not the Bentley crowd) how much difference does it make? Next week I'm doing my neighbor's BMW. After the detail work I could put a couple of layers of Wolfgang, and 9 layers of Pinnacle Souveran- but how much layering of sealant & waxes really needs to be done?

Dubbin1
06-15-2010, 10:03 AM
I've read that sealants and waxes can be layered but- for regular folks (not the Bentley crowd) how much difference does it make? Next week I'm doing my neighbor's BMW. After the detail work I could put a couple of layers of Wolfgang, and 9 layers of Pinnacle Souveran- but how much layering of sealant & waxes really needs to be done?

There was a scientific test done on another forum to determine how well wax will layer. After 2 coats you start to loose thickness in the coat of wax.

mikeci
06-15-2010, 12:21 PM

I've found that the klasse sg really gives the paint protection here in the northeast winters but it's the waxes that really make the paint "pop". I like to give the cars a layer of klasse sg every 6 months or so but have never tried to put it over the top of wax. I would use a wax stripper or 2 washes w/ dawn blue to remove the wax. if they tell me I can put it right over the wax so be it.
Mike